PDA

View Full Version : Best 12hd or lower shapechange forms?

sorcererlover
2018-08-04, 06:38 PM
So I found the Arcanaloth Yugoloth from MMII, and it has at-will shapechange at CL12. Since it has 12HD a wizard can bind it with planar binding at 11.

So which forms should it take for
Blasting?
Melee?

Dragon beath weapons seem subpar.

Also it is a 12th level sorcerer but doesn't have "typical spells prepared" section so i don't know how to handle this. If I pick spells it's gonna be too OP, but if my DM picks spells then it's kinda, iunno, weird. How to handle this.

Crake
2018-08-04, 06:49 PM
So I found the Arcanaloth Yugoloth from MMII, and it has at-will shapechange at CL12. Since it has 12HD a wizard can bind it with planar binding at 11.

So which forms should it take for
Blasting?
Melee?

Dragon beath weapons seem subpar.

Also it is a 12th level sorcerer but doesn't have "typical spells prepared" section so i don't know how to handle this. If I pick spells it's gonna be too OP, but if my DM picks spells then it's kinda, iunno, weird. How to handle this.

sorry to burst your bubble:

Yugoloth, Arcanaloth
Monster Manual, page 204
Remove shapechange from its list of spell-like
abilities.
Add the following entry:
Change Shape (Su): An arcanaloth can assume the
form of any Small or Medium humanoid.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-04, 07:06 PM
Phasms are in the Monster Manual, and they're 15 HD. They can turn into anything of Large size or smaller, including epic forms.

Alternate Form (Su)
A phasm can assume any form of Large size or smaller as a standard action. A phasm can remain in its alternate form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Use polymorph or metamorphosis and Assume Supernatural Ability or Metamorphic Transfer, and...

sorcererlover
2018-08-04, 07:15 PM
sorry to burst your bubble:

Better I embarrass myself here than at my table after I do something illegal. Thanks man.

Ramza00
2018-08-04, 07:28 PM
Better I embarrass myself here than at my table after I do something illegal. Thanks man.

It is okay, but I would advocate against summoning a CR 17 Jackal Demon who reminds me way too much of the God Seth / Set. Such a daemon would easily figure out a way to mess with you in the long run with its Int of 20, it is literally in their job description with them being schemers and manipulators.

Crake
2018-08-04, 07:52 PM

Usually if something seems too good to be true, I always double and triple check errata sources to see if it wasn't changed, especially anything involving shapechanging magic on monsters, as that was mostly updated into change shape abilities during the big polymorph change they did.

Asmotherion
2018-08-05, 09:56 PM

Meh, not all DMs care about the Errata Updates. Some (myself included) care more about if you have a strong concept in mind about what you're going to do whith the ability, and want you to convince them on how you plan to use it.

Creation (and Optimisation) is an artform.

Planar Bind random Arcanaloth and tell me you'll figure out how to use it when the time comes, and I'll tell you to use the Errata Version.

Tell me you have this concept in mind that you are working on, and want this Arcanaloth NPC to help you with it, With a Battle Form and a Mage Form, possibly a Sneak Form too, and I'll give you a chance to Pull it off with a non-errata-ed version (Limited to 3 forms, any other form is Errata).

Working with your DM can give better RP, and help make the game more fun and interesting for everyone.

It's the same for loot. If you don't discuss with me what items you're interested in finding, I'll just give you scrolls and potions. I want things in my Campain to have a Unique Value, not be the Replacable Loot you'll sell by the time you hit next level for the refund money to upgrade your equipment.

With the same analogy, if I make your Summon more special to you, you will care about it more (RP wise) and won't treat it as a replaceable meat-shield, since you never know if I'll allow you the same thing on a new one. Yes, even if it is a Fiend.

Crake
2018-08-06, 09:17 AM
Meh, not all DMs care about the Errata Updates. Some (myself included) care more about if you have a strong concept in mind about what you're going to do whith the ability, and want you to convince them on how you plan to use it.

Creation (and Optimisation) is an artform.

Planar Bind random Arcanaloth and tell me you'll figure out how to use it when the time comes, and I'll tell you to use the Errata Version.

Tell me you have this concept in mind that you are working on, and want this Arcanaloth NPC to help you with it, With a Battle Form and a Mage Form, possibly a Sneak Form too, and I'll give you a chance to Pull it off with a non-errata-ed version (Limited to 3 forms, any other form is Errata).

Working with your DM can give better RP, and help make the game more fun and interesting for everyone.

It's the same for loot. If you don't discuss with me what items you're interested in finding, I'll just give you scrolls and potions. I want things in my Campain to have a Unique Value, not be the Replacable Loot you'll sell by the time you hit next level for the refund money to upgrade your equipment.

With the same analogy, if I make your Summon more special to you, you will care about it more (RP wise) and won't treat it as a replaceable meat-shield, since you never know if I'll allow you the same thing on a new one. Yes, even if it is a Fiend.

This is all well and great, but we can't assume every GM is willing to outright break the rules on behalf of a player when we discuss stuff on here. Also, I think you'll find that conditionally breaking the rules for a player will likely cause animosity between the other players, especially when you're giving them access to a 9th level spell at level 12.

Asmotherion
2018-08-06, 10:47 AM
This is all well and great, but we can't assume every GM is willing to outright break the rules on behalf of a player when we discuss stuff on here. Also, I think you'll find that conditionally breaking the rules for a player will likely cause animosity between the other players, especially when you're giving them access to a 9th level spell at level 12.

There is use and abuse of DM gifts.

The other PCs won't have to complain, if everyone gets something. I treat this things like Items of Legacy, with potential to backfire (or just loose them) if abused.

Let's be honest. How Realistic can you see a Bound Fiend, with great mental stats nevertheless, to find a way to twist your orders into something benefical for it, not so much for you? You'll need a proper amount of RP to convince it to work for you, Planarly Bound or not. And that's how the whole thing can become a great addition to your Session, or if I see that it does not, I'll make sure to remove it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-06, 10:51 AM
I take it there's no interest in my post on the phasm. Note that if you have enough ML-boosters, you can reach phasm almost as soon as you gain metamorphosis.