PDA

View Full Version : Can a Single Patron Grant Different Pacts?

Zalakoth
2018-08-03, 11:24 AM
The Question should be quite clear but in case it isn’t, here goes...

...by the way this is only for thematic purposes I’m not talking about RAW nor do I care about RAW ruling, I want to know peoples thoughts on a thematic level...

Say I have my Patron, let’s call her Becky...

Party A has a warlock, that makes an Fiend Pact with Becky...

Party B has a Warlock that makes an Undying Pact with Becky...

Becky is a Death Knight/Lich and Former Fiend. (And yes fiends can become Undead - Acererak did it.)

Would that make sense to you thematically?

A more specific example is in the world I am building, the shadowfell is nonexistent and therefore Hexblades, but I want to support any published content (I.e. Hexblade Warlock)

So... An Ancient Death Knight that can Grant Hexblade Abilities and/or Undying Abilities (but obviously not more than one to any particular character.)

ciarannihill
2018-08-03, 11:28 AM

...by the way this is only for thematic purposes I’m not talking about RAW nor do I care about RAW ruling, I want to know peoples thoughts on a thematic level...

Becky is a Death Knight/Lich and Former Fiend. (And yes fiends can become Undead - Acererak did it.)

A more specific example is in the world I am building, the shadowfell is nonexistent and therefore Hexblades, but I want to support any published content (I.e. Hexblade Warlock)

So... An Ancient Death Knight that can Grant Hexblade Abilities and/or Undying Abilities (but obviously not more than one to any particular character.)

I don't see why not? Seems like it could make for cool story moments, too -- where an enemy and a PC realize they share a patron.

Unoriginal
2018-08-03, 11:32 AM

Sure, there is no reason why not. Orcus could probably do the Undying or Fiend pact too, for example.

(And yes fiends can become Undead - Acererak did it.)

Errr, while some Fiends can become undead, or be linked with undeath enough, Acererak wasn't a Fiend. Not in 5e, at least.

I think in 4e he was a tiefling, but unless I'm mistaken the designers were pretty clear he was human originally, this time.

Stan
2018-08-03, 11:32 AM
Sure. Some deities are complex with multiple aspects, sometimes even different cults/orders for various aspects.

Unoriginal
2018-08-03, 04:04 PM
Sure. Some deities are complex with multiple aspects, sometimes even different cults/orders for various aspects.

Well, you're right, but most Patrons aren't deities, just to point out. What you're talking about is more a question of Domain.

MrStabby
2018-08-03, 04:09 PM
I don't see why not thematically. Some could be both pact patrons and cleric deities as well.

To be honest if I were to DM a world with this emphasised I would probably do something like create a patron specific spell list for players and let a theme develop there.

Temperjoke
2018-08-03, 04:31 PM
If you had a Patron that could fit the various types of pacts, I don't see why you couldn't. About the only ones I don't think would combine well would be the Celestial and Fiend pacts, the sources are kind of opposed.

In theory, if you take the approach that a "pact" is nothing more than drawing on a particular source of power, similar to one possible form of the GOO pact, you could have any of them be taught by a particularly knowledgeable wizard. I'm not saying that's the best way, but if the DM isn't planning on involving a character's patron then the actual source isn't important.

Fey Pact - draw on the native power of the Feywild
Fiend Pact - draw on the Hells or Abyss
Great Old One Pact - draw on the Far Realm
Undying Pact - drawing on the Shadowfell or ghosts or whatever feels death/afterlife enough
Celestial Pact - draw on one of the heavens
Hexblade - draw on the Shadowfell

ad_hoc
2018-08-03, 10:45 PM
No. Trying to fit those beings into multiple aspects/themes ruins all of them.

An archfiend is not also a creature from the far realm.
Cthulhu is not also a fey being.

Etc.

All themes is the same as no theme. Go for strong themes rather than a mish-mash that has no form or focus.