PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Anyway to change a familiar into a mount?

Citadel97501
2018-08-04, 03:22 AM
Hello, I was thinking of a Warlock with the Pact of the Chain, and I was wondering if there was anyway to change it or have it be a form that can be used as a mount?

Millstone85
2018-08-04, 03:42 AM
Take the Sculptor of Flesh invocation. You can now cast polymorph on your pseudodragon to turn it into a riding horse for 1 hour once per day.

TundraBuccaneer
2018-08-04, 03:45 AM
small races can be carried by pseudodragons and imps, just figure the math out with how much you can take with you. I believe kobolds are the lightened so can carry more gear with them. but I'm pretty sure light foot haflings can still be armored at least.

Millstone85
2018-08-04, 03:59 AM
small races can be carried by pseudodragons and imps, just figure the math out with how much you can take with you. I believe kobolds are the lightened so can carry more gear with them. but I'm pretty sure light foot haflings can still be armored at least.Let's see. A naked halfling weights 40 pounds. The lightest armor weights 8 pounds, which brings the lightest armored halfling at 48 pounds. A pseudodragon is a Tiny creature with a Strength score of 6 and can thus carry (6*15)/2 = 45 pounds. This can be pushed to 90 pounds at the cost of dropping the pseudodragon's speed to 5 feet. Same with the imp.

Very slow ride there.

Dalebert
2018-08-04, 06:58 AM
I went kobold--2 ft tall and very light. Dipped a level of draconic sorc (eventually dipped a little more) for the scales that give me a base AC of 13 so I could drop the studded leather. That studded leather was almost a deal-killer. Pushed me right up to the 45 lb limit. A bag of holding isn't a bad idea. I don't do it because it's cheesy but you could have the imp carry the BoH with your head and arms out to shoot things and cast. Once I got agonizing blast, I could also drop the crossbow. Now I have plenty of breathing room but I still carry most of my gear on a dog mount.

A kobold with an imp familiar is just a great combo considering pack tactics. You can swoop in on things, attack with adv, and have the imp fly away without provoking because it's invisible. Alternatively can just stop flying for a bit and have your invisible imp go get next to things for Eldritch Blast.

Corpus
2018-08-05, 02:02 PM
I talked with my DM and suggested a Skeleton Warhorse as a special Familiar for a Pact of the Chain character concept I had.

After comparing it to the Imp and Quasit, he had no issue allowing it.

Tetrasodium
2018-08-05, 02:23 PM
Yes. Be a small race like gnome, halfling, kobold, goblin, etc