PDA

View Full Version : Does this Work?

Yogibear41
2018-08-06, 11:46 PM
I am an 8th level Hexblade with a 15 Charisma.
Which gives me 2 1st level spells and 1 2nd level spell per day.

I have Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell.

Can I spend two 1st level spells to give me an extra 2nd level spell so I can combine it with my regular 2nd level spell slot, so I can cast a Heightened 2nd (now 3rd) level spell to qualify for a prestige class that requires me to be able to cast a 3rd level spell?

Deophaun
2018-08-07, 12:53 AM
No. Versatile Spellcaster only lets you cast a spell from two slots of a level lower. It does not convert lower level slots into higher level slots.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-07, 12:57 AM
No.

Versatile spellcaster doesn't give you a higher level spell to do with it what you want. It allows you to bring a higher level effect into play with lower level slots. There's some debate over whether you can even use metamagic with versatile spellcaster, at least directly.

RoboEmperor
2018-08-07, 01:25 AM
If you want to convince your DM that this trick works you need to do the following.

1. Prove that there is no minimum caster level required for each spell for each class.
2. Prove that Nar Demonbinder, Sublime Chord, and Ur Priests are NOT exceptions to the norm and are valid evidence to disprove 1.
3. Prove that you can cast spells which you have "-" spell slots for. Usually by "Specific v.s. General" and claim Versatile Spellcaster is the specific that lets you ignore all caster level, ability score, and class level requirements.
4. Prove that a spell heightened to 4th level is in fact a 4th level spell. RAW states it increases the "effective level of the spell". Prove that this "effective level" is in fact the true level.
5. Prove that the PrC requirement "ability to cast 4th level spells" is not obtained through class levels, but is instead the ability to cast a spell that is effectively a 4th level spell.

Yogibear41
2018-08-07, 01:32 AM
Fixing the caster level part is easy enough, 8th level hexblade has a CL of 4, could easily take a feat, or a trait, to bump it up to CL 5th which can cast 3rd level spells.

As for the other bits, I thought there was already an official ruling about using Versatile spellcaster for metamagic'd spells?

I figured I couldn't turn my 1sts into an extra 2nd for the point of making a 3rd, got to find a way to get an extra 2nd slot now.