PDA

View Full Version : Durkon will be rezzed twice (wild theory)

Mad Humanist
2018-08-04, 09:28 AM
I think Durkon will be raised from the dead by Hilgya just so she can murder him, which she will do. Durkon will be too busy trying to reason with Hilgya and so will not fight back. Thus his second death will not be honourable and we'll get to see both sides of the Dwarven afterlife. This will obviously add a lot of bulk to the current book but I have no idea if this is an argument for or against my prediction.

Bad Wolf
2018-08-08, 12:37 AM
Literally everyone else would stop her from doing that. Unleds she doesnt heal them first.

Ron Miel
2018-08-08, 01:20 AM
Even wilder theory: Durkon and Durkon* will both get rezzed. Vampire souls are usually destroyed, but Durkon* is a special case.

skim172
2018-08-08, 01:42 AM
Even wilder theory - Durkon gets rezzed, but there's a wacky mixup and it's Minrah's soul that gets rezzed in Durkon's body! And vice versa!

And uh-oh - Minrah's boyfriend's parents are coming to dinner tonight! Zany hijinks and misunderstandings ensue, and at the end, everybody learns a valuable lesson about just being yourself.

And then the gods destroy the world.

"Freaky Frigga's Day"; rated PG-13.

Takver
2018-08-08, 05:23 AM
Don't you think that would sort of completely ruin his entire arc?

Durkon has just proved himself once and for all as a paragon of Lawful Good, Will, and Wisdom. He sacrificed his life to save his teammate, then when his soul was captured, helpless, and tormented, he relied on the strength of his mind and the force of his life's experience to defeat a superior foe and save the entire world. He has more than earned his stay in Valhalla, his quick resurrection, and his resumed place among his team.

Now you think that he should be resurrected, only to be killed again immediately, and dishonorably, by a lone woman with a personal grudge? Sent down to Hel? So we can have a more detailed view of an afterlife that we've already seen on-panel?

It would be like if Aragorn was finally made King of Gondor, and then Elrond snatched the crown off his head and told him "Psych! Nice job facing all your trials and tribulations, but now go spend five more years wandering around Mirkwood killing spiders. Then we'll crown you again, but for real." It totally pulls the rug out from under what's supposed to be the triumph of his character.

Durkon and dishonor just don't go together. They don't.

Vinsfeld
2018-08-08, 08:43 AM
Even wilder theory - Durkon gets rezzed, but there's a wacky mixup and it's Minrah's soul that gets rezzed in Durkon's body! And vice versa!

And uh-oh - Minrah's boyfriend's parents are coming to dinner tonight! Zany hijinks and misunderstandings ensue, and at the end, everybody learns a valuable lesson about just being yourself.

10/10 - Would watch it everyday

Kish
2018-08-08, 08:59 AM
I'm less than clear on what people think there is about "the other side" of the dwarven afterlife that would be worth dedicating strips and story events to showing. Hel has been shown, repeatedly, treating her dwarven slaves like slaves. Why do you need a dwarf with a name to be there to see what it's like?

Tarthalion
2018-08-08, 09:38 AM
Possible.

Another possibility is that Durkon refuses a resurrection from Hilgya because she's Chaotic Evil and he has no way of knowing that she's trying to raise him at his party's request.

Or combine the two... he accepts the first resurrection, she then kills him, she relents and tries to resurrect him for real, but he refuses because he thinks she just wants to kill him again.

Kish
2018-08-08, 09:43 AM
Another possibility is that Durkon refuses a resurrection from Hilgya because she's Chaotic Evil and he has no way of knowing that she's trying to raise him at his party's request.
Durkon knows where he last saw Hilgya. I think it's kind of a stretch that she would try to resurrect him, and he'd go, "Nope! Not her!"

As for the other suggestion, I'm not sure why you're apparently trying to plot a course to "Durkon stays dead."

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-08, 09:58 AM
Durkon knows where he last saw Hilgya. I think it's kind of a stretch that she would try to resurrect him, and he'd go, "Nope! Not her!" Particularly since he's a Pa now (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1120.html).

The OP strikes me as a Nale-inspired "overly complicated" deal.

Tarthalion
2018-08-08, 11:44 AM
As for the other suggestion, I'm not sure why you're apparently trying to plot a course to "Durkon stays dead."
I can plot any course I like, but Rich is taking this boat exactly where he chooses and nowhere else, so I don't think the speculation harms.

I don't think Durkon will stay dead, although I suppose he might, but I do expect some twists causing the whole thing to take longer than it could. Like, I'm sure Hilgya could have already resurrected him, before he had a change to explore the afterlife, if she had chosen to.

Keltest
2018-08-08, 11:58 AM
I can plot any course I like, but Rich is taking this boat exactly where he chooses and nowhere else, so I don't think the speculation harms.

I don't think Durkon will stay dead, although I suppose he might, but I do expect some twists causing the whole thing to take longer than it could. Like, I'm sure Hilgya could have already resurrected him, before he had a change to explore the afterlife, if she had chosen to.

At the very least, she probably isn't running around with Resurrection prepared, since she wasn't preparing her spells with a party in mind. Theyre going to have to wait however many hours until the next time she prepares spells even if they have the diamond dust and the Durkon dust.

TRH
2018-08-08, 12:20 PM
I do expect a struggle to convince Hilgya to Raise Durkon at all, but this seems needlessly complicated, yes.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-08, 02:50 PM
I do expect a struggle to convince Hilgya to Raise Durkon at all, but this seems needlessly complicated, yes. I expect Elan to figure prominently in that conversation, if it is to be successful. He and Hilgya seem to have a certain connection the others do not seem to share.

Lexible
2018-08-08, 11:50 PM

Did someone call for a wilder theory (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17832723&postcount=2)? :smallwink:

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-09, 07:05 AM
Did someone call for a wilder theory (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17832723&postcount=2)? :smallwink: At least that makes as much sense as a lot of movies I've seen lately. :smalleek:

Stabbey
2018-08-09, 07:32 AM
At the very least, she probably isn't running around with Resurrection prepared, since she wasn't preparing her spells with a party in mind. Theyre going to have to wait however many hours until the next time she prepares spells even if they have the diamond dust and the Durkon dust.

That seems fairly reasonable, it was clearly stated that the meeting of the Council would take place at noon, and it's probably still the middle of the night. Needing to wait for dawn for freshly prepared spells would give just enough time to make the party need to rush to stop the Exarch from interfering in the nick of time.

Riftwolf
2018-08-09, 07:34 AM
Did someone call for a wilder theory (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17832723&postcount=2)? :smallwink:

The only wilder theory I'll accept is a Gene Wilder Theory.

jwhouk
2018-08-09, 11:24 AM
The only wilder theory I'll accept is a Gene Wilder Theory.

Willy Wonka or Silver Streak?

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-09, 11:43 AM
Willy Wonka or Silver Streak? Gotta be Wonka.

SlashDash
2018-08-09, 12:29 PM
While I do think this theory is completely bonkers, I would say that Durkon saying how easy it would be to bring him back should make it clear that it won't work that easy.

It never works that easy whether it's the villain or heroes who say what their plan was.

Like, I'm sure Hilgya could have already resurrected him, before he had a change to explore the afterlife, if she had chosen to.

Ummm... Leaving aside the issue of her needing to memorize the spell (or have a scroll) and have the materials -

You also need to remember that time passes differently for dead people. Remember Roy not realizing it's been months since he died.

So it's possible things have been going on for a couple of seconds in the real world.

Also... Roy might not want to wait to resurrect Durkon when the world is still at stake and the Exarch is at the council.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-08-09, 12:50 PM
You also need to remember that time passes differently for dead people. Remember Roy not realizing it's been months since he died.

No, as Roy's archon explained, time passes at the exact same rate. It's just that because you don't get hungry, tired, etc, you don't notice the passage of time. A conversation that would take a couple of minutes in the material world takes the exact same couple of minutes in whatever plane they are in.

Grey Wolf

Stabbey
2018-08-09, 01:18 PM
While I do think this theory is completely bonkers, I would say that Durkon saying how easy it would be to bring him back should make it clear that it won't work that easy.

It never works that easy whether it's the villain or heroes who say what their plan was.

WHAT PLAN?!

Durkon gave four conditional statements, the exact same four conditional statements which have been required since the second Durkon died, and several of which have questionable chances of being met. That is not a plan.

It's like saying that my "plan" to become rich and famous is that if I meet a Hollywood agent by chance and if I impress them by doing something helpful or impressive and if the agent signs me to a movie deal and if the movie becomes a blockbuster, then I can become rich and famous. That is not a plan.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-09, 03:27 PM
It's like saying that my "plan" to become rich and famous is that if I meet a Hollywood agent by chance and if I impress them by doing something helpful or impressive and if the agent signs me to a movie deal and if the movie becomes a blockbuster, then I can become rich and famous. That is not a plan. But it does explain why I am not rich and famous. :smallbiggrin:

ufo
2018-08-09, 04:20 PM
At the very least, she probably isn't running around with Resurrection prepared, since she wasn't preparing her spells with a party in mind.

Oh so what, Kudzu isn't a party member now? :smallwink:

Mad Humanist
2018-08-10, 05:42 PM
I know you guys all think this theory is silly, but I meant it seriously and I do think it is a definite possibility.

However the latest update made me think maybe Thor would send Durkon back as a Risen Martyr. I don't believe Durkon formally qualifies so that would require a Giant amount of fudge.