PDA

View Full Version : Can I qualify this way?

Yogibear41
2018-08-06, 07:43 PM
I want to enter a prestige class that requires (among other things) the ability to cast 5 illusions spells, with at least one being third level. The class I want to use to enter this prestige class has 4 illusion spells on its list of level 3 or lower: disguise self(1st), ghost sound(1st), invisibility(3rd), and misdirection(3rd). Can I take one of the many feats that grants SLA's to give myself a SLA that duplicate an illusion spell to meet the 5th spell requirement, under the "specific spell requirements" part of complete arcana on page 72?

Note that I do not need to meet the 3rd level illusion spell part, as I have a 3rd level illusion spell.

The class also has more illusions spells at higher level(4th), but I don't want to delay entering the prestige class anymore levels.

ericgrau
2018-08-06, 08:02 PM
I did a quick Google and didn't get a clear consensus before my attention span ran out. But I did find "probably yes" and "Not sure but it seems reasonable to allow, why not ask your DM?" Personally I'd allow you to make up a custom illusion spell for the class and qualify that way. That's a lot easier than getting an SLA and still fair, so an SLA is more than fair IMO.

By strict RAW spell like abilities usually work just like spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) except for XYZ. So then it's a matter of how far does "usually work just like spells" go?

So... I'd ask your DM now and see if he'll make a quick ruling. And if not you might get a better answer in this thread later that may help sway him. For now you can give him the SRD link.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-06, 08:05 PM
Does your class have cantrips? Are any of them illusion spells?

CharonsHelper
2018-08-06, 08:05 PM
In Pathfinder I know that the answer is no. (They temporarily had the FAQ be yes, but changed their mind a year later.) I'm not sure about 3.5 officially.

Crake
2018-08-06, 08:19 PM
Instead of getting a feat to get an illusion SLA, why not get the magical training feat and be able to unambiguously cast some illusion cantrips to make up the difference?

Yogibear41
2018-08-06, 08:49 PM
No Cantrips, class gets spells per day as a ranger/paladin. Don't have the right race for the magical training feat. Its for 3.5 not pathfinder.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-06, 08:51 PM
Extra Spell? How many of the sand shaper's spells are illusions?

What class are you using, anyway? Is it homebrew? Some classes have lots of additional options for grabbing spells and stuff, after all.

Thurbane
2018-08-06, 09:38 PM
You may be able to find something here: Ways to Expand a Spell List (III) (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2777.0)

Is this for Slayer of Domiel?

Yogibear41
2018-08-06, 09:39 PM
Extra Spell? How many of the sand shaper's spells are illusions?

What class are you using, anyway? Is it homebrew? Some classes have lots of additional options for grabbing spells and stuff, after all.

Its a 3rd party anti-paladin class. Basically Paladin of Slaughter/Tyranny with slightly different spell list and tweaks, but casting is Cha based so less MAD.

Might look at trying to use Hexblade instead and try to use some sort of early entry trick to try and get in at hexblade level 8 since its spontaneous.

Its for Thrall of Fraz'Urblu from Dragon Magazine #333

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-06, 09:48 PM
Its a 3rd party anti-paladin class. Basically Paladin of Slaughter/Tyranny with slightly different spell list and tweaks, but casting is Cha based so less MAD.

Might look at trying to use Hexblade instead and try to use some sort of early entry trick to try and get in at hexblade level 8 since its spontaneous.Dip a level in abrupt jaunt conjuror for the immediate action teleportation, and make sure three of your spells are illusions?

Yogibear41
2018-08-06, 09:51 PM
Trying to avoid dips, want to try to keep full bab before entering the prestige class. More or less just want the capstone ability+the level 9 cohorts, for when my tier 4-5 goodness ultimately fails me and I need to pull out the big gun.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-06, 09:54 PM
Complete arcane says "no" it has to be real spells not SLAs. A dip in most any spellcasting class will make up the difference. There're myriad ways to get extra spells. Use Thurbane's link and find one that works for you.

Thurbane
2018-08-06, 10:05 PM
If you can get them onto the class in question:

Initiate of Cyric adds Skull of Secrets and Triple Mask.

Initiate of Baravar Cloakshadow adds Swift Invisibility.

Yogibear41
2018-08-06, 10:11 PM
Initiate feats don't work because I have to follow Fraz'Urblu the demon prince

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-06, 10:12 PM
Pay a convert-spell-to-power erudite with the Magic Mantle to manifest psychic chirurgery on you to transfer a 3rd level illusion spell?

Yogibear41
2018-08-06, 10:24 PM
I'll probably just give up on the anti-paladin entry, and try to go for an early entry via Hexblade, see if I can get in at level 8, maybe make another thread for it to start over. Or I guess I can just go Cleric 5/Anti-Paladin 2 and enter that way or something.

Allanimal
2018-08-07, 07:57 AM
Trying to avoid dips, want to try to keep full bab before entering the prestige class. More or less just want the capstone ability+the level 9 cohorts, for when my tier 4-5 goodness ultimately fails me and I need to pull out the big gun.

A dip in Duskbkade will keep the full BAB and I think there is an illusion amongst the spells available at 1st. Away from books at the moment so can’t check...

ezekielraiden
2018-08-07, 08:20 AM
A dip in Duskbkade will keep the full BAB and I think there is an illusion amongst the spells available at 1st. Away from books at the moment so can’t check...

There's ghost sound at level 0 and color spray at level 1.

Darrin
2018-08-07, 09:32 AM
Drow of the Underdark has a 2nd level illusion spell for Hexblades called shadow double. Arcane Disciple -> Illusion domain gets you two more: silent image and minor image. Deities with the Illusion domain are a bit rare, but Aasterinian (Races of the Dragon) has it if you don't mind the alignment requirement (CN). It could easily be added to any Trickster god without too much fuss.

If you change your race to Illumian, you can take the Improved Sigil: Krau to increase one of your 2nd level spells to 3rd level.

The Magical Training feat mentioned earlier is from Player's Guide to Faerun, which is 3.5 material. It's a regional feat, and thus requires elf or human as the race, but some DMs will handwave it as a [general] feat. It lets you add three cantrips as either a sorcerer or wizard. This lets you add ghost sound, silent portal (Spell Compendium), and unnerving gaze (Book of Vile Darkness).