PDA

View Full Version : Pretty boned...

HolyDraconus
2018-08-05, 02:57 PM
To make a long story short, our party is fighting two mummy lords, a treant and a bulette in the mummy lords lair. I was hoping you guys can come with a way to get us out of this mess. Diplomacy has failed, and assume AL rules for character creation. Current party that is guaranteed to be there is a level 11 barbarian, and a level 13 wizard. May have also a level 13 multi class rogue, a level 12 monk and a level 11 life cleric. Personally, I'm expecting a party wipe next week, but who knows.

Unoriginal
2018-08-05, 03:05 PM
To make a long story short, our party is fighting two mummy lords, a treant and a bulette in the mummy lords lair. I was hoping you guys can come with a way to get us out of this mess. Diplomacy has failed, and assume AL rules for character creation. Current party that is guaranteed to be there is a level 11 barbarian, and a level 13 wizard. May have also a level 13 multi class rogue, a level 12 monk and a level 11 life cleric. Personally, I'm expecting a party wipe next week, but who knows.

A list as complete as possible of stats (including which ressources you still have) would help us to to help you a lot.

Also a description as complete as possible of the room the fight is in, and of the building you had to go through to get there.

Also bis: why does the treant want to kill you and is allied to two Undead?

JakOfAllTirades
2018-08-05, 03:11 PM
Your best bet is using enchantment spells to turn foes against each other. Dominate Monster and Enemies Abound would be ideal.

Start with the Bulette.

Also, it's a good question why the Treant is on the Mummy Lords' side. If they have it under some kind of magical control, try using Dispel Magic to set it free and it'll probably help you.

MrStabby
2018-08-05, 03:30 PM
Any option to drop a fireball? Seems like you are facing a lot of fire vulnerable enemies. If you can set enough of the environment on fire and protect yourself for just a few rounds you could be in a much better position.

Edit: also true sight to spot the illusion might help.

HolyDraconus
2018-08-05, 03:32 PM
Room is about 50 by 50, the characters have 18s in main stats, barb, cleric and monk have volo for the plus 1. Treant believes all life must end, ala chaotic evil. No surprise for anyone. Fight starts next week. Monk has a +2spear, barb +1sword , wizard a wand of plus 2 crap

Edit: they are under a mountain but have full spells, abilities etc

JoeJ
2018-08-05, 04:00 PM
Darn. I saw the thread title and thought it was going to be about how to decorate a skeleton.

Unoriginal
2018-08-05, 05:09 PM
Any idea of what spells they have prepared?

And do you know where the Mummy Lords' hearts are?

Honest Tiefling
2018-08-05, 05:27 PM
Sooo...Is there any obligation to fight, or is running away an option? Just putting that out there. I mean, I don't know the alignment of the wizard, but if the barbarian charges in they could quietly slip away.

HolyDraconus
2018-08-05, 06:51 PM
Reminds me of a Bag of Beans experience...

Mummy Lord in a 60x60 pyramid lair that bursts upward, a bulette burrowing up from underneath and attacking, and a treant sprouts with a 50% chance to be chaotic evil... but wait, no shriekers?!?!

Back in my old AD&D years I once ran an adventure that attempted to use all the magical items in interesting ways for the encounters and whatnot. Looking thru the 5e DMG and Xanather's Guide got me to thinking about recreating it.

Thats.... exactly what happened. About 20 shriekers but the monk had silence up from the previous fight so they are literally a non threat. The lords share the pyramid. I guess they're lovers. There's like 40 fruit from a random tree that randomly sprouted that has random effects. The barbarian is 1 point smarter now. And there's a fountain of red wine that's shooting I think 12ft up. All of this inside an ice cave, under a mountain, next to a dead frost giant corpse.

HolyDraconus
2018-08-06, 12:12 PM
So we are doomed yes?

nickl_2000
2018-08-06, 12:31 PM
Well the first thing that the cleric should be doing is attempting to turn undead on the Mummy Lords. If you can one of them out of the fight for 1 minute it may be enough to take care of everything else.

The next step will be the wizard using wall spells to block off line of sight with either the Treant or a Mummy Lord. This will give you at least a respite long enough to gang up on one enemy.

Another option would be for the Wizard to cast Conjure Element for a Fire elemental and run the heck away. The next round, drop concentration and cast it again. Then you have two fire elementals fighting against some critters that won't like fire, so it is likely that they will be fighting it out. That should weaken the enemies enough that it will help you out in the actual battle.

Unoriginal
2018-08-06, 01:29 PM
You guys could just run away until you reach a better point.