PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Yet another Hexblade thread

Dunkoro
2018-08-05, 11:48 AM
So, after our GM announced we're going to play 5e for the first time after having played pretty much unoptimizable systems for the last 2.5 years my inner optimizer squeamed with glee.
After a session zero I came out with a Hexblade and the party's "tank".

Race; Variant Human, Feat; Polearm Master
Class; Hexblade Warlock
STR 8
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 16

Medium Armor, Shield, Quarterstaff

I'm pretty much set on multiclassing out of Warlock after lvl 5, but the amount of possible options is a little overwhelming for me, so I'd strongly appreciate comments on a build I decided on.

Lv
Class
Class Features
Spells Known
Invocations
ASI
Comments

Warlock 1
Pact Magic, Hex Warrior, Hexblade Curse, 1 spell slot
Eldritch Blast, Frostbite, Sleep, Shield
-
Polearm Master
Already taken, not up for changes

Warlock 2
2 spell slots
Hex
Devil's Sight, Fiendish Vigor

Everyone else has DV so Devil's Sight is a no-brainer. Fiendish Vigor is always having 8 extra hp.

Warlock 3
Pact of the Blade
Darkness, Sleep -> Suggestion
Fiendish Vigor -> Improved Pact Weapon

Start using a Glaive/Halberd at this level, IPW is good because I know our GM to be stingy with magic loot

Warlock 4

Friends, Invisibility

CHA +2
Last ASI for a while

Warlock 5

Hypnotic Pattern, Hex -> Elemental Weapon
Thirsting Blade, Improved Pact Weapon -> Eldritch Smite

Will hopefully get a magic weapon by then

Fighter 1
Defense Style, Second Wind

GWF is pretty unimpressive, while +1 AC is always nice

Fighter 2
Action Surge

Fighter 3
EITHER Battlemaster: 3 out of Riposte, Menacing, Trip, Precision
OR Sword Dancer (from setting book): prof in Performance and Persuasion, CHA to AC when light armour

Don't know which is actually better, both fit thematically

Warlock 6
Accursed Specter
Counterspell

Warlock 7

Dispel Magic, Darkness -> Shadow of Moil
Tomb of Levistus/Agonizing Blast

Warlock 8

Dimension Door

CHA +2

Warlock 9

Destructive Wave
Ascendant Step/Tomb of Levistus/Agonizing Blast

Warlock 10
Armor of Hexes
Minor Illusion

Warlock 11
3 spell slots, Mystic Arcanum (Mass Suggestion)
Banishing Smite, Suggestion -> Fly

Finally 3rd cast per short rest

Warlock 12

Lifedrinker
Great Weapon Master
3 levels late, but I deem the tradeoff worth it

Bard 1
Bardic Inspiration (d6)
Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Unseen Servant

Huge repertoire of spells, 1st lvl slots to cast shield in

Bard 2
Jack of All Trades, Song of Rest (d6)
Feather Fall

Bard 3
Expertise, Swords Bard; Blade Flourish and Dueling Style
Silence, Tasha's Hideous Laughter -> Enhance Ability

Switch back to Quarterstaff + Shield

Bard 4

Prestidigitation, Lesser Restoration

Sentinel

Bard 5
Bardic Inspiration (d8), Font of Inspiration
Fear, Unseen Servant -> Bestow Curse

Now to take into consideration opportunity costs I've given up by taking specifically Fighter 3 and Bard 5;
Warlock +2 would give me Master of Hexes and lvl 7 arcanum. (strongly considering this over the last 2 bard levels)
Warlock +5 would give me above, lvl 8 arcanum, Foresight, 1 more spell slot and Shroud of Shadow.
Shadow Sorcerer 1 would give me Darkvision (freeing up an invocation) and a bunch of spells known.
Shadow Sorcerer 3 would also give me the ability to quicken a spell from time to time. (no coffeelock for me, DM is strongly cheese-intolerant)

Eldritch Knight variant on Fighter would give me fun spells like Summon Familiar.
Lore Bard pumps up the versatility significantly with a small downgrade in combat capabilities.
Whispers Bard allows for better alpha-strikes, especially with expanded crit chance.
Paladin is a non-option due to STR requirement.

Overall this whole thing seems to be receiving major power upgrades every 3 levels or so, which makes it pretty good for a long-running campaign without any major lags.
Losing access to high-level spells is not a huge deal as half of our party are full casters (Cleric and Sorcerer).
It might even be worth it to never come back to the warlock after the 5th level, but then I'm not really sure what to fill the other levels with.

Imriel
2018-08-06, 05:10 AM
Wow what's that sword dancer thing? 😍

Dunkoro
2018-08-06, 07:59 AM
Wow what's that sword dancer thing? 😍

We're playing in Midgard, which is a 3rd party setting for 5e. It includes a bunch of content specific for that setting, some of which are subraces, some of which are subclasses.
This is a pretty fine fighter subclass that would fit a CHA-focused character pretty nice, but would reduce the amount of available options in combat due to lack of Battlemaster.

Arcangel4774
2018-08-06, 08:16 AM
If its the sword dancer that a quick google search found, it isnt structured like normal 5e fighters, in that it gains almost nothing from its 3rd level besides some social abillities. Youd be better off going with the battlemaster or some other archetype that piques your fancy.

Dunkoro
2018-08-06, 08:22 AM
If its the sword dancer that a quick google search found, it isnt structured like normal 5e fighters, in that it gains almost nothing from its 3rd level besides some social abillities. Youd be better off going with the battlemaster or some other archetype that piques your fancy.

It gives me the abilities I listed; 2 skill proficiences and CHA to AC when wearing light armor.

The tradeoff is of having significantly higher AC (effectively +3 to AC) as compared to battlemaster maneuvers (which provide flexibility and power to my attacks).