PDA

View Full Version : DND birthday gift

Mill6479
2018-08-06, 04:00 AM
Okay so my boyfriend’s birthday is coming up and he mentioned a while ago needing one more book to complete his collection. I really know nothing about this game and I feel like there’s way more out there than just one more. The ones he has are:
Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting
Player’s handbook
Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes
Volo’s Guide to Monsters
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything
Dungeon Master’s guide

If anyone has any suggestions as to what the last book would be, that would be great but suggestions on DND related gifts would also be appreciated. I should also mention that he’s the DM of his group.

Grand Arbiter
2018-08-06, 08:55 AM
Okay so my boyfriend’s birthday is coming up and he mentioned a while ago needing one more book to complete his collection. I really know nothing about this game and I feel like there’s way more out there than just one more. The ones he has are:
Player’s handbook
Volo’s Guide to Monsters
Dungeon Master’s guide

If anyone has any suggestions as to what the last book would be, that would be great but suggestions on DND related gifts would also be appreciated. I should also mention that he’s the DM of his group.

This sounds like D&D 5e, so asking in the 5e subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-D-amp-D-5e-Next) may get you the answer you seek.

I'll bring the thread to mod attention so they can either move this thread to the 5e subforum or close this thread while you make another over there. :smallsmile:

Morph Bark
2018-08-06, 09:19 AM
The "core books" of Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition are the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual. It seems like that list of book does not have the Monster Manual, so perhaps that's it?

As far as I know, all the other books cover "adventure paths" (basically a story that you can play through).

Great that you're supportive of his hobby in spite of knowing little of it!

Knaight
2018-08-06, 03:07 PM
Player’s handbook
Volo’s Guide to Monsters
Dungeon Master’s guide

The "collection" in this case is a specific subset of D&D manuals. Inferring from the list that's there: We're looking at only 5th edition books, and with the exception of one campaign setting the "core" line of books. So I'm reasonably confident that's where to look for the gap, and sure enough there is a one book gap there - he doesn't have the Monster Manual (which is a different book than Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes).

You want the 5th edition Monster Manual in particular. While you could look for specific signifiers, I feel like the easiest way to clarify is to just put up a picture of the cover.
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/styles/product_tabletop_left/public/images/product/DnD_MonsterManual.png?itok=RYO16lc_

Honest Tiefling
2018-08-06, 03:24 PM
You can also usually ask a shop for a gift receipt or tuck one in the box underneath the book for future use, if you don't mind him exchanging it for the right one if you make a mistake. If you are okay with this, I think he should be willing to accept that you made a very honest effort to be supportive of his hobbies.

I would link Knaight's advice, but it includes an image. But that is the book he is missing since there...Well, aren't exactly a whole lot of books. You'll want the one with that exact cover.

If for some reason, you can't find it, consider trying the game out. Hey, it's cheap!

Magic_Hat
2018-08-06, 07:37 PM
You could just also get him a bunch of miniature figurines. You can never have enough of those. I know it's not the book you're talking about, but D&D has a lot of source books so I'm a bit confused as to what you could be talking about.

Does Hubgrub have gift cards? I'm just wondering because that could be a nice side present as well if his group gets hungry playing and wants to order food. Just throwing ideas out there. Nice dice bag or box or other container to keep his dice in?