PDA

View Full Version : Temple of Elemental BORING TYPES

Dr. Azkur
2018-08-05, 06:14 PM
I'm gonna cut to the chase here: I find elemental damage (or damage types in general) quite lacking.

I'm not against the fluff doing the heavy lifting in most games, but it just being a type with no effects further than certain mechanics reffering to such types feels lazy, specially when spells, monsters, traps and so on rely so heavily on these types to distinguish one from the other.

Again, I'm not against describing the effects as a DM to differentiate them all, but I'd also like some more complexity and depth to arise in this particular corner of the game system. For example, by attaching some property to the type itself (such as the classic and intuitive Acid Damage -> Extra Damage on following turns).

Now, I'm wondering what unique and devious game mechanics and machinations occur to you, fellow playgrounder... be it an original idea, something borrowed from another game system or even from video games.

furby076
2018-08-05, 10:51 PM
fire = save dc 10 or be lit on fire and take 1 dmg each additional round unless you put it out. After 3 rounds your non magical clothes burn off, you are naked
ice = save dc 10 or have -5 movement for d4 rounds
Acid = save dc 10 or take 1 dmg each additional round unless you pour liquid on you to remove it. Your non magical clothes disintigrate, you are naked
Thunder = save dc 10 to make concentration check

Is that what you are looking for? I'd keep it weak and annoying to avoid increasing the weapons rarity

opaopajr
2018-08-05, 11:07 PM
Use a different cosmology? :smallwink: How about the periodic table of elements? :smallbiggrin: Deal cobalt, antimony, or berkelium damage! :smalltongue:

JNAProductions
2018-08-06, 12:22 AM
fire = save dc 10 or be lit on fire and take 1 dmg each additional round unless you put it out. After 3 rounds your non magical clothes burn off, you are naked
ice = save dc 10 or have -5 movement for d4 rounds
Acid = save dc 10 or take 1 dmg each additional round unless you pour liquid on you to remove it. Your non magical clothes disintigrate, you are naked
Thunder = save dc 10 to make concentration check

Is that what you are looking for? I'd keep it weak and annoying to avoid increasing the weapons rarity

"I caught fire!"

"How? You're in full plate!"

"I don't know! WHY IS IT BURNING AWAY?"

Waazraath
2018-08-06, 02:29 AM
I'm gonna cut to the chase here: I find elemental damage (or damage types in general) quite lacking.

I'm not against the fluff doing the heavy lifting in most games, but it just being a type with no effects further than certain mechanics reffering to such types feels lazy, specially when spells, monsters, traps and so on rely so heavily on these types to distinguish one from the other.

Again, I'm not against describing the effects as a DM to differentiate them all, but I'd also like some more complexity and depth to arise in this particular corner of the game system. For example, by attaching some property to the type itself (such as the classic and intuitive Acid Damage -> Extra Damage on following turns).

Now, I'm wondering what unique and devious game mechanics and machinations occur to you, fellow playgrounder... be it an original idea, something borrowed from another game system or even from video games.

Bolded for emphasis. It might feel lazy, but its just 5th design principles I think: keeping it simple. Having 5 (or more) different sub-effects is just extra effort to keep track of what everything does, without really doeing something major for the game (except for catering to people who like complicated).

As for ideas: if you really want to add something like this, I'd check out what 3.5 psionics did with this. All psi powers that did elemental damage had a rider effect; afb, but it was in the line of: a little bit more damage, ignore spell resistance, +2 to hit (for lightning), etc.

Arcangel4774
2018-08-06, 08:26 AM
I think it would be nice if more things had particular dmage type interactions. The closest i can think of is regenerating enemies and the interactions with fire and acid. Some elementals and skeletons also have nice interavtions if i revall, but otherwise its lacking.

