PDA

View Full Version : Useful magic items

cartejos
2018-08-05, 06:59 AM
I'm familiar with a large assortment of classes and prestige classes; but not at all with magic items (or magic in general).

That said, what are some magic items that you find useful in your games?
Any archetype, any class, just want to more familiarize myself with some go-to magic items without pouring over all of the different books to pick out the goodies.

OgresAreCute
2018-08-05, 08:08 AM
There's a list of magic items here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) which might be a good starting point. These are things that every character wants/needs sooner or later, like permanent flight and immunity to death effects.

ericgrau
2018-08-05, 10:05 AM
Link is good so I'll be brief on highlights.

Non-core: Belt of battle, anklets of translocation and circlet of rapid casting are some of the highest optimization and often too cheesy/ban-worthy options. There are even higher optimization tricks like thought bottles but those are much more likely to be banned. Whereas this list is often allowed in high power games.

Core only:

Martial: boots of speed is the top item for free action activated haste.
Casters: Rod(s) of lesser extend spell is my top item for low price long lasting buffs. Honorable mention to 1-4 of EVERY level 1 utility scroll, and some level 2 scrolls. And honorable mention to a nice custom staff to spam the most uber spells without practical limit. Because 50 charges usually outlasts the entire campaign; or at least longer than the time it takes for you to sell a permanent item.
Rogues: Ring of blinking as a constant unlimited sneak attack trigger and goggles of minute seeing for a dirt cheap boost to skillmonkeying.
General: (Nystul's) marvelous pigments is my favorite by far for "I can paint every mundane object and make it real, even holes in walls" a la Wile E Coyote. Honorable mention to dust of disappearance: 3,500 gp to nearly auto-win 1 encounter. And honorable mention to tree feather token: "suddenly tree".

Asmotherion
2018-08-05, 11:46 AM
-The most usefull I've found overall is a Runestuff. Especially a Customisable one.

-Items of Legacy are also Broken-Solid. Bonus they allow you entry into Legacy Champion, which allows very cheesy builds.

-Generally Stuff from the Magic Item Compendium are High Optimisation, as long as you know what you're going for. Using their formula to make your own custom items is also cool, with a permissive DM (or if you are the DM).

-I'd scratch Enhancment Bonus to Stat Items from the List, except if you really need them, if you can craft an epic Version (or, if you can really spare the money...). Generally, Eagle's Splendor etc will be avalable to your Party (Does not mean you HAVE to be a burden to your Mage, but when the situation asks for it, you at least CAN have a decent stat), and at Level 18, you will use Repeating Wishes to buff all your Stats by the Maximum Amount of Enhancment Bonus either Way (+5). Now, I'll ask you, is the +1 to stats (from a +6 Bonus) really worth it?

If your DM expects you to have High Stats, he'll probably make them avalable as Loot anyway. Otherwise, don't really bother.

Now, items that give some other kind of Bonus (Not Enhancment) are worth it, since the Bonuses do not Overlap. I do not remember such Items right away, but they probably exist, and if they don't, nothing* stops you to attempt to craft such great things...At some great cost obviously.

*But your DM

-A ring of Invisibility can be Great for a Rogue, but Wasted on a Wizard who does not devote his playstyle to touch attacks. On the other hand, the same Ring can be the best weapon for, let's say a Lich, and a waste on some other Rogue/Shadowdancer who has other ways to become Invisible already. In the right hands, any item can shine. As long as you know what you're going for, and know how to combine your PCs effects with the Item's Effects and possibly with the other Items effects, you can create greatness.

JNAProductions
2018-08-05, 01:02 PM
Wishes give INHERENT bonuses, not ENHANCEMENT.

Asmotherion
2018-08-05, 01:28 PM
Wishes give INHERENT bonuses, not ENHANCEMENT.
Good catach. I was under the impression they overlaped, but it must have been because I use Cat's Grace etc whenever I really need something more than my Stat (Unless I can spare the money or happen to loot one of those).

Memory plays you tricks sometimes. That, or I'm getting old... I hope I'm not getting old. :(

ericgrau
2018-08-05, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't get enhancement nor inherent bonus item regardless of class. There are too many other better items for the price. Eventually you might get a +2. Even in core only or limited books I might get a +2 earlier but wait a very very long time or never for a +4.

