PDA

View Full Version : DM help: looking for a specific monster

MagneticKitty
2018-08-03, 11:59 AM
Looking for a cr 4-7 monster that could leave a victim looking like it was an animal attack but that can hide as a human (he's posing as a guard). My first thought was werewolf, but my players cannot overcome their immunity to mundane at this level. They are level 5. Looking for a strong single monster over a pack of little ones. But I could add some lackies if the monster needs help

nickl_2000
2018-08-03, 12:06 PM
It would take a little bit more effort, but you could make an NPC Druid that has summon animals.

sky red hunter
2018-08-03, 12:07 PM
Could try an Oni, page 239 0f the MM.

has a change shape ability, to look like a medium humanoid so could be disguised as a guard.

has a claw attack so could be viewed as an animal attack.

Cr7 so fits your requirements there too.

sky red hunter
2018-08-03, 12:10 PM
night hag also has change shape and claw attack but lower cr of 5? pg 178 of the MM

MrStabby
2018-08-03, 12:14 PM
Looking for a cr 4-7 monster that could leave a victim looking like it was an animal attack but that can hide as a human (he's posing as a guard). My first thought was werewolf, but my players cannot overcome their immunity to mundane at this level. They are level 5. Looking for a strong single monster over a pack of little ones. But I could add some lackies if the monster needs help

I was thinking Gorgon (till I got to hiding like a human) - sad as they make for cool fights.

The obvious option would seem to be a Hag - claw attacks and illusion magic. In the MM there is a CR3 and a CR 5 option. The night hag will probably suit you.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-03, 12:15 PM
Thanks, I will look at these! Feel free to offer other ideas too

Draken
2018-08-03, 12:17 PM
Reminder that lycanthrope immunity can also be overcome by silvering weapons (100 gp). A service that would probably be available anywhere as the actual coinage in common circulation would be silver, so it wouldn't be a difficult material to find.

Alternative creatures to use could be a Vampire Spawn (CR 5) it has claws and a bite, not a shapechanger and would probably be working indoors, night duty ("I didn't see what happened chief, was already dead when I arrived.") or heavily covered. Or even simply a Mage NPC with the polymorph spell.

mephnick
2018-08-03, 12:22 PM
I say use a werewolf.

Damage immunity/resistance is only meaningful if it's effective. If everyone has magic weapons, there's no point in using a werewolf because they don't need to engage with one of its core mechanics. So use it while its effective. They should be worried that this thing can't be hurt by mundane means. They'll have to think of another way to defeat it. That's interesting. They're level 5, it isn't going to TPK them if they **** up. If it narratively fits in the world, put it there and let the players figure out how to beat it. That's the whole point of the hobby.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-03, 12:26 PM
It's more of for a one shot, so if I tell them to bring silvers weapons they know what's up, and we don't have large amount of time to find work arounds. Though if the party comp turns out to be at least half magic I might use a werewolf.

I like the night hag as they could be giving the npcs nightmares they can complain about as a subtle clue. I probably need to make the guards half female to avoid suspicion though

MrStabby
2018-08-03, 12:28 PM
Thanks, I will look at these! Feel free to offer other ideas too

Lizardfolk monk? Minotaur barbarian?

MagneticKitty
2018-08-03, 01:24 PM
Lizardfolk monk? Minotaur barbarian?

Looks like human? Maybe with mask of many faces. Or a changeling or shifter

ruy343
2018-08-03, 01:44 PM
If your guy instinct was to make him a werewolf, then you should stick to that. Have the players encounter silvered weapons on the wall of a grizzled old adventurer's home, or as a sacred relic in a local religious sanctuary, or for sale as the prized work of the local blacksmith/silversmith. Doing so puts them within reach of the characters, and might create a fun moral quandary as they decide to "borrow" them from the townsfolk.

Al alternative would be a doppleganger. Technically, they can only pose as a humanoid, but you're the DM, so you can do what you want with your dopplegangers

MagneticKitty
2018-08-03, 02:10 PM
If your guy instinct was to make him a werewolf, then you should stick to that. Have the players encounter silvered weapons on the wall of a grizzled old adventurer's home, or as a sacred relic in a local religious sanctuary, or for sale as the prized work of the local blacksmith/silversmith. Doing so puts them within reach of the characters, and might create a fun moral quandary as they decide to "borrow" them from the townsfolk.

Al alternative would be a doppleganger. Technically, they can only pose as a humanoid, but you're the DM, so you can do what you want with your dopplegangers

I did envision this taking place at a palace. Maybe there is expensive silverware they can melt down and use to silver their weapons.. Then the head of the house they're protecting can be like, nnnooooo not my good dinnerware! :(
Lol.
Other than his tankiness, Werewolf is a bit weak cr 3 for a group of 5 lv chars... assuming they can get past his immunity, what's a good way to beef him up to cr 5ish without making him too tough? Give him some class levels? Monk / barb?
Also might make two versions of him, one harder version cr 7 to use if they befriend the necromancer npc who turns out to be not all that bad, and an easier cr 5 version that they can face alone. Or maybe the same cr 5 + lackies or not.

Rixitichil
2018-08-03, 02:32 PM
An Arenea maybe? If you are happy with person dead by spider bite and the villain a shapechanging spider.

Lamia also fits, it has the Claw attacks from the lion part of its form and can take humanoid form and charm from its innate spellcasting.

Succubus similarly has Claw attacks in its fiend form and can easily hide.

MrStabby
2018-08-03, 04:13 PM
Looks like human? Maybe with mask of many faces. Or a changeling or shifter

My original suggestion was going to be warlock with mask of many faces... then I go a bit side-tracked into thinking of NPCs to add to my campaign.

Must stay focused.

JackPhoenix
2018-08-04, 08:38 AM
Even if there's no spellcaster, no silver and no magic weapons, I find it hard to believe level 5 characters can't set someone on fire. Starting fires is the basic skill of any adventurer.

If you want quick and dirty way to make the enemy more dangerous for level 5 characters, don't bother with class levels. Werebears are CR 5, or take existing NPC stat block (gladiator, for example) and add werewolf abilities on top. The resulting CR will be higher than before, but calculating it isn't that hard.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-06, 10:40 AM
Even if there's no spellcaster, no silver and no magic weapons, I find it hard to believe level 5 characters can't set someone on fire. Starting fires is the basic skill of any adventurer.

If you want quick and dirty way to make the enemy more dangerous for level 5 characters, don't bother with class levels. Werebears are CR 5, or take existing NPC stat block (gladiator, for example) and add werewolf abilities on top. The resulting CR will be higher than before, but calculating it isn't that hard.

Ok, so add werewolf like a template. That's a good idea. Follow the "pc werewolf" rules or just take the highest of the two stat blocks and the highest unnatural weapons and add senses and speeds?