Vogie
2018-08-06, 08:42 AM
Some I was toying with:
Acid. Chance to weaken armor (reduce AC) or burn 1d4 damage next turn
Bludgeoning. Chance to break bones, reducing speed or making them drop their weapon
Cold. Chance to give disadvantage and/or slow the target
Fire. Chance to ignite target, if there's something flammable. If ignited, the target will set other things aflame and may burn 1d4 damage at the end of each turn, unless an action is taken to put out the flames (by someone)
Force. Chance to push/knock over targets
Lightning. Chance to jump between targets unintentionally, moreso if the target is wearing metal, or standing in water
Necrotic. Chance to weaken the targets damage from attacks by 1d4
Piercing. Chance to bleed. (When Bleeding, the target takes an additional 1d4 damage next weapon hit)
Poison. Chance to deal 1d4 damage next turn and/or become poisoned (Poisoned means disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks)
Psychic. Chance to confuse. If confused, Roll a D10

1 The creature uses all its movement to move in a random direction.
2-4 The creature doesn’t move or take actions this turn.
5-6 The creature uses its action to make a melee attack against a randomly determined creature within its reach. If there is no creature within its reach, the creature does nothing this turn.
7-10 The creature can act and move normally
Radiant. Chance to blind for one round (A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight. Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage)
Slashing. Chance to cause the target to bleed, or panic (require a wisdom save to keep attacking)
Thunder. Chance to Deafen/Panic. (A deafened creature can’t hear and automatically fails any ability check that requires hearing, can be surprised even in combat if snuck up upon)

nickl_2000
2018-08-06, 08:44 AM
Use a different cosmology? :smallwink: How about the periodic table of elements? :smallbiggrin: Deal cobalt, antimony, or berkelium damage! :smalltongue:

When you start dealing uranium and plutonium damage is when things start getting really serious

"I caught fire!"

"How? You're in full plate!"

"I don't know! WHY IS IT BURNING AWAY?"

To be fair full plate isn't just the metal. There is padding and cloth under it to make it more comfortable and protect joints better. That could burn away.

Millstone85
2018-08-06, 08:59 AM
I would link certain damage types to conditions, on a saving throw DC calculated from the damage.

Cold
Grappled

Force
Prone

Necrotic
Exhausted

Poison
Poisoned

Psychic
Frightened

Radiant
Blinded

Thunder
Deafened

Willie the Duck
2018-08-06, 01:05 PM

The noble background just got more interesting. :smalltongue:

nickl_2000
2018-08-06, 02:02 PM

You are right, the noble background is a gas!

Willie the Duck
2018-08-06, 02:28 PM

I have no reaction to that pun.

Jama7301
2018-08-06, 02:36 PM

I have no reaction to that pun.

Both of you are fired. Turn in your dice and badges on my desk by the end of the day.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-08-06, 02:43 PM
Both of you are fired. Turn in your dice and badges on my desk by the end of the day.

He's right, you need to be arGon by the end of the day. I'm neOn his side here.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-06, 05:06 PM

I wouldn't take it personally.

His anger is Periodic.

Jama7301
2018-08-06, 05:13 PM
I regret everything...

On topic, I'm not sure if I would like having a list of other effects for spells. Feels like it would just increase bookkeeping/mental load (Oh wait, this spell lets me do something else besides it's stated thing, because it's a new type), and it feels like it would wildly swing the power of existing spells. Layering this on top of the existing magic system might also make cantrips spike in weird ways.

In a system that's built with the elements in mind, sure, that would provide some interesting mechanics. Bolted on to 5e's design? Not so much.

Stan
2018-08-06, 05:14 PM
If you make non-weapon damage types more powerful, the overall effect will be to empower spellcasters. You could partially adjust by bumping up alchemy and creating items that will add special damage to weapons. But core 5e didn't want that much complexity.

Pex
2018-08-06, 05:35 PM
Munchkins will ask how much silver damage, gold damage, and platinum damage it takes to equal 1 gp.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-08-06, 08:41 PM
I regret everything...

On topic, I'm not sure if I would like having a list of other effects for spells. Feels like it would just increase bookkeeping/mental load (Oh wait, this spell lets me do something else besides it's stated thing, because it's a new type), and it feels like it would wildly swing the power of existing spells. Layering this on top of the existing magic system might also make cantrips spike in weird ways.

In a system that's built with the elements in mind, sure, that would provide some interesting mechanics. Bolted on to 5e's design? Not so much.

Horrible yet entirely enjoyable puns aside, I agree entirely; one of the things I really like about 5e is how simple the system is, and I don't want to deal with how all those different special effects would impact gameplay. It would be annoying as heck, and I'm perfectly happy with how damage works now. If I wanted fiddly recordkeeping like that, I'd go back to HERO system.

JackPhoenix
2018-08-06, 11:52 PM

Makes sense, nobles tend to fill any available space, and they turn into liquid if you compress them sufficiently.