Ability score buff spells are lousy too, due to casting time, duration and only 1 target. Mass bear's endurance is a so-so spell and yet it is miles better than the basic single target versions. At high level you can use a lesser rod of extend spell on the basic versions to get try to get them to last for an entire dungeon. Even then I'd only do it on a prepared caster with advanced notice, or a campaign that spends 90% of its time in dungeons.

Deophaun
2018-08-05, 01:47 PM
Rapid Wrath (Ghostwalk): Who doesn't want to double their movement speed?
Crown of the White Raven and variants (Tome of Battle): Any character can find some maneuver worth grabbing. Moment of Perfect Mind is useful for darn near everyone for not failing on a 1 alone.
Drake Helm (Explorer's Handbook): For spontaneous casters, can let you add any spell in the game to your list if you do it right without needing access to Dragon material, which is much more frequently banned than Eberron.

Generally, Eagle's Splendor etc will be avalable to your Party (Does not mean you HAVE to be a burden to your Mage, but when the situation asks for it, you at least CAN have a decent stat)
Consider how powerful breaking the action economy is, and then re-assess whether not having to spend a standard action after you've been surprised to get your +4 to just one of your ability scores is worth it. I'd say yes.

Of course, my groups tend to run 8-hour adventuring days, not five-minute ones, so YMMV.

Goaty14
2018-08-05, 02:04 PM
Fun Magic Items:
-Feather Token: Tree (400)
-Feather Token: Swan Boat (450)
-Immovable Rod (5k)
-Decanter of Endless Water (9k)
-Marvelous Pigments (4k)
-(Greater) Rod of Wonder (???)

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-05, 02:06 PM
Best item in the game? Words of Creation sanctified ectoplasmic skin of proteus. ML8 at-will metamorphosis is damned tasty, for so many reasons. Even better if you keep adding MLs.

Epic Legand
2018-08-05, 02:10 PM
Must have items

Ring of substance, handy haversack....Because tons more time in game when you have an extra 42 hours a week extra. Plus the sack allows for you to carry tons of goodies plus more importantly, only a move action to retrieve anything.
I like stat boosts, unlike buff spells which are short term, you can assume they are always on, and don't suck up rounds at the start of combat. They do not suck up resources ( if you have 4 spell/day , your not wasting them on buffing yourself).
Some item of +5 to Spot/Perception....$2,500 for +5 to the most common roll on the game.
In Pathfinder I love Boots of the Earth...fast healing 2/round if your standing on unworked earth, for only $5,000. Means you do not need the cleric as much, or the cleric has more slots for fun things.

Asmotherion
2018-08-05, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't get enhancement nor inherent bonus item regardless of class. There are too many other better items for the price. Eventually you might get a +2. Even in core only or limited books I might get a +2 earlier but wait a very very long time or never for a +4.

Ability score buff spells are lousy too, due to casting time, duration and only 1 target. Mass bear's endurance is a so-so spell and yet it is miles better than the basic single target versions. At high level you can use a lesser rod of extend spell on the basic versions to get try to get them to last for an entire dungeon. Even then I'd only do it on a prepared caster with advanced notice, or a campaign that spends 90% of its time in dungeons.

Rapid Wrath (Ghostwalk): Who doesn't want to double their movement speed?
Crown of the White Raven and variants (Tome of Battle): Any character can find some maneuver worth grabbing. Moment of Perfect Mind is useful for darn near everyone for not failing on a 1 alone.
Drake Helm (Explorer's Handbook): For spontaneous casters, can let you add any spell in the game to your list if you do it right without needing access to Dragon material, which is much more frequently banned than Eberron.

Consider how powerful breaking the action economy is, and then re-assess whether not having to spend a standard action after you've been surprised to get your +4 to just one of your ability scores is worth it. I'd say yes.

Of course, my groups tend to run 8-hour adventuring days, not five-minute ones, so YMMV.

I do suppose it has to do with your resting cyrcle. In my experiance, an Extended Cat's Grace (Mass when avalable) will be enough to get you through 2 perhaps 3 encounters. The more levels you get, the more this number changes. It is at the very least safe to use before the first encounter, and will hopefully last you 'till the Boss Fight (except on Low Levels). Just don't get Ambushed.

Outside a dungeon, were encounters don't happen so often, it's probably not the ideal solution I present it as.

ericgrau
2018-08-05, 02:52 PM
I do suppose it has to do with your resting cyrcle. In my experiance, an Extended Cat's Grace (Mass when avalable) will be enough to get you through 2 perhaps 3 encounters. The more levels you get, the more this number changes. It is at the very least safe to use before the first encounter, and will hopefully last you 'till the Boss Fight (except on Low Levels). Just don't get Ambushed.

Outside a dungeon, were encounters don't happen so often, it's probably not the ideal solution I present it as.

You can totally extend it on mid level dungeons. But if it's only getting you through one encounter I assume you mean you have a buffing round. In which case I'd usually rather cast haste or something else rnd/lev that's way better. And it's not something I count on and use to prepare spells.

I was going to write one more major trick but I forgot. Having your familiar hold a touch for a spell such as bull's strength is a great way to conserve your action. Just have him deliver the touch right before you cast another spell on your turn. I like a bat familiar for better mobility, but most will work fine. This and many other tricks, some of which likewise break action economy, are why I am thinking more and more all those ACFs that trade away your familiar aren't an automatic broken choice. Actually they may be a bad deal... except we have the obtain familiar feat to break things all over again.

Major thread tangent: That actually just gave me an idea for one of my favorite character concepts I have yet to try. I would secretly pretend my familiar is my PC. And then boost the snot out of him while downplaying the value of familiars. Plus if "I" die, I summon another me and confuse everyone... In spite of my history of fighting everyone who poo-pooed familiars. The obtain familiar feat would let me pretend like I don't even have a familiar; "Oh I traded away that useless thing for an ACF". And then one day the big secret of my seemingly infinite resurrections (actually they cost a little xp) and every other crazy familiar trick comes out. Originally I worked with familiars just to see if I could. It's kind of a running gag my group has to make the most of these supposedly pointless things that are good only for ACF fuel. Over-RPing their self-importance, etc. I've done really well in one campaign with the above trick but we had to cut it short for reasons I forget. I have yet to go way over the top with this gag concept.

Deophaun
2018-08-05, 03:05 PM
You can totally extend it on mid level dungeons.
I'm not sure you can do it even then. Think about just Searching a dungeon. Each square is a round. Searching a 4x4 room is sixteen rounds. Taking 20 to open a lock is two minutes. Capturing a mook to get information about the rest of the dungeon is another minute at least. Are you using any of the vigor spells for healing? A minute or more there, as well. Do you have a tin can with you? That 20' base speed is going to add up to more minutes.

There are some dungeons that you can do in 20 minutes and be done for the day, but they're very simple and in my experience they aren't the norm. Once you start making skill checks, time evaporates quick. But if your only options really are hack or slash (or you let the wizard do everything), I guess it works.

Troacctid
2018-08-05, 03:25 PM
I've been putting together a comprehensive list of useful items for warlocks. I decided not to limit it to Warlock-specific items only, so I think it ended up being pretty useful even for other classes. Link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit?usp=sharing)

Elkad
2018-08-05, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure you can do it even then. Think about just Searching a dungeon. Each square is a round. Searching a 4x4 room is sixteen rounds. Taking 20 to open a lock is two minutes. Capturing a mook to get information about the rest of the dungeon is another minute at least. Are you using any of the vigor spells for healing? A minute or more there, as well. Do you have a tin can with you? That 20' base speed is going to add up to more minutes.

Some of that is valid. Some is not.
You can search after everything is dead for instance.

Put your buffstack up. Smash several rooms at once. If the monsters alarm their friends you often want to do it that way anyway.

Deophaun
2018-08-05, 03:52 PM
Some of that is valid. Some is not.
You can search after everything is dead for instance.
That doesn't work for traps and secret passages.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-05, 03:52 PM
You can totally extend it on mid level dungeons. But if it's only getting you through one encounter I assume you mean you have a buffing round. In which case I'd usually rather cast haste or something else rnd/lev that's way better. And it's not something I count on and use to prepare spells.

I was going to write one more major trick but I forgot. Having your familiar hold a touch for a spell such as bull's strength is a great way to conserve your action. Just have him deliver the touch right before you cast another spell on your turn. I like a bat familiar for better mobility, but most will work fine. This and many other tricks, some of which likewise break action economy, are why I am thinking more and more all those ACFs that trade away your familiar aren't an automatic broken choice. Actually they may be a bad deal... except we have the obtain familiar feat to break things all over again.

Major thread tangent: That actually just gave me an idea for one of my favorite character concepts I have yet to try. I would secretly pretend my familiar is my PC. And then boost the snot out of him while downplaying the value of familiars. Plus if "I" die, I summon another me and confuse everyone... In spite of my history of fighting everyone who poo-pooed familiars. The obtain familiar feat would let me pretend like I don't even have a familiar; "Oh I traded away that useless thing for an ACF". And then one day the big secret of my seemingly infinite resurrections (actually they cost a little xp) and every other crazy familiar trick comes out. Originally I worked with familiars just to see if I could. It's kind of a running gag my group has to make the most of these supposedly pointless things that are good only for ACF fuel. Over-RPing their self-importance, etc. I've done really well in one campaign with the above trick but we had to cut it short for reasons I forget. I have yet to go way over the top with this gag concept.Your campaigns must be REALLY slow if you can wait a year-and-a-day between adventures.

Thurbane
2018-08-05, 04:47 PM
There's a list of magic items here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) which might be a good starting point. These are things that every character wants/needs sooner or later, like permanent flight and immunity to death effects.

As well as this, you might want to take a look at [3.x] Shax's Indispensible Haversack (Equipment Handbook) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101)

Asmotherion
2018-08-05, 05:04 PM

There are some dungeons that you can do in 20 minutes and be done for the day, but they're very simple and in my experience they aren't the norm. Once you start making skill checks, time evaporates quick. But if your only options really are hack or slash (or you let the wizard do everything), I guess it works.

It's more about taking it slow. 2-3 Rooms per Session, and then Rope Trick/Tiny Hut or something else that allows for a Safe Rest.

This allows the DM to put more Detail into his Dungeon, and the Players to get a Safer Passage from the Dungeor by recovering from each Battle.

Rushing things only take away the Details, and make for sloppy RP in my experiance at least. Ofcource, the DM may give you reason to rush things, and that's an entirelly different thing.

skunk3
2018-08-05, 05:38 PM
I've found that there's certain things that you can buy in the game that are useful for almost ANY character.

-Ring of Freedom of Movement
-Ring of Evasion
-Belt of Battle
-Soulfire armor enhancement (alternatively, the Greater Crystal of Lifekeeping is a bargain IMO)
-Empyreal armor/shield enhancement
-Warning weapon enhancement
-Eager weapon enhancement
-Parrying weapon enhancement
-Ghost Ward shield enhancement (applies to ALL touch attacks, including touch spells, ranged touch spells, etc.)
-Item of Resistance +5
-Handy Haversack
-various Ioun stones
-Stone of Good Luck
-Tabard of Valor
-Healing Belt (this one is woefully underpriced IMO)
-Healing + Greater Healing armor enhancements
-Boots of Striding and Springing (+10 to movement is great and you can always just add to the item by adding properties from other boots using the MIC rules)
-Feather Token: Tree (hilarious)
-Medium Fortification armor/shield enhancement

And many many many more. It really just depends on what kind of build you're working with, if you can craft, wealth level of the game, magic level of the game, etc. The aforementioned list is basically present on every character I play as soon as I can afford it. Also, I have to mention the Cowl of Warding. It's a crazy expensive item but it's hands down one of my favorite items in the game even though I've never gotten to actually own one. :)

ericgrau
2018-08-05, 06:12 PM
Your campaigns must be REALLY slow if you can wait a year-and-a-day between adventures.

Oh dang I see the rule now. Thanks for catching that. So he'd have to be raised normally. So much for that idea. Hmm, so if I did the switch-aroo I'd have to be really careful with my half HP. And I can't raise him with my mage until I get limited wish.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-05, 06:22 PM
Oh dang I see the rule now. Thanks for catching that. So he'd have to be raised normally. So much for that idea. Hmm, so if I did the switch-aroo I'd have to be really careful with my half HP. And I can't raise him with my mage until I get limited wish. You can always pull a The Big Guy is With Me with a psicrystal. Apparently if they die custserv says "you get another one."

ericgrau
2018-08-05, 06:24 PM
It's more about taking it slow. 2-3 Rooms per Session, and then Rope Trick/Tiny Hut or something else that allows for a Safe Rest.

This allows the DM to put more Detail into his Dungeon, and the Players to get a Safer Passage from the Dungeor by recovering from each Battle.

Rushing things only take away the Details, and make for sloppy RP in my experiance at least. Ofcource, the DM may give you reason to rush things, and that's an entirelly different thing.

"Safe rest" gives monsters time to respond though if they're at all connected to each other. To be alerted something is wrong and regroup if not prepare more. It seems like stopping to sleep in the middle of the dungeon and not expecting a severe response after 8 hours of prep seems to kill RP more. Traps may slow the PCs down and eat up some healing, yes. That's more of a reason why the buff duration might run out. Though if you did manage to rope trick every 2-3 rooms without a single enemy caring or noticing that you killed other monsters nearby, then that's more reason for your min/lev buff to last for the whole adventuring day.

Wilderness travel is way worse. Regardless min/level buffs are iffy and you shouldn't prepare too many unless you're certain they'll make it through the day. Back on topic, best to be careful about enhancement bonuses whether from item or spell. Items are often too expensive. For spells there are ways to make them work at times and avoid losing an action, but at other times you want other alternatives.

Asmotherion
2018-08-05, 07:10 PM
Back on topic, the most useful and versalite Magic Item I've ever used is a Ring of Telekinesis. A bit of Out of the Box thinking, and the limit is really the Sky with this thing.

Many people rant on it's limits, but it's At-Will Telekinesis. It's as good as it can get.

Stoic
2018-08-05, 09:10 PM
The Equipment section of Dictum Mortuum's Wizard's Handbook (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wizards'_Handbook_by_Dictum_Mortuum_(DnD_Optimized _Character_Build)/Equipment) has a nice selection of magic items.

Elkad
2018-08-05, 10:57 PM
That doesn't work for traps and secret passages.

Thus why I said sometimes valid.

Do I need to find the secret passage to get to the boss? Or is it just hiding the treasure room? Maybe it just gets me around the pit guarding the next room?
I can find the treasure room later. And if my buffs are still running, I can just Fly over the pit.

Smash in. Buff up. Clear every area you can get to without searching. 4-5 rooms in a stack of buffs lasting 7 minutes isn't unreasonable if you move with a purpose. Including time to Search the more obvious features - doors and such.
As soon as the enemies are down, the rogue moves immediately to check the route, while the others take care of necessary healing and grabbing more-obvious choice items.

Mordaedil
2018-08-06, 04:29 AM
Anklet of dislocation and belt of healing are really useful items early on, clear large gorges, heal people from unconsciousness to a decent amount of hit points.

OgresAreCute
2018-08-06, 04:36 AM
Anklet of dislocation and belt of healing are really useful items early on, clear large gorges, heal people from unconsciousness to a decent amount of hit points.

Either that's an Anklet of Translocation, or you need to go see a doctor.

Deophaun
2018-08-06, 06:30 AM
Thus why I said sometimes valid.
You didn't, actually. You said "Some of that is valid. Some is not." And then you singled out Search, as if it was not valid. Not "sometimes" valid. Just not valid, period.

I had already covered the "sometimes" by talking about a pure hack and slash or having a wizard standing in for the skill monkey.

Mordaedil
2018-08-06, 07:01 AM
Either that's an Anklet of Translocation, or you need to go see a doctor.

Auto-correct does funny things.

Luckmann
2018-08-06, 08:50 AM
I was thinking of starting my own thread, but I think it fits in here.

I'm playing a priestess of Lathander in a game (technically cloistered cleric), a borderline pacifistic character that is calm and pious, and I've been thinking about things that can fill the face slot, and I just never could think of anything that would fit. Blindfolds don't fit. Goggles don't fit. Monocles don't fit. But then I realized it; veils! Problem is.. I can't really find any. I found the Shadow Veil (MIC), as well as the Seven Veils (MIC), but neither really fits, and when I search for ideas, I just keep getting results discussing Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil.

I don't think the GM would have much issue with transferring magic effects from one kind of item to another, and he's always receptive to suggestions regarding custom magic items, sticking (so far entirely) to the guidelines for magic item creation.

Anyone that has any suggestions, anything that would fit the concept? It would be great if it's a listed magic item that is a veil, but other face-slot items that can reasonably be "changed" into veils or custom items are also on the table. I'm considering asking for Artificer's Monocle (MIC) as a veil, combined with use-activated Detect Magic, but if there are funnier or better or more fitting ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Optimization is strictly secondary and anything that can be squeezed in as focused on creativity or mornings or sunlight is a huge plus.

Deophaun
2018-08-06, 09:08 AM
I'm playing a priestess of Lathander in a game (technically cloistered cleric), a borderline pacifistic character that is calm and pious, and I've been thinking about things that can fill the face slot, and I just never could think of anything that would fit. Blindfolds don't fit. Goggles don't fit. Monocles don't fit.
Why not glasses? You wouldn't hit a gal with glasses, would you?

Masks are also good.
https://preview.ibb.co/fqJpVe/screen_shot_2016_08_14_at_12_20_16_pm.png

I don't think the GM would have much issue with transferring magic effects from one kind of item to another, and he's always receptive to suggestions regarding custom magic items, sticking (so far entirely) to the guidelines for magic item creation.
Well, this isn't a custom magic item. This is a refluff. And considering there are actual rules for merging magic items to double up on a slot (again, not a custom magic item, which are guidelines, not rules), it's pretty much RAW that any magic item in the game can have its form altered to anything else that fits the slot. I mean, if my characters were forced to wear things only as they are described in the books, they'd all go naked.

In general, though, face slots are rather underwhelming. If your DM is permissive with custom magic item creation, run with it and go diving through the spell lists. Gaze attacks, abjurations, divinations, beneficial enchantments, go nuts.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-06, 09:17 AM
Artificer's monocles (MIC) are absolute gold.

Pretty much literally.

Use detect magic in lieu of identify when ID'ing magic items? Yes, please! Saves 100 gp and a 1st level spell slot (and a whole hour) for every magic item you ever want to ID ever again.

Darrin
2018-08-06, 10:14 AM
But then I realized it; veils! Problem is.. I can't really find any. I found the Shadow Veil (MIC), as well as the Seven Veils (MIC), but neither really fits, and when I search for ideas, I just keep getting results discussing Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil.

Veil of Allure (14000 GP, Sandstorm/MIC) might work, although it helps if you have an (Su) ability, either from your race or class levels. Crystal Mask of Knowledge (2500 GP, MIC) is cheaper, and might fit the "cloistered cleric" theme better. Lathander's portfolio includes light and to a certain extent vision, so any of the lenses/eyes that give you a bonus on spot or lets you see invisibility (such as Eyes of Expanded Vison or Eyes of Truth) should fit in with your deity. Goggles of the Golden Sun (4000 GP, MIC) would likely be popular with Lathander's priests. Raptor's Mask (2500 GP, MIC) has abilities that are very Lathander-ish, even if raptors aren't necessarily part of his portfolio. The Winged Mask (13000 GP, Magic of Faerun) gives you at-will flight but causes you to glow like a light spell, which is a very Lathander-ish thing to do. The Hathran Mask of Flames (5700 GP, Unapproachable East) could also work as a Lathander item.

Spellsight Spectacles (2500 GP, MIC) are another good go-to item for a spellcaster, although you only need to wear them when dealing with scrolls.

Third Eye Clarity (3000 GP, MIC) or Third Eye Freedom (2600 GP, MIC) are good filler items for the face slot. Ask your DM if you can refluff them as a veil.

Asmotherion
2018-08-06, 11:25 AM

Pretty much literally.

Use detect magic in lieu of identify when ID'ing magic items? Yes, please! Saves 100 gp and a 1st level spell slot (and a whole hour) for every magic item you ever want to ID ever again.

Yep, it's really overprised to Identify in this edition, and you can't NOT do it on every single loot you get, by fear of loosing something actually important.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-06, 11:43 AM

Pretty much literally.

You can already do that with just Detect Magic and a spellcraft check (MIC p. 217) at DC 25 + half CL. No monocle necessary.
Reaching the DC is fairly trivial for an int-based spellcaster since you can take 20.

Troacctid
2018-08-06, 01:21 PM
Third Eye Clarity (3000 GP, MIC) or Third Eye Freedom (2600 GP, MIC) are good filler items for the face slot. Ask your DM if you can refluff them as a veil.
Third Eye of Psionic Sight (1000 gp, Detect Psionics at will) and Third Eye Sense (24,000 gp, Clairvoyant Sense at will) are also quite nice in the Third Eye category.