PDA

View Full Version : Does the Paladin's "Divine Health" feature require a spell slot?

TonyTheShrimp
2018-08-03, 02:07 PM
I'm new to dnd and can't tell if I need to prepare Divine Health as one of my spells, or if from Level 3 on I'm just immune to disease, period. Any input would be appreciated!

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-03, 02:08 PM
Nope, you're just permanently immune to disease.

TonyTheShrimp
2018-08-03, 02:12 PM
Yes.

Thank you Blood of Gaea!

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-03, 02:25 PM
Yes.

Thank you Blood of Gaea!
Now your dreams of visiting every brothel in the world can come true.

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-03, 02:45 PM

You joke, but one of the character ideas I've got actually does like to spend time at brothels to 'shelter his light' and revel in life's delights.
After all, why fight evil if you don't enjoy what you're fighting for?

Corran
2018-08-03, 02:50 PM
What do you think ancients palys do in their downtime?

Exocist
2018-08-04, 04:05 AM
What do you think ancients palys do in their downtime?

Dive into the thick underbrush? :smalltongue:

EDIT: On second thoughts...

Kindle the Light: Through your acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.
Shelter the Light: Where there is good, beauty, love, and laughter in the world, stand against the wickedness that would swallow it. Where life flourishes, stand against the forces that would render it barren.
Preserve Your Own Light: Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can't preserve it in the world.
Be the Light: Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all your deeds.

I'm not sure how far of a stretch that really is...

Angelalex242
2018-08-04, 04:57 PM
Dive into the thick underbrush? :smalltongue:

EDIT: On second thoughts...

I'm not sure how far of a stretch that really is...

Ancients Paladins just have to be careful there's no exploitation going on. Which is why I think they're less into brothels and more into multiple lovers in multiple towns :P

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-04, 07:43 PM
Ancients Paladins just have to be careful there's no exploitation going on. Which is why I think they're less into brothels and more into multiple lovers in multiple towns :P

Or maybe helping the poor widow re-find her inner light by spending the night with her in 'prayer'.
I'm sure if they work their magic and 'lay on hands' in the right spots, it can be quite the religious experience..

"No, you guys go ahead to the tavern. I must help this poor woman find her inner light again. I'll see you all in the morning."

Eriol
2018-08-04, 08:56 PM
A pally (or anybody with the ability to cure disease) could do a lot of good in a brothel. For both the employees and by extension, the patrons.

How do you stop an outbreak? Vaccinate the main vectors first. For STIs, this would work great. Then start saying that all customers have to get "touched" by the pally as they come in so they can't re-infect. Soon STIs would die out (for the most part) in the area of the brothel.

For even more "interesting" roleplay, try justifying that your 3rd-level paladin WORKS in such a place, helping her co-workers through her (or his) powers.

Epidemiology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology) is fun!

Angelalex242
2018-08-04, 11:27 PM
Or maybe helping the poor widow re-find her inner light by spending the night with her in 'prayer'.
I'm sure if they work their magic and 'lay on hands' in the right spots, it can be quite the religious experience..

"No, you guys go ahead to the tavern. I must help this poor woman find her inner light again. I'll see you all in the morning."

Well, since the Paladins do tend to have Charisma 20, I'm sure there's no end of women signing up to 'find their inner light again' :smallamused:

HappyDaze
2018-08-05, 04:12 AM
I've never seen a D&D world yet that really has too many issues with disease outbreaks, even in brothels. When one does occur, it's only a local problem up until somebody with divine magic wakes up and puts in a few days of work. D&D doesn't really hold disease in the same place as Warhammer's Old World.

Depending on how modern your game goes with the definition of disease, paladins can be curing tooth decay and obesity with a touch too.