PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun Do Zombies Exist?

DizzyCrash
2018-08-04, 03:06 AM
So I am not all that up on the lore, but as my groups designated DM its my duty to learn as much about the lore as possible and put together a game.
One idea i have for a potential misssion is a zombie apacolypse type deal with the party surviving a night in a quarenteened area of the city with treditional, infectious bite zombies with a weakness for headshots.

I cant find any information on the wiki however except for "Corpse Cadavers" The page on them has no information either, so I am hoping the community can fill me in on the lore in this regard.

For some backstory the villain is a crimeboss vampire who lures them out with a potentially easy job but its a set up to ambush and kill them while testing some new weapon or something. Anyway what can you all tell me?

DeTess
2018-08-04, 03:51 AM
Th closest thing to Zombies are Ghouls, so you could read up on those. They've got most of the stuff you want, except for the fact that they're a well known phenomenon that are kept mostly in check. however, if someone where to poison the water supply with HMHVV III (the virus that turns people into ghouls), you could get some interesting chaos.

Anymage
2018-08-04, 03:56 AM
First, this would be better in the older D&D and other games subforum. You can flag your post yourself and ask a mod to move it. There's also a shadowrun megathread there where people can fill you in on stuff.

Second, ghouls till a lot of the stereotypical zombie roles. Getting a corpse to start moving again is hard, but an awakened virus that messes you up can have the same practical effects. Sometimes someone transitions to ghouldom with their mind and sanity generally intact, sometimes they don't. The latter are almost indistinguishable from classic shambler zombies.

Third, and most important. Shadowrun went through the 90s phase of overdoing it with metaplot, and never fully stopped. The amount of lore out there is truly staggering. I highly recommend not caring after a certain point. Otherwise you'll feel too bound to stick to things written in books you've never read, and can be bamboozled by people who are just more familiar with the setting than you are. It's okay to get the sixth world right in broad strokes and not care about the minutae.

LibraryOgre
2018-08-04, 11:00 AM
As others have said, ghouls are the closest to the "infectious" zombie of disaster movies. If you want (Shaun/Dawn) of the Dead, you're probably talking something similar to the Kreiger strain of H/MHVV. If you go with a version with a very low incubation time, that simultaneously destroys the brain, then you might throw them out there. Maybe it winds up supercharging the muscles with oxygen by depriving the brain of it? So zombies get stronger but their brains largely die? There would be some useful ways to slow or stop the damage from happening (Oxygenated Fluorocarbons from Shadowtech, IIRC), but if you don't get cured, you pretty quickly suffer death of the higher brain functions.

Now, if you're looking for something more like a classic voudoun zombie, there are those... corpse cadavers, and they're usually the province of petro voudoun houngans. IIRC, they're essentially spirits that have been compelled to possess, and animate, a corpse.

Slipperychicken
2018-08-04, 02:23 PM
It's not like zombies break the lore that badly. You could just say it's a new type of HMHVV, spirits from some death/horror metaplane, that makes people into classic movie-zombies.

Black Jester
2018-08-05, 02:50 AM
What you want are Shedim. The Shedim are malevolent spirits with the power to posess bodies - both dead, and more concerning, those of projecting mages. There was a major Shedim manifestation in the Wake of the Comet, and you could probably use them again. With the added risk that destroying the undead husks does very little to the actual spirit that possesses it. Shedim are offended by the existence of physical life itself.

Master Shedim, the significantly more powerful free spirit version of these charming little folk, can completely hide the fact that they are a malevolent spirit hiding in a rotting corpse, both on a physical level and for their masked aura. They can also summon more of the lower kind of spirits and partially control them. A Master Shedim is a veritable opponent for a pretty challenging run, especially when it has a swarm of bodysnatching servants under its control.

comicshorse
2018-08-05, 04:04 AM
I cant find any information on the wiki however except for "Corpse Cadavers" The page on them has no information either, so I am hoping the community can fill me in on the lore in this regard.

These can be found in 'The Paranormal Animals of Europe' book p 30 but basically they're corpses animated by magic with no intelligence of their own. They have the stats of a the person they were but lose 1 point from Strength and Body. They gain ; Immunity to Pathogens, Poisons and all Mana Spells. They also do not suffer wound penalties but when they hit Deadly damage they die (again).
They also suffer from Allergy, Sunlight (severe)

For some backstory the villain is a crimeboss vampire

Vampires are created by a strain of the HMHVV. Part of the Shadowrun metaplot has been the suggestion that a conspiracy of Vampires known as the 'Ordo Maximus' was working on engineering the HMHVV to create Vampires with none of their traditional weaknesses. The Zombies that attack the P.C.s could be the result of the Ordo's tinkering with the virus, that they are testing out on the P.C.'s

Kaptin Keen
2018-08-05, 04:24 AM
If you'd like zombies to exist - they do.

The obvious choise would be a degenerative strains of the HMHVV, but it might just as easily be ritual, blood or toxic magic of some sort. But asking whether something exists in a make-believe universe strikes me as self-defeating. Either nothing or everything exists.

Nifft
2018-08-05, 07:01 AM
Cyberzombies do exist, but they're not infectious.

LibraryOgre
2018-08-05, 10:25 PM
Cyberzombies do exist, but they're not infectious.

Well... not outside a Grey Goo scenario, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of nanobots.

Nifft
2018-08-06, 05:47 AM
Well... not outside a Grey Goo scenario, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of nanobots.

Oooo, can nanobots eat someone else's Essence?

That would be a very Shadowrun grey goo.

LibraryOgre
2018-08-06, 06:20 AM
Oooo, can nanobots eat someone else's Essence?

That would be a very Shadowrun grey goo.

I was kinda picturing someone who had programmable nanobots who were intended to construct a piece of cyberware inside someone ("I can reconstruct a liver with a single injection!"), but which mutated and spread, and now build all sorts of things out of whatever is available ("Oh my god, Bob has been turned entirely into livers!")

Nifft
2018-08-06, 06:23 AM
I was kinda picturing someone who had programmable nanobots who were intended to construct a piece of cyberware inside someone ("I can reconstruct a liver with a single injection!"), but which mutated and spread, and now build all sorts of things out of whatever is available ("Oh my god, Bob has been turned entirely into livers!")

Due to a spontaneous code mutation, the nanobots now ignore livers and instead turn people into fivers.

Bob turns into a pile of nuyen.

The outbreaks of this horrific nano-plague are under-reported for blindingly obvious reasons.