PDA

View Full Version : rogue knifethrower (mastermind) mc?

Thyzon
2018-08-03, 01:45 PM
Im making a character and have a conceåt of being a character that dosnt look dangerous, no shown weapons, a smooth talker/planner/deceiver with alots of stuff for rp with different disguises and stuff around him.

i think i have settled on halfelf rogue mastermind and charlatan, and i like the mastermind help action thing in combat.

unless im allowed to roll stats im planning to go with str 8, dex 16, con 10 int 14, wis 14 and cha 14

but i think combat might be a little dull after awhile with just throwing a knif and then use help as a bonus action so i want to mix in something more helpfull in combat.

Im thinking 4 or 5 levels of rogue and then multiclass battlemaster figther for atleast 3 levels maybe more, not sure about how far to go since sneak attack will be an important damage source.

and i know that a throwing dagger build isnt an optimal build for damage. i just want to build a fun character and treyying to maximize the concept as much as possible within the boundaries of my character.

and maybe straigth rogue will do more damage but as i said i want abit more diversity and some abilities to controll a fight.

any ideas? either on what i have or n other mc idea (or maybe even different rogue subclass)

thanks in advance

Corran
2018-08-03, 02:05 PM
A ranged rogue wants to use his bonus action either to set up advantage via cunning action hiding, or to make a bonus action attack (either via twf or crossbow expert) when their first attack does not connect. This is because the rogue wants to deliver their sneak attack damage payload every round.

Now, since the mastermind has another good use of a bonus action in the help action (and in range!), it would make sense to multiclass into something that offers you extra attack (so that's probably 5-6 levels into the second class), assuming you want to multiclass in the first place.

Warlock could potentially fit what you want to play. Pact of the blade for the extra attack and for summoning a weapon out of nowhere, mask of many faces for disguise at will (combined with the cantrip friends and with the actor feat), plus whatever other goodies a warlock has to offer.

Talionis
2018-08-03, 02:23 PM
This is an archetype I wish was more supported in 5E.

Honestly talk to your DM about how they rule with drawing weapons in the action economy. You may want to get the Dual Wielder feat, to draw two weapons a turn. Getting Extra Attack from some source is very nice in order to throw two knives a turn. If you miss, you miss all your Sneak Attack for the turn. Even if one of your attacks needs to be a melee attack and the other attack is a thrown attack, attacking twice lets you miss with one and still pop your Sneak Attack for the turn. On that note the Sentinel feat is great for Rogues because you can pop Sneak Attack on your turn and on other turns so if you can attack of opportunity you can double your rate of sneak attack.

Extra Attack could be Fighter which would also open up Two Weapon Fighting style as a solid consideration. But you could also look at Monk, you have the Wisdom....

Monk can do a lot of things. For just one level you get an unarmed defense. You also get to throw with your Dexterity. This lets you throw Hand Axes for more damage than daggers, if you are worried about the Fluff, the rules allow for lots of flexibility on describing the appearance of your weapons. But more levels provide other benefits and access to Extra Attack.

A weird choice that feels like it could be on theme is Warlock. Shadow Blade is a 2nd level spell, it can be thrown and it can increase in damage as you cast it out of higher spell slots. But your kind of character seems like it might benefit from Disguise Self Invocation. Many of the Invocations lend themselves to social use.

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-03, 03:22 PM
I’d go with Monk. Look even less dangerous since no armor, and Monk weapons increase in damage as you level, meaning that you can do more damage with your dagger.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-03, 04:40 PM
Extra attack (3+) can play poorly with thrown builds because you run out of interactions to draw new knives.

A straight Rogue character won't run into that problem.

If you have enough Knives and start combat with at least one drawn you'll be fine up to extra attack (2) though.

Just something to think about.

iTreeby
2018-08-03, 05:13 PM
If your DM is the type who likes creative thinking you can play around the one weapon draw per turn limitation by using slight of hand in combat to take things from your opponent. Draw weapons that they aren't using from their belt with your action or grab their arrows. If you wanna be basic you could just attack without throwing your daggar sometimes.

Thyzon
2018-08-03, 05:45 PM
Allts of good tips.

And geting an extra attack is some5hing i have though about. (One of the reason for fighter)

Warlock might work and gives a good book for the dm tp integrate in the story how i get the cnnection to a sentient weapon, atleast i think its hexblade bladelock that would be best.

Monk is intriguing as well.

And dualwielderfeat was something I thought to take at fighter lvl 4 (if I multiclass fighter) and an asi at rogue 4 (maybe sharpshooter)

iTreeby
2018-08-03, 06:06 PM
And dualwielderfeat was something I thought to take at fighter lvl 4 (if I multiclass fighter) and an asi at rogue 4 (maybe sharpshooter)
Daggers are not ranged weapons so without DM house rule, sharpshooter doesn't give you anything for daggers.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-03, 06:11 PM
Daggers are not ranged weapons so without DM house rule, sharpshooter doesn't give you anything for daggers.

Good point. It would work with Darts (perhaps refluffed as throwing knives) though.

Thyzon
2018-08-04, 07:37 AM

There is a sage advise that the two first things work with daggers, extra range and do not care about cover

Thyzon
2018-08-20, 04:00 PM
Created the character yesterday.

Its a Female halfelf rogue with 8, 16, 10, 14, 14, 14

Background charlatan.

Will probably go rogue to lvl 4 and then 6 level fighter and then rest probably rogue.

She has a good background with alots of disguises