PDA

View Full Version : First time DnD player, looking for Backstory feedback

UsdaSelect
2018-08-03, 12:01 PM
So I've been wanting to play for years with friends but we've never been able to get things going due to a conglomerate of things. Finally about to start a Skype campaign as we're mostly separated. But I was planning on an Aarakocra Storm Sorcerer with a Lawful Evil alignment and criminal background. Yes our DM is fine with the flight, we're starting at level 3 anyway so it won't be as much of an issue. Anyway, I just wanted some feedback on some of the choices I have made for the character and if it seemed like it may be able to work or not, thanks!

Aarakocra Storm Sorcerer

Life Story
Struck by lightning at 6 months old, killing parents while giving him sorcerer abilities
Powers aren't able to be controlled and tribe ostracizes him
Leaves mountain in search of answers for why given these powers
Contacted by Pazuzu, recruited to serve the demon in return for answers to his powers
Trains for next year under Pazuzu in secret, learning to control powers while committing to servantship to Pazuzu
During training, is tasked with various tasks, such as converting others to become worshippers of Pazuzu
Becomes well versed criminal, able to utilize his charismatic personality and natural sorcerer powers to his advantage
Favored in the eyes of Pazuzu, tasked now with finding Rod of Seven Parts

Personality Traits:
I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
I put on new identities like clothes. Few know who I really am, and the rest know one of my many persona.
I’m a quick thinker, able to fabricate the words necessary to keep me alive.
Ideals:
Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings. (Any)
Logic. Emotions must not cloud our logical thinking. (Lawful)
Power. Solitude and contemplation are paths toward mystical or magical power. (Evil)

Bonds:
Careful with words, my word is my bond. The true interpretation of those words, however, is left to my own judgement.
I owe my life to the demon who took me in when my parents died.

Flaws:
I secretly believe that everyone is beneath me.
Will have others lead charges into battle and conspicuous terrains to preserve himself.

Memories:
Faded memories of parents in arguments over who was to blame (but for what?)
Discovered young Tortle on mountain by himself upon leaving, dropped him off in nearby town with group of soldiers
Secrets:
A fourth figure was present the day he was given his powers but never was able to be identified
Up to DM, possibly could be Pazuzu? Maybe he was directly responsible for the death of parents and result of powers

Coventry
2018-08-03, 10:42 PM
The single most important feature of any role playing character is that the character must be willing to adventure with others. You've hit that pretty well. He may decide that they are beneath him, but useful. He may decide that they are entertaining, and he wants to see what they do, next. He may decide that they cover his weak areas while he builds power. Or they may e a source of income.

But beyond that key point, though, it is difficult to know how well the character will fit in with the group dynamic.

noob
2018-08-04, 02:21 AM
I do not think that a fully goody team of adventurers that adventure not for money but for saving the world and other similar stuff would recruit that sorcerer rather than anyone else.(they would probably not go murderous against him but they would probably decline his help and if they really need an ally go somewhere else to recruit)
So what are the adventurers of your group and what do they do and how do they behave.(ask yourself this question about the gm and the players too in the case where by mistake you would be gaming with people which would not be friendly with you)

BWR
2018-08-04, 02:24 AM
The most important thing with a backstory is that it is not that important. Most characters I make are pretty blank slates with only a vague idea of background, personality and motivations which may change drastically as I play them and figure out who they are. Backstories can very easily be left blank and developed as needed/feels appropriate during play.

IME, backstories as driving force and definition of a character has only really been necessary in legacy games, where PCs are raised by former PCs/NPCs and are intimately tied to the politics and social setting due to their parentage and previous games.

noob
2018-08-04, 02:32 AM
The most important thing with a backstory is that it is not that important. Most characters I make are pretty blank slates with only a vague idea of background, personality and motivations which may change drastically as I play them and figure out who they are. Backstories can very easily be left blank and developed as needed/feels appropriate during play.

IME, backstories as driving force and definition of a character has only really been necessary in legacy games, where PCs are raised by former PCs/NPCs and are intimately tied to the politics and social setting due to their parentage and previous games.

Well being an evil pazuzu worshipper makes someone have an harder time cooperating with a good aligned team.
some good aligned team considers that they are going to check if you are good first by dispelling you and your equipment then using detect good and if you do not ping as good or if you ping as both good and evil they are likely to refuse you.(usually they are clear with it but maybe they forgot to tell you)
I mean when going to save the world against the evil lich the first thing is to not accept the evil lich in your adventurer team so paranoia is justified.

Reversefigure4
2018-08-04, 06:38 AM
I'd strongly advise against playing an evil character for a new player and a new group, period, let alone one who worships a corrupt demon lord of betrayal.

Most parties are not going to be able to work with this guy. He lies to them, thinks they're beneath him, and wants them to die for his tactical advantage. Are the other players happy to play with this sort of character?

Most adventure hooks for pre-written adventures assume the PCs are driven by a general desire to do good, make money, and fight monsters. Most of them won't adapt well to one party member having a goal of corrupting people to demon worship, and many standard plot hooks ("Help the orphans", "Clear the mine of goblins so our trade can resume", "Aid the Church of Light by defeating these demons") will be flat out rejected by him. Is the GM happy to run the sort of adventures your character will need?

Now, this may not be the case for your particular group. Perhaps the players and DM are all on board with playing an adventure centered around the personal goals of an evil, backstabbing party. But this is hard stuff to work with - hard for the players, hard for the GM, hard to generate fun sessions out of.

For a generic standard first time group, I'd advise something much simpler for all concerns, like running some of the basic pre-written adventures, with basic plot hooks like "The goblins have taken over our mine. Brave adventurers, here's 500 gold pieces to clear them out."