View Full Version : Any Dragon Shaman + Druid PrC?

Deaconjunglist
2018-08-05, 09:21 AM
A friend is playing a DS5/Dr1. I don't know anything about the DS, but this seems like a good combo for a PrC. Any luck?

Btw, power level/optimization is not a concern in this group.

Andezzar
2018-08-05, 09:58 AM
No, there is no PrC that advances both Druid and Dragon Shaman Class Features. Dragon Shaman alone is not supported by PrCs either AFAIK.

PhantasyPen
2018-08-05, 11:00 AM
Since the Dragon Shaman was a rather late addition to 3.5's lineup, there's really not a lot of support for it outside of the Dragon Magic sourcebook. There's definitely nothing that mixes it with Druid to my knowledge even then, but you might be able to convince your DM to let you homebrew something.

ezekielraiden
2018-08-05, 11:35 AM
I imagine, if homebrew is required, you could fairly easily persuade the DM that Arcane Hierophant is more powerful than "Advance Dragon Shaman + Druid." You aren't getting Wizard-level spellcasting, so picking a couple of Dragon Shaman features to advance, plus the normal Arcane Hierophant features for Druids, would seem perfectly cromulent.

Call it "Dragon Hierophant." Your Dragon Hierophant level stacks with your Dragon Shaman level for determining the strength of your class features, and you advance your Druid wild shape, animal companion, and spellcasting. The Dragon Shaman is straight-up much less powerful than Wizard or Sorcerer, so it shouldn't be a big deal that you advance most/all of the Dragon Shaman's class features.

Zaq
2018-08-05, 11:55 AM
Is there something in particular that the player in question is attempting to do with that, um, interesting mix of classes? A particular flavor that they're interested in, or a particular mechanical effect that they're gunning for? That might help spur some other suggestions.

PunBlake
2018-08-05, 11:58 AM
I imagine, if homebrew is required, you could fairly easily persuade the DM that Arcane Hierophant is more powerful than "Advance Dragon Shaman + Druid." You aren't getting Wizard-level spellcasting, so picking a couple of Dragon Shaman features to advance, plus the normal Arcane Hierophant features for Druids, would seem perfectly cromulent.

Call it "Dragon Hierophant." Your Dragon Hierophant level stacks with your Dragon Shaman level for determining the strength of your class features, and you advance your Druid wild shape, animal companion, and spellcasting. The Dragon Shaman is straight-up much less powerful than Wizard or Sorcerer, so it shouldn't be a big deal that you advance most/all of the Dragon Shaman's class features.

I was about to say the same thing, except that for prestige classes, you always give up something. I'd say the most important features from Dragon Shaman are Breath Weapon and Auras. Advancing those with anything that advances Arcane Caster Level (similar to Warlock or Dragonfire Adept) would be reasonable, and Arcane Hierophant is the best dual-progression prestige class you'll find to adapt to this purpose.

noce
2018-08-05, 01:06 PM
I was about to say the same thing, except that for prestige classes, you always give up something. I'd say the most important features from Dragon Shaman are Breath Weapon and Auras. Advancing those with anything that advances Arcane Caster Level (similar to Warlock or Dragonfire Adept) would be reasonable, and Arcane Hierophant is the best dual-progression prestige class you'll find to adapt to this purpose.

He already gave up 5 druid levels going dragon shaman instead, so no lvl 8 and 9 spells for him, and much less powerful wildshape.

I'd add to "dragon hierophant" the following:
1. Dragon wild shape as a capstone.
2. Draconic creature template to animal companion (spells continue to function as if it were a normal animal companion).

Troacctid
2018-08-05, 01:24 PM
I made a homebrew prestige class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427306-Prestige-Class-Gestalt-Theurge) for this.

weckar
2018-08-05, 04:56 PM
Adding in my two cents that if DragonFire adept rather than Dragon Shaman were the case, Eldritch Disciple would technically be able to advance both.

Mike Miller
2018-08-05, 06:19 PM

You've embiggened this thread.

Also, I like Troacctid's homebrew theurge

lylsyly
2018-08-05, 07:42 PM
I made a homebrew prestige class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427306-Prestige-Class-Gestalt-Theurge) for this.

And it is quite nice!

You've embiggened this thread. Also, I like Troacctid's homebrew theurge

LOL, I had to look it up myself, and I iz college edumicated.

Adding in my two cents that if DragonFire adept rather than Dragon Shaman were the case, Eldritch Disciple would technically be able to advance both.

This!