PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Polymorphamory - Updates, and requests for forms I've missed.

Draxar
2018-08-03, 06:56 PM
So, I make and update the Polymorphamory (https://goo.gl/6iTJMq) guide on good forms for shapeshifting. I've recently added in Beastiary 5 and 6, Magical Beast Shape, and Fey form. And I'm pretty happy with it. But I'm aware that there are cool forms I'm missing from it.

Part of this will be normal human incompetence; I don't have a Headband of Intellect, so I miss things. However, there's also the issue that I used to build it using the Pathfinder Community spreadsheet, which had all the Bestiaries, all the APs, as well as a few other things like Tome of Horrors*. And that was really useful, as you can filter by type, size, source. Search for specific abilities. Etc, etc.

Unfortunately, sometime around 2014 (IIRC), that stopped updating. I've gone through Beastiaries 5 & 6 more manually, and grabbed'n'added everything useful I could find from there.

But it's just not practical, nor something I'm interested in, to go through every single monster in every AP and Campaign setting book.

So, if you've spotted any good forms I've not got in my guide, let me know. Links to them on d20pfsrd preferred, but just the name'n'why it's so great and I'll google myself.

Don't through any and everything my way - whilst some areas of the guide have quite a few options, I'm trying to always keep it distinct - maybe a couple of options for 'lots of attacks' and 'one big attack' at each level, but not a dozen where it's clear that one has actually better damage dice or other abilities.

* I've generally left the various versions of Tome of Horrors out, as they're third party, even though they often get used in APs. I'm unsure whether in our out is the best for them, so would be open to hearing some thoughts on that.

Kurald Galain
2018-08-03, 07:10 PM
You can check the Magus guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus), which offers suggestions for every polymorph spell on the Magus list. And the Magus has a lot of polyspells on his list...

Draxar
2018-08-03, 07:18 PM
You can check the Magus guide

And I already have a lot of forms in my guide. Including, so far as I can see, literally every form you suggest in your list of spells (albeit, that's from a quick glance through).

If there's any I've missed, please suggest them specifically.

Ellrin
2018-08-05, 01:17 AM
Not that it's necessarily a great form, and I'm a little fuzzy on the legality, but when I was running through potential MP forms on pfsrd last year, I noticed that the only Tiny monstrous humanoid I could find was the karkinoi brood swarm. I haven't found any rulings on whether swarms are viable forms for the standard polymorph spells, and it seems like people on the internet are generally divided on whether it's RAW, so dependent on DM ruling, there may be a Tiny monstrous humanoid after all. Darkvision 60' and swim 30'.

On the opposite end of the size spectrum, there's the Huge gegenees, which has six arms capable of holding weapons or making 2d6 slams-plus-grabs. It's not going to win awards for raw damage per attack or special abilities, but for making as many attacks per round as you can at a native 15' reach, it's pretty nice. Darkvision 60' and LLV are its only other bonuses for polymorphers.

EDIT:
Just noticed you have gegenees listed under giant form, though from what I'm seeing, it looks like it's a monstrous humanoid (giant), not a humanoid (giant). Is pfsrd mistaken here?

Draxar
2018-08-05, 06:54 AM
Not that it's necessarily a great form, and I'm a little fuzzy on the legality, but when I was running through potential MP forms on pfsrd last year, I noticed that the only Tiny monstrous humanoid I could find was the karkinoi brood swarm. I haven't found any rulings on whether swarms are viable forms for the standard polymorph spells, and it seems like people on the internet are generally divided on whether it's RAW, so dependent on DM ruling, there may be a Tiny monstrous humanoid after all. Darkvision 60' and swim 30'.

I might take a look, but to me:

Polymorph: a polymorph spell transforms your physical body to take on the shape of another creature …

Each polymorph spell allows you to assume the form of a creature of a specific type,

Polymorph spells let you take the form of single individuals, not swarms, unless specifically mentioned otherwise (as IIRC at least one Druid archetype and/or item allows.)

On the opposite end of the size spectrum, there's the Huge gegenees, which has six arms capable of holding weapons or making 2d6 slams-plus-grabs. It's not going to win awards for raw damage per attack or special abilities, but for making as many attacks per round as you can at a native 15' reach, it's pretty nice. Darkvision 60' and LLV are its only other bonuses for polymorphers.

EDIT:
Just noticed you have gegenees listed under giant form, though from what I'm seeing, it looks like it's a monstrous humanoid (giant), not a humanoid (giant). Is pfsrd mistaken here?

Hmm, think I spotted "Giant" and didn't think much harder.

That being said, Giant Form I says:

When you cast this spell you can assume the form of any Large humanoid creature of the giant subtype

And II says

This spell functions as giant form I except that it also allows you to assume the form of any Huge creature of the giant subtype

So I'd argue maybe the Gegenees counts? Might well be a DM by DM call though

Ellrin
2018-08-05, 07:15 AM
Yeah, the debates I've seen on the subject of swarm eligibility for polymorph tend to hinge on whether swarms are considered for all rule-relevant intents and purposes to be "single" creatures or not. I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on whether that's the case or not, but I figured it was at least worth pointing out for DMs who want to make that particular conclusion.

OgresAreCute
2018-08-05, 07:39 AM
That being said, Giant Form I says:

When you cast this spell you can assume the form of any Large humanoid creature of the giant subtype

And II says

This spell functions as giant form I except that it also allows you to assume the form of any Huge creature of the giant subtype

So I'd argue maybe the Gegenees counts? Might well be a DM by DM call though

Not really a DM call, Giant Form 2 unambiguously allows you to take the form of any huge creature with the giant subtype, regardless of actual type. A DM could decide to arbitrarily nerf it, but by RAW the Gegenees is totally fine.

Cyrocloud
2018-08-06, 09:56 PM
Kinda minor but you didn't list ,use under fae form, they are probably worth a note for 5 ranged natural attack KS that do 4d6 sonic damage. This could see a some fun with a vital strike build or with an eldritch archer magus. Considering it is a 3rd level spell that is a lot of damage at level 5, especially since I believe the spell can be shared with a familiar.

Sayt
2018-08-07, 04:56 AM
Looks like you're missing the Alien (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/form-of-the-alien-dragon/)and Eastern/Primal (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/form-of-the-exotic-dragon/)Dragon shape spells

baeleg
2018-10-01, 08:07 PM
First, thanks for the awesome guide. Been using it for some time, really appreciate it.

Here are a couple of things I found.

Sprites are Diminutive. You have them under Tiny.

Lesser Bandersnatch might not be legal as it's technically a young version of Bandersnatch, but it does have it's own entry. If it is legal, it's an awesome choice for Magical Beast Shape. I'd link but my post count is too low. :smallannoyed:
It has 4 decent attacks, 4 rakes, pounce, grab on the bite, and rend on the claws. The rakes are listed as claws, so you might get rend on them as well. Also has decent senses

Kirin Strike + Combat Stamina is probably a great combo for Transmuters. Kind of a long chain as you need Improved Unarmed Strike, Kirin Style, Kirin Strike, and Combat Stamina, but if you can get it you add Int to damage on all strikes against the opponent for 24 hrs. Since it adds to STR instead of replacing, that gives some pretty impressive damage.

TiaC
2018-10-02, 12:43 AM
I'd recommend including the Shapechanger bloodline, as its 3rd level ability lets you give a single polymorph spell hour/level duration.

Feantar
2018-10-02, 04:58 AM
...Not relevant but I had to say it: I read your Post as "[PF]Polyamory - Updates, and requests for forms I've missed.. And I must admit, my first thought wasn't "what is this doing in this subforum?" but, "why specifically Pathfinder?". I'm dyslexic. Sorry.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-03, 03:18 AM
...Not relevant but I had to say it: I read your Post as "[PF]Polyamory - Updates, and requests for forms I've missed.. And I must admit, my first thought wasn't "what is this doing in this subforum?" but, "why specifically Pathfinder?". I'm dyslexic. Sorry.

My favorite subforum: D&D 3e/3.5e/d20/Relationship Advice