PDA

View Full Version : Home-brew class idea and question

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-03, 03:13 PM
I have been thinking of creating a class for DnD for a while and have a idea for a class I may wanna try to create in the future, I am still going around the ropes of even creating subclasses so this is something that I won't create for a while but it's something I have an idea for am might wanna try create in the future. It's a class idea I had while looking at the artificer revised and it's essentially a martial fighting class but it has a cyborg esc theme to it with mixing steampunk esc technology with the human body, the question is that I realised that some of the ideas I have make the abilities they gain from their archetype (which they gain at level 1) most of the main abilities it gets, I did this to add versatility and make it so this class could allow for dexterous flying machine type characters and strong golem type characters so I want to hear what people say, is having the subclass decide most of the character's abilities and uses a bad idea or can it work?

Anonymouswizard
2018-08-03, 05:49 PM
Okay, list of questions.

Why does this have to be a class? Why not a set of subclasses, or feats?
Can't you think of a decent number of general abilities they would all have?
Can't you refluff other abilities into having cyborg parts?
Would you rather have cyborg parts as items?

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-03, 06:40 PM
1) not really as I want this to be heavily based around using technology to assist in fighting instead of other methods, the fighter uses weapon martial arts, the rogue uses tactics and stealth, the barbarian uses brute strength, the monk uses hand to hand combat and etc. I wanted this to be much more focused on that and the other classes kind of clash with that theme and for the feats suggestion, same problem.

2)I can think of some abilities but I am thinking of it having a wide amount of versatility, kind of like how you would build a robot with you being able to decide on how you design them, I thinking about this more may change it to be something similar to the warlock's pact boon but I see the subclasses as the thing that they design themselves for so you would naturally gain a wide amount of abilities from it

3) when you look at some of them it doesn't really feel all to cyborg esc. you could copy the action surge and call it power surge or something but then you steal a main thing about the fighter, same goes for other things so I don't think that could work all that well (if you have some suggestions though I am willing to hear it)

4) definitely not, this class is about fusing technology into the body and use said technology for multiple different things, just having a item doesn't capture that feel at all in my opinion

(this is just a class idea so far, I haven't taken into consideration the stats or abilities yet just throwing them around a bit)

and I like the idea of the subclass dictating a lot about them as it adds more of a mechanical and gameplay uniqueness to the class but at the same time I am a little unsure about how people may feel about that

JNAProductions
2018-08-03, 06:47 PM
Weapons can be cybernetics. Hell, your Ability Score Improvements could be augments to your robo-bits. Same with the Monk-which hits harder, robo-fist or regular fist? Rogues can have chameleon weave under their skin that improves with level, increasing their stealth, Barbarians... See Senator Armstrong from Revengeance.

Really, if you can't think of how to refluff an existing class to make this work, you're not trying very hard. Now, that's not to say you SHOULDN'T design your own class-far from it. But you're going to have to have MECHANICAL goals, not just fluff ones, since fluff ones can generally be achieved in the system as-is.

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-03, 06:57 PM
huh, those are good suggestions and I like what you are saying, I realise that yeah some abilities are ones now that I could refluff abilities and such. I guess I was being a little blind there, but my main question would be is having the archetype of the class dictate a lot more about the characters' abilities than it's base class be a good idea? I feel it would be as to give mechanical and gameplay a unique feeling and giving it the versatility that over classes have but at the same time the way it is versatile could be a problem

JNAProductions
2018-08-03, 06:59 PM
huh, those are good suggestions and I like what you are saying, I realise that yeah some abilities are ones now that I could refluff abilities and such. I guess I was being a little blind there, but my main question would be is having the archetype of the class dictate a lot more about the characters' abilities than it's base class be a good idea? I feel it would be as to give mechanical and gameplay a unique feeling and giving it the versatility that over classes have but at the same time the way it is versatile could be a problem

See Ranger. Also, see putting things in the wrong subforum.

Point is, so long as the class is more or less as strong as every other class, who cares if that power comes from the subclass or the main chassis?

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-03, 07:02 PM
ahhh okay thank you very much, I would possibly consider something where at each time they would gain a abi/feat they also gain a type of modification and they can choose said modification, I feel that this would fit with the cyborg theme of upgrading themselves but I will have to be careful as to not make that ability too overpowered

also, this was mainly to answer my questions and too see what people think and what people would say about making a class, I am going to start thinking about how to actually make this class now