PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing Warlock with Sorcerer

SnorriA
2018-08-04, 03:17 PM
Hello there,
I am in a campaign playing Great Old One Warlock, currently in level 6. I got the idea to multiclass to Stone Sorcerer, mostly because of a level 1 feat he gets and It makes sense to my character background.

I even thought about turning to Sorcerer or taking more than one level to get metamagic to use with my eldritch blast. I tried this out in DnD Beyond by making another character with all the same stats as a Warlock, added a multiclass as a stone sorcerer and tried him out with lvl 7 and up to level 10. What really struck me there, known spells increases and cantrips but only cantrips and 1st level spells are ever available. Is that a bug or is it supposed to be like that?

Multiclassing is a bit useless if I only get 1st level spells. I was going to post a picture with it but It seems I do not have those privileges yet.

Quoxis
2018-08-04, 03:23 PM
Hello there,
I am in a campaign playing Great Old One Warlock, currently in level 6. I got the idea to multiclass to Stone Sorcerer, mostly because of a level 1 feat he gets and It makes sense to my character background.

I even thought about turning to Sorcerer or taking more than one level to get metamagic to use with my eldritch blast. I tried this out in DnD Beyond by making another character with all the same stats as a Warlock, added a multiclass as a stone sorcerer and tried him out with lvl 7 and up to level 10. What really struck me there, known spells increases and cantrips but only cantrips and 1st level spells are ever available. Is that a bug or is it supposed to be like that?

https://ibb.co/jqZrqe

Multiclassing is a bit useless if I only get 1st level spells.

If i understood that correctly: you took a one level „dip“ (warlock 6/sorcerer 1)?
In that case: yes, it’s supposed to work like that. You’re a first level sorcerer, so it’s normal that you‘d only know the spells a first level sorcerer would know. The only way to get past that is to invest more into sorcerer, but that will cost you your progression in warlock. Like with every deal: can‘t have it all, you get some, you lose some.

Aimeryan
2018-08-04, 03:36 PM
You will want to check out the Multiclass section page 163 in the PHB (Chapter 6: Customisation Options).

As a summary, when you have multiple classes with the Spellcasting feature you learn and prepare spells (if required) as per the individual class levels, however, the spell slots are based on a combination of the levels and then looked up in a table (which is in the Multiclass section).

Warlocks have the Pact Magic feature, which does not directly interact with the Spellcasting feature. However, you can use the spell slots from both features to cast any spell you know (and have prepared, if necessary).

As an example, a Warlock 3/Sorcerer 6 would have:

From the Warlock: 2 Warlock cantrips, 4 Warlock spells known of 1st or 2nd level, and 2 2nd level spell slots that refresh on a short rest.
From the Sorcerer: 5 Sorcerer cantrips, 7 Sorcerer spells known of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level, and 4 1st level spell slots, 3 2nd level spell slots, and 3 3rd level spell slots that refresh on a long rest.

SnorriA
2018-08-04, 09:03 PM
As an example, a Warlock 3/Sorcerer 6 would have:

From the Warlock: 2 Warlock cantrips, 4 Warlock spells known of 1st or 2nd level, and 2 2nd level spell slots that refresh on a short rest.
From the Sorcerer: 5 Sorcerer cantrips, 7 Sorcerer spells known of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level, and 4 1st level spell slots, 3 2nd level spell slots, and 3 3rd level spell slots that refresh on a long rest.

Ahh I see. That is what i thought. I have been using D&D Beyond and character sheet there, very comfortable.
When adding another class there it only allowed me to pick cantrips or 1st level spells and I tried it with Warlock lvl. 6 /Sorcerer lvl 12.

I have been thinking If i should only dip one level of Sorcerer or more levels, I am very curious about using metamagic like Quicken spell with my Eldritch Blast.

Exocist
2018-08-05, 02:51 AM
Ahh I see. That is what i thought. I have been using D&D Beyond and character sheet there, very comfortable.
When adding another class there it only allowed me to pick cantrips or 1st level spells and I tried it with Warlock lvl. 6 /Sorcerer lvl 12.

I have been thinking If i should only dip one level of Sorcerer or more levels, I am very curious about using metamagic like Quicken spell with my Eldritch Blast.

6 is a very odd breakpoint for warlock, usually Warlock 3 or 5 would have been better for a Sorcerer multi that aims to abuse Eldritch Blast.

If going stone, hexblade would have probably been better than GOO to make better use of Stone’s 6th level ability.

Citan
2018-08-05, 05:53 AM

Hi!
Regarding the bolded part, this is clearly a bug/lacking feature/misconception of the software.

As a Warlock 6 / Sorcerer 12, you'd get...
- 3*3rd level short rest slot, and 7 spells up to 3rd level.
- "long-caster" slots up to 6th level, with 12 spell known up to 6th level, as well as 3 metamagics.

Quicken is a good (potentially great) metamagic, but it's costly. Having a 4 SP pool is fine for occasional use, if you want to use it consistently you'll need to either eat into Warlock short-rest slots to convert, or a bigger pool, like 8-10.

Stopping Warlock at 6 is fine overall if all you were interested into was 3rd level spells to use regularly (Counterspell, Fly, Fear, Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball) and Patron feature.

But unless you were considering an end goal of level 20 character, in which case several Sorcerer archetypes get good features at 14, I'd rather push Warlock up to 7. Short-rest Greater Invisibility/Polymorph/Banishment/Death Ward (Divine) is compelling, to my taste at least. :)

First things first though: since your character will be a Warlock fluff-wise, if you're sure of at least the Sorcerer dip (which is imo worth enough even if you don't take more levels), I'd suggest aiming for Warlock 5 / Sorcerer 1 > Warlock 5-6 / Sorcerer 3-4 (if you want metamagic) before anything else. :)

Dos246
2018-08-05, 09:49 AM
You'll need to go to the view character sheet then back to edit in order for it to update your known and available spells. This is a known bug on DND beyond when leveling up spellcasters, the page doesn't always add the extra level spells for you to choose from.

Dalebert
2018-08-05, 06:19 PM
Hello there,
I am in a campaign playing Great Old One Warlock, currently in level 6. I got the idea to multiclass to Stone Sorcerer, mostly because of a level 1 feat he gets and It makes sense to my character background. *emphasis mine

Do you mean a class feature at level 1 and you're just calling it a feat? Maybe I'm nitpicking the language but sorcerer doesn't get a feat until 4th.