PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How can i adapt marvel's juggernaut in the DND 5e?

lordorinko
2018-08-03, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone;

One of my friends is very new to DND and he asked me what can he be in the game. and ofc i said ''anything.'' He wanted to be the juggernaut from marvel. I immediately told him to go bear totem barb since juggernaut is only non-resistant to the high psychic attacks and mystic attacks.

JUGGERNAUT's FEATURES:

-Super-strength (big surprise, huh) but only attacks with fists/knuckles
-Durability: He is resistant to all physical attacks and can be harmed by high level psychic attacks
-Regenerative Healing Factor: He can regenerate himself from being drained to a skeleton.( but second wind like small heal will do just fine)
-Irresistible Force Embodiment: Once he begins to advance in a certain direction, it is virtually impossible to halt his movement. (in game version could be any rush attacks)

That are the things he wants to apply and i'm unable to make a character that would work as fine as other pure class party members.

But he also wants to wear medium/heavy armor and attack with his fists only, plus he wants to get some sort of self heal. And none of that paladin bull****.

As a last request he wanted the iconic juggernaut stampede attack.

As of now i'm struggling between barb for resistances/monk for unarmed dmg/fighter for armor and second wind heal.

Can you give me any build ideas pls??

Douche
2018-08-03, 05:06 PM
I think the Enlarge spell would help.

Pick a Goliath for your race.

The unstoppable thing... hmm... Freedom of Movement would prevent you from being restrained in any way.

I don't know what else; just throwing some ideas out there... Maybe there are magic items that can replicate this stuff.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-08-03, 05:14 PM
Play a moon druid, turn into a horse.

Horses get a trample attack that can work as the stampede. A moon druid has incredible durability thanks to their forms. They can use spell slots while in-form to heal themselves. And they fight bare "handed".

Later, upgrade to an elephant. Then a triceratops.

...What?

OH, you wanted to do that while remaining human.

Tough call. Totem barbarian's probably the best at it, even if it isn't all that precise. You certainly feel unstoppable.

Unoriginal
2018-08-03, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone;

One of my friends is very new to DND and he asked me what can he be in the game. and ofc i said ''anything.'' He wanted to be the juggernaut from marvel. I immediately told him to go bear totem barb since juggernaut is only non-resistant to the high psychic attacks and mystic attacks.

JUGGERNAUT's FEATURES:

-Super-strength (big surprise, huh) but only attacks with fists/knuckles
-Durability: He is resistant to all physical attacks and can be harmed by high level psychic attacks
-Regenerative Healing Factor: He can regenerate himself from being drained to a skeleton.( but second wind like small heal will do just fine)
-Irresistible Force Embodiment: Once he begins to advance in a certain direction, it is virtually impossible to halt his movement. (in game version could be any rush attacks)

That are the things he wants to apply and i'm unable to make a character that would work as fine as other pure class party members.

But he also wants to wear medium/heavy armor and attack with his fists only, plus he wants to get some sort of self heal. And none of that paladin bull****.

As a last request he wanted the iconic juggernaut stampede attack.

As of now i'm struggling between barb for resistances/monk for unarmed dmg/fighter for armor and second wind heal.

Can you give me any build ideas pls??

Variant human with Tavern Brawler feat, Cavalier Fighter.

Can literally run down people by rushing at them.

He won't have resistance, but if he wants armor and the rest, then it's the best offer.

I have no idea what he want armor, though. The Juggernaut doesn't wear armor.

But honestly you should have a talk with him and explain that when you meant "anything", you didn't mean it literally.

You're not a character in either a supernatural pact narrative or one of those depressing "trapped by debts/blackmailed so they ruin their lives by agreeing to do anything" stories.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-03, 06:02 PM
Aasiamr totem Barbarian would have a self heal, plus get the fluff has them wear a masks which iJuggernaught like in it's own way. Bear Totem at 3 for Defenses, Later Elk Totem at 14 for the Stampede. Refluffed as Elephant totem if you want. Tavern Brawler for fist damage

Alternatively since Juggernaut is the avatar of Cyttorak, you could go Fiend Pact Warlock. Temp HP to represent the toughness.

Also while they don't wear armor there is a Juggernaut Warforged that get 1d4 unarmed strikes from the get go.

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/723UA_EberronRaces7232018.pdf

lordorinko
2018-08-03, 06:35 PM
I have no idea what he want armor, though. The Juggernaut doesn't wear armor.

He has his helmet, boots and that half-plate/t-shirt thing he wears

Anymage
2018-08-03, 07:02 PM
Ask the player what they're willing to give up on two fronts; overall power level (low level D&D characters need to build up to high end super levels instead of starting right there), and how often he's "on" (since D&D gets pretty involved in resource management, while supers tend to be much freer with their powers).

Bear totem barbarian looks like it'd be a good base for someone implacable. Give a d10 or even d12 bludgeoning slam attack instead of weapon proficiencies (on par with a two-handed martial weapon), allow it to count as magic after a certain level, and you touch on the major points. He'll need to pick and chose when to pop a rage for full juggernaut mode, but that's well within D&D's expectations.

Only question is how he wants his selfheal. If he's okay with it being more of a downtime thing, that's what hit dice are. If he wants it available in battle, I could see allowing the use of healing surges (spend an action to spend up to half your hit dice) as a half feat. If he really wants to go all in, I'd allow "can healing surge" to sub in for the +1 Con on Durable. That should be plenty of damage resistance without overstepping what's reasonable for a D&D character of whatever level.

Unoriginal
2018-08-03, 08:18 PM
He has his helmet, boots and that half-plate/t-shirt thing he wears

The helmet is to avoid getting mind-blasted, and pretty sure the rest is just to make him look scary.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-08-04, 03:22 AM
You might want to look at the Path of the Juggernaut Barbarian from the Tal'Dorei campaign setting from Critical Role.

3rd level: while raging, knock opponents back 5 feet, then move 5 feet into their prior position
3rd level: while raging, you can't be knocked prone
6th level: melee attacks do double damage to objects and structures. +1d8 to constructs
10th level: extra cleave attacks
14th level: while raging, your speed can't be reduced, and gain immunity to fear, paralyzation, stunning

Hope this helps.

Dungeon-noob
2018-08-04, 05:40 AM
Step one: explain to the player that he will never really be the same as the juggernaut. Jugs has a much higher power level then even 20th level D&D characters, and since i doubt you'll be starting him there, he will be much weaker then even that for a loong time.

Step two: identify what feel he wants from this, why he is asking for the juggernaut specificly. is it the unstoppability? the unstoppable movement? the durability? the sheer smashing power? figure that out and then build a character that best embodies that. I expect the sheer physical, MANLY power to be the draw, so i think barbarian is easily the likeliest best choice.

Step three: build the character together, and explain what the character can do and will likely feel/be like to play in the game. If he's not happy with something that comes up here, it's easier to fix it in session 0 then several nights into the campaign. If you have the time, take him through a few small encounters of each pillar and see how rolls. Let him try the character out and see if he can play him well.

Don't forget to keep the conversation open and mature for the both of you, and see where you are willing to compromise. If he wants a particular thing really bad, see what magic item you can cook up to help. If you tell him a particular idea really can't be done, either from a mechanical perspective or for balance reasons, he has to accept that in the end.

Hope everything works out and no hard feelings will be had

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-04, 07:54 AM
If you’re okay with using Unearthed Arcana material, then Order of the Immortal Mystic might be a good way to go with this. Especially with the Tavern Brawler feat. You can do pretty devastating barehanded damage with the right skills, and can eventually work up to some resistances as well. It will take a little while to fully come online, but it might be your best bet.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-08-04, 11:37 AM
If you’re okay with using Unearthed Arcana material, then Order of the Immortal Mystic might be a good way to go with this. Especially with the Tavern Brawler feat. You can do pretty devastating barehanded damage with the right skills, and can eventually work up to some resistances as well. It will take a little while to fully come online, but it might be your best bet.
Mystic is generally the best bet for superheroes, but particularly for a new player I'd say just a straight Barbarian build would be easiest. The new Warforged Juggernaut would get him plenty of inbuilt strength, toughness, and "can't be worn down"-ness.