PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else having trouble getting to rpgwebprofiler.net?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-12, 03:15 PM
I host all my sheets at http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net, but the site seems to have been down for the last day or so. Specifically, I've gotten Cannot Find Server errors from three different PCs on three different networks.

Anyone know what the deal is here? What's going on and how much downtime they're planning on? Or if this was even planned in the first place?

Neon Knight
2007-09-12, 03:17 PM
I am also having trouble.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-12, 03:17 PM
It's not just you. One of my PbP game threads is completely halted because all of the players haver their characters on rpgwebprofiler.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-12, 10:34 PM
Yep, I cannot get on either. I'm guessing the server is down.

Toric
2007-09-13, 12:47 AM
I haven't been able to access it since Monday. I'm just thankful that I was using Firefox when I filled out the information for the character I'm currently starting up,so I could just find a website using an identical sheet and could just copy the info I'd typed in the profiler sheet. A cached page from Google shows no sign of this being planned. Hopefully it won't last a week.

Solo
2007-09-13, 06:25 AM
Does anyone know what is going on with the site? Is there any way to find out?

I've invested several character sheets on that site, and my pbp games depend on them...

Fixer
2007-09-13, 06:30 AM
All of mine are nerfed as well. I do hope their outage is temporary.

Searching for a cached copy on Google? That is an excellent idea. I shall try that.

*EDIT* crap, the only google caches are from this site. I have lost my character. :(

Charity
2007-09-13, 07:40 AM
No trouble this side of the pond guys.

I just logged on no worries, no delay.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-13, 07:46 AM
Still having trouble on USA side. How odd.

Emperor Tippy
2007-09-13, 07:56 AM
Yep. Down for me as well.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-13, 08:06 AM
Maybe someone on the other side of the pond could send them an email. Possibly they don't know that there is a problem.

kuja.girl
2007-09-13, 09:28 AM
Very odd. Hopefully things will be resolved soon.

Important lesson learned: Make a backup. On paper.

Charity
2007-09-13, 09:39 AM
Maybe someone on the other side of the pond could send them an email. Possibly they don't know that there is a problem.

I'll let you know if they reply.

Thiel
2007-09-13, 09:42 AM
Very odd. Hopefully things will be resolved soon.

Important lesson learned: Make a backup. On paper.

Or download it. Then, if the site crashes, you can just upload it to another site.

Solo
2007-09-13, 10:24 AM
You can download character sheets off of rpgwebprofiler?

SandDemon
2007-09-13, 10:28 AM
Yeah, isn't there a "download XML" option on their edit page? Have to look once I can actually get to it ;)

Solo
2007-09-13, 01:34 PM
So.... status report?

kuja.girl
2007-09-13, 02:51 PM
You can download character sheets off of rpgwebprofiler?

Yes - But I've yet to find a place that has an "upload" option. :smallannoyed:
If someone knows of a program to read the XML files (I just get lines and lines of code), I'd be interested in looking at it!

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-13, 04:11 PM
Programs that read XML:

Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Safari
Opera

Possibly Word and OpenOffice Writer, haven't tried that, but they'd probably give you the code without some fiddling around with view options.

I recommend Firefox.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-13, 04:13 PM
I wonder if the name servers on this side might be down. Can someone grab the actual numbered address for the site? Should be something like ####.####.####.####

Fixer
2007-09-13, 04:21 PM
I just tried resolving the name to an IP address and I end up with:

www.rpgwebprofiler.net cannot be resolved to an IP Address
So, it is a DNS issue here in the States. Can someone from outside the US get us an IP address?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-13, 04:30 PM
That's what I was figuring. If someone can get us that numeric IP address I bet we could get there here in the States. It would be tricky though because all their references would be mnemonic. But I think we could at least pull our data off.

SandDemon
2007-09-13, 06:31 PM
Shameless bump for IP

Dhavaer
2007-09-13, 06:35 PM
It's down in Australia as well.

Thiel
2007-09-13, 06:45 PM
Yes - But I've yet to find a place that has an "upload" option. :smallannoyed:
If someone knows of a program to read the XML files (I just get lines and lines of code), I'd be interested in looking at it!

e
Both Myth-Weavers (Myth-weavers.com) and The Tangled Net (http://www.thetangledweb.net) is capable of uploading sheets from your computer.

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-13, 06:48 PM
RPGWebProfier, come out wherever you are! *whistles*

No response.

From now on, I'm downloading every significant character sheet onto my computer.

Karsh
2007-09-13, 07:19 PM
Heh, this is quickly getting bad... I've got the first session of a game this Sunday in real life and I had to roll my stats and HP for the character...

Any news?

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-13, 08:05 PM
Both Myth-Weavers (Myth-weavers.com) and The Tangled Net (http://www.thetangledweb.net) is capable of uploading sheets from your computer.Yeah, but I switched over my stuff from The Tangled Web because they couldn't keep their server up reliably. Blah.

Solo
2007-09-13, 08:31 PM
We must sacrifice a goat to Bill Gates and two chickens to Al Gore.

Only then can the Interweb be appeased!

psychoticbarber
2007-09-13, 08:54 PM
Until recently, I felt kinda dumb for the amount of time I spent writing sheets into Google Docs and formatting them just the way I liked them...not so much right now :smallbiggrin:.

Reinboom
2007-09-13, 08:56 PM
http://pifro.com/pro [My own site - openly usable profiler]

for the convenience of anyone who wants to rely on someone they can actually get a hold of.
To upload:
Create a new character sheet. Click character options. Click the edit on the far right of the character sheet. Scroll to the bottom.

androgial
2007-09-13, 08:58 PM
try www.thetangledweb.net instead folks

Karsh
2007-09-13, 09:04 PM
The problem lies in the fact that all of our character sheets are in limbo on RPG Web Profiler. Also, what Merlin the Tuna said.

SandDemon
2007-09-13, 09:33 PM
try www.thetangledweb.net instead folks

I moved my stuff to rpgwebprofiler.net because tangledweb kept going down. And even then, I need to get my stuff off rpgwebprofiler.net still :smalleek:

Fixer
2007-09-13, 09:35 PM
Until recently, I felt kinda dumb for the amount of time I spent writing sheets into Google Docs and formatting them just the way I liked them...not so much right now :smallbiggrin:.

Do you have those docs in a fashion they can be shared? I would prefer to host my stuff on Google than anywhere else. I have yet to see Google crash for any significant length of time (there was a bit waaaaay back when but that's too old to count).

psychoticbarber
2007-09-13, 09:36 PM
I moved my stuff to rpgwebprofiler.net because tangledweb kept going down. And even then, I need to get my stuff off rpgwebprofiler.net still :smalleek:

I'm telling you, just take the time to write'em into Google Docs or something like that. Better yet, into Word or Wordperfect, and save'em on the computer. Then all you need to access'em is electricity.

kuja.girl
2007-09-14, 09:01 AM
Programs that read XML:
Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
....I recommend Firefox.
When I use Firefox I get code because:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

I believe this will cause problems in any program I try to use... bah.
And now dndonlinegames.com has a scheduled downtime today. Ugh. I think I might start using MSWord or Googledocs again...

Reinboom
2007-09-14, 09:10 AM
When I use Firefox I get code because:

I believe this will cause problems in any program I try to use... bah.
And now dndonlinegames.com has a scheduled downtime today. Ugh. I think I might start using MSWord or Googledocs again...

xml files need a program to direct them in their intent, which pulls information from the tree. If your xml file is from a standard profiler (read: rpgwebprofiler/thetangledweb's/etc.) then you can upload it to any that uses that same program and it'll work just fine - such as the profiler I'm hosting above or thetangledweb's or similar.

FireFox allows you to safely view the contents of the xml file - but not the intended structured product. So you could get your character information from it still.

-edit for read PM-.. heh.. np :smalltongue:

Asmodeus
2007-09-14, 09:23 AM
Yeah, but I switched over my stuff from The Tangled Web because they couldn't keep their server up reliably. Blah.

Let this be a lesson to you non-believers. Always stick with the source.

Tangled Web hasn't gone down in over a month or two now.

Solo
2007-09-14, 09:34 AM
RPGWebprofiler is still down.

Did anyone email them and get a response?

Duke of URL
2007-09-14, 09:39 AM
I emailed the technical contact listed in WHOIS a couple of hours ago, no response yet.

Karsh
2007-09-14, 10:27 AM
Well, except that TangledWeb isn't the source. The "source" was Sylnae's 3E profiler, which went belly-up, but RPG WebProfiler copied every character that was on Sylnae and basically preserved the old data on the new website.

Asmodeus
2007-09-14, 10:32 AM
Well, except that TangledWeb isn't the source. The "source" was Sylnae's 3E profiler, which went belly-up, but RPG WebProfiler copied every character that was on Sylnae and basically preserved the old data on the new website.

Maybe my memory is bad, but I thought it was Tangled Web who copied all of Sylnae's files and saved their profiles?

But the reason that I called it the source is because they have the people who are continuing to develop the profiler software.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-14, 11:07 AM
So does rpgwebprofiler. They just appear to have all wandered off.

"Hasn't gone down for a month or two now". RPGWebProfiler has gone down maybe twice in the last year before this. Which is what makes this especially odd. Did they forget to file something with the IANA or their hosting service, maybe?

Citizen Joe
2007-09-14, 11:16 AM
The odd thing is that someone over in England(?) was/is still able to access it. Which means that the DNS everyone else is using is down. Or that person was mistaken, maybe using a cached instance.

Charity
2007-09-14, 11:31 AM
The odd thing is that someone over in England(?) was/is still able to access it. Which means that the DNS everyone else is using is down. Or that person was mistaken, maybe using a cached instance.

Nope that person (me) is just being a plank... RPGwebprofiler is not what I'm accessing, it's tangled web, it just calls itself that on my favorites. Doh! sorry to mislead you guys, I can't access RPGwebprofiler either.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-14, 11:37 AM
Ah, that explains it. Well, in that case, I think it is truly down and won't be back up for about a week while they figure out what happened. Probably a missed registration thing.

Foucault
2007-09-15, 11:45 AM
I had an idea. I know that the software that is used to read the xml character sheets is downloadable on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/rpgwebprofiler/). Does someone more familiar with xml and other such things know if there's a way to use this without running a whole other server? I just want my Firefox to be able to organize the xml properly.

dsuursoo
2007-09-15, 04:25 PM
still out as of 230 pacific time.

grr. i've got a game here starting monday that all of us involved have been waiting on for months...

is there some way to maybe pull it out of the wayback machine?

update: there is something archived on the wayback machine. i'll post later on what i find.

second update: they seem to have a copy archived as recent as july of this year, so we might get lucky.

really slow tho. pack a lunch.

dsuursoo
2007-09-15, 04:37 PM
the site exists!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/20070711043445/http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/

give that a try. if it doesn't work, http://web.archive.org will get you started on the path.

be aware it's slow. i'm going to cross-post the news where i can.

13_CBS
2007-09-15, 07:15 PM
Good try, but no cigar. You can access the home page but you can't login for your char sheets.

Jensik
2007-09-15, 07:54 PM
Over eight months of hard work, sweat, caffeine, NPC's, templates, spells, and techniques. Now lost in internet limbo.

I think I may cry.

Madmal
2007-09-15, 09:33 PM
I can get into the page, but i can't log in

man...i don't even remember what else i had there...

psychoticbarber
2007-09-15, 09:34 PM
Do you have those docs in a fashion they can be shared? I would prefer to host my stuff on Google than anywhere else. I have yet to see Google crash for any significant length of time (there was a bit waaaaay back when but that's too old to count).

Yes. You can make them public, and you can even make it so that other people (ie, the player) can edit them.

Rejakor
2007-09-16, 06:20 AM
Grr.

I had 45 characters I liked on rpgwebprofiler. It better come back. *waves fist*.

And the instant it comes back I shall save them all on a medium I control.

dps_kane
2007-09-16, 08:03 AM
waargh ... i saved also the background story on rpgwebprofiler - and it's a long story ... i hope the site comes back soon ... :-/

de-trick
2007-09-16, 08:47 AM
im in the same boat as you guy's

my losses

-10 of my sheets at least
-my players sheets in 2 games
-ability to play a new campaign
-my time

Volug
2007-09-16, 08:56 PM
I found this on another thread... (http://web.archive.org/web/20070711043445/http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/)

it is SLOW!! but works none the less.

dsuursoo
2007-09-16, 09:17 PM
heh, i think that came from me... from the look of it. can you confirm the function?

on my own end: it's a no go. the wayback machine doesn't do what we need, because it's private, and can be considered copyright.

Alleine
2007-09-16, 09:28 PM
Man, I'm really glad I only just started using it. Only two sheets on it, one that I have a hardcopy of, and another that was just loose concept.

For the future, it may be tedious but worth it to use several websites, put all your sheets on each so that when one goes down you still have the others. Only problem would be with updating the sheets over, and over, and over....

dsuursoo
2007-09-16, 10:40 PM
download them.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-16, 10:41 PM
From where? The site no longer exists in a way we can access via browser.

Although if someone knew the numerical IP of the server, we could maybe get to it.

LongVin
2007-09-16, 11:17 PM
Can you get that from a Whois search?

I can't find the IP but I found the Dns server which gives me nothing.

http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=rpgwebprofiler&tld=net

dsuursoo
2007-09-17, 01:00 AM
download them when you make/use them, so take care of it when they're back up. sooner or later they'll come back online, so i'll just be patient till then. otherwise, they're not only down, but down hardcore.

Forseti
2007-09-17, 03:06 PM
The site had the ip address 64.38.21.74

Using it directly in the browser doesn't work nor does it work when stuck into the hosts file.

dsuursoo
2007-09-17, 03:49 PM
this is simple truth kiddos.

remember to pay your bills.

this includes your internet hosting bill.

SandDemon
2007-09-17, 10:41 PM
You've got to be kidding me, now "thetangledweb" is down? I just moved my characters :smallfurious:

LongVin
2007-09-17, 11:19 PM
You've got to be kidding me, now "thetangledweb" is down? I just moved my characters :smallfurious:

Probably from everyone moving their characters.

Solo
2007-09-17, 11:39 PM
Its like a trainwreck...

Karsh
2007-09-17, 11:42 PM
Maybe WotC is on some stealth Cease and Desist crusade to block people from distributing OGL now?

Jack Mann
2007-09-17, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty sure d20srd.org would be the first to go. 'Sides, Wