PDA

View Full Version : Celestials in 5e

Shadurak
2018-08-03, 07:05 AM
I've noticed a huge scarcity of celestials in 5e. Just going by the MM, there are the three angels, pegasus, unicorn, couatl... and that's it.
As a good-aligned cleric, I used to love summoning archons and the occasional leonal with planar ally and the like. Now the only viable option is the deva(no DM in their right mind will grant you a planetar or above). Don't get me wrong, for a 6th level slot and further monetary cost, you get quite the bang for your buck, but some variety would be nice. And conjure celestial is a 7th level spell... with which you can only summon a couatl at the moment. By contrast, there are dozens of different varieties of fiends and several fiend-summoning spells.
Where are the archons and the guardinals? Why are eladrins weird elves and not CG celestials? Where is the heavenly version of cambion? Is there a third-party book where these are explored?
Note - I am well aware that at least the core MM should include mostly creatures that the pcs are expected to face in battle. My issue is that this lack of celestial creatures hasn't been addressed at all since. Nor is this about what poor summoners 5e clerics are - they have plenty of strengths already. I just wish the celestial hosts received the same attention as the various demon lords and archdevils did in MToF.

Unoriginal
2018-08-03, 07:13 AM
I can certainly understand the frustration. 5e hasn't been eager to explore the Upper Planes and its inhabitants much.

That being said, we'll probably see more of them in the coming years.

Millstone85
2018-08-03, 07:49 AM
Where are the archons and the guardinals? Why are eladrins weird elves and not CG celestials?Here are my two guesses on this matter.

First, I suspect the 5e designers are leaving serious law-chaos divides to the Blood War. This is best illustrated by the MM's "Even chaotic good deities command lawful good angels". It is like, yeah, some celestials have a lawful temperament and others a chaotic one, but them being embodiments of goodness is what truly matters.

Secondly, for eladrin in particular, I think it is a matter of thematic redundancy between Arborea and the Feywild, with the latter being the clear favorite of the designers.