PDA

View Full Version : So warlock/rogue idea?

Snowbluff
2018-08-03, 11:40 AM
So I was thinking about some unorthodox combinations.

How about a rogue/warlock. With Pact of the Blade and Hexblade you can get like a bow right? Then warlock can provide extra attack and eldritch smite, and maybe even cha to damage. Meanwhile, 9 levels of rogue can give 5d6 sneak attack, a good reaction, magical ambush with arcane trickster. What do you guys think?

ciarannihill
2018-08-03, 11:44 AM

How about a rogue/warlock. With Pact of the Blade and Hexblade you can get like a bow right? Then warlock can provide extra attack and eldritch smite, and maybe even cha to damage. Meanwhile, 9 levels of rogue can give 5d6 sneak attack, a good reaction, magical ambush with arcane trickster. What do you guys think?

It's totally a thing, with Assassin or, more commonly, with Swashbuckler since they get Charisma to Initiative and have an easier time getting Sneak Attack than other Rogues (albeit in melee only).

nickl_2000
2018-08-03, 11:45 AM
Absolutely, a Hexblade 5, Rogue Scout X, Fighter Battlemaster 3, gives an amazing to hit, good skills, great action economy, and battlefield maneuvers. Drop Hex on opponents, then hit every time and roll a boatload of different die each time.

If UA is allowed and you use Fighter Scout instead of Battlemaster it's even better.

MrStabby
2018-08-03, 12:30 PM

Sure... go for it. Not sure why it is unorthodox though?

MephitBlue
2018-08-03, 12:58 PM
I'm currently playing a Hexblade 4/ Swashbuckler 3 character and it's a lot of fun. Next level should kick the character up a notch with 2 attacks from the Pact of the Chain.

Snowbluff
2018-08-03, 02:54 PM
Swash seems nice I would like to do more ranged fighting. I have lot of little melee guys. :smallsmile:

Talionis
2018-08-03, 03:12 PM
Swash seems nice I would like to do more ranged fighting. I have lot of little melee guys. :smallsmile:

Swashbuckler is mainly for 2d6 Sneak Attack, Expertise, Cunning Action, and mainly Charisma to Initiative. It all works just fine with ranged attacks.

Snowbluff
2018-08-03, 05:15 PM
mainly Charisma to Initiative.

Not worth bold for sure. If I'm doing this build my init is not really going to be any better as my dex will be lower. 'Side, init only maters on the first turn. Swash doesn't seem to add any other options...

I's the archetype on the rogue really that much of a small deal? I mean I'd like to stick in rogue for uncanny dodge at least.