PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mechanically best aasimar for a vengeance paladin?

kenGarff
2018-08-04, 12:04 PM
Hi! I have a quick question as a vengeance paladin.
I was told that half elf and human variants are much better than any aasimar subrace for a vengeance paladin.
But I'd like to try an aasimar.
Between the 3 aasimar sub races, which do you think is mechanically the best choice for a vengeance paladin?
Thanks as always for your time.

Grear Bylls
2018-08-04, 12:19 PM
Hi! I have a quick question as a vengeance paladin.
I was told that half elf and human variants are much better than any aasimar subrace for a vengeance paladin.
But I'd like to try an aasimar.
Between the 3 aasimar sub races, which do you think is mechanically the best choice for a vengeance paladin?
Thanks as always for your time.

I'd say fallen or scourge. Both have the better ASIs, and both can fit the theme. Fallen is just fallen from grace, not necessarily evil, although, it is an awesome conquest Paladin. Scourge is more righteous. Protectirs ASI and ability are slightly worse IMO for a pally.

KingWhipsy
2018-08-04, 12:19 PM
Scourge or Fallen. Though half-elf is so hard not to pick for me.

1Pirate
2018-08-04, 12:54 PM
Figure out where that second ability score increase will best go and pick that one. I suppose fallen’s ability becomes redundant with the Vegeance capstone, but I wouldn’t really count that. If you think you might multiclass into something squishier than a pally, go fallen.

kenGarff
2018-08-04, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the input. The problem with scourge is that while I like the radiant damage more than fear effect of fallen, I think con is worse than str in point buy. I suppose fallen could work but I’d like to be either NG vengeance who is usually laid back and grim until he really needs to kill some true evil where he goes crazy just so I don’t disrupt my party. But I’m sure I can work something out.

CTurbo
2018-08-04, 04:46 PM
Fallen Aasimar make great Vengeance Paladins. You can start 16 Str, 16 Cha with point buy, and the extra damage is icing on the cake.

Scourge works well too as Con is still important but I don't like that it's Radiant Consumption is not party friendly at all and even hurts yourself.

kenGarff
2018-08-04, 04:53 PM
That sounds great! I just have a problem with str stats as a scourge aasimar since I can only start with 15 STR

CTurbo
2018-08-05, 12:46 AM
That sounds great! I just have a problem with str stats as a scourge aasimar since I can only start with 15 STR

I would go Fallen!

kenGarff
2018-08-05, 06:34 PM
Thank you so much. It sounds so badass to be some avatar of justice sent by a god who is destined to follow “his” laws that go beyond the laws of men for true justice: ghost rider style. I’m probsbly going to play it like the punisher who really goes crazy (no tortures or overly violent methods though) against true evil and doesn’t mind mischief around him (though he doesn’t do it himself). That way I don’t think I’ll be a social justice jerk who disrupts my party’s fun lol. And I like vengeance that lets me be rather more flexible morally lol. I’m defonitely not going to kill somebody just because he or she buys a 17 yr old a beer or two. But I’m most likely goi g to kill or beat the living crap out of a pedophile