PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Fleshing out two sites

Pinjata
2018-08-05, 02:45 AM
Hey guys,

My PCs will soon meet two sites (set up in plains, south of Baldur's Gate, Sword coast) and I'd appreciate any input, regarding how to make them look, in this case, creepier and well, interesting.

First is ransacked miner's camp. These guys were looking for different valuable metals in plains, were camping there in a camp with a few tents, and one night a bunch of low tier demons (dretch, manes, quasits) descended upon them. I'd like to go beyond just torn tents and scattered rations, some corpses. I'd like for things to have sort of "demonic stain" upon them. Like puddle of blod, oozing back into a corpse, an effigy from corpses, etc. The more subtle the better.

Second site is an entry into a dungeon, placed deep into these plains. Near the entry, there was a camp of about 30 humans, goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears. Demons are being spawned in a dungeon and this group tried to fill the entry with stone, rocks and dirt) also, they fought all the demons coming out of this entry). They suceeded a few times, but each time, demons have dug out. To well organized and battle tested groups, demons did little damage, even if there were a few casualties among humans and goblins. After about two weeks, this warband had departed the site near dungeon entry. What could we find they have left behind? Firesites? Latrines? :)

That is about what I have ATM. I'd appreciate any adittional fluffing.

thanks

Berenger
2018-08-05, 04:11 AM
After about two weeks, this warband had departed the site near dungeon entry. What could we find they have left behind? Firesites? Latrines? :)

Hastily dug, shallow graves for the fallen humans and goblins. If demonic taint can re-animate corpses, the dead inside the graves will be hamstrung by restraints or mutilation. The graves (and other parts of the encampment) can be adorned with makeshift religious symbols to ward off evil (these may or may not actually work to a degree). Maybe the group attempted a religious emergency ritual / sacrifice to call upon the power of a higher being (e.g. an evil god of tyranny and oppression that was supposed to incarcerate the demons under the earth). This would demonstrate creativity on the part of the warband as well as desperation.

There should be simple traps and fortifications aimed at the ruin entrance, for example a semi circle of earthworks reinforced with a ditch and chevaux de frise as well as pit traps and punji sticks. Maybe heads of fallen demons impaled on stakes as trophies or attempted psycholocigal warfare.

opaopajr
2018-08-05, 05:05 AM
First site, go for the unexpected, yet plausible. What do you think of about the plains or miner sites?

How about mining pans and mess kit pans, all spotlessly clean, arranged atop each other like a house of cards inside the cook's wagon?

Woven wildflower garlands atop each miners' head, and a rictus smile upon each?

Horses nearby with no tack & harness, refusing to be led or geared up, but stuck upon following each other in circles around the camp, mindlessly eating grass? Those who can speak with animals receive "insane trauma" communication.

The smell of herd animal dung, rotting meat, and... pumpkin spice? (Something besides sulfuric brimstone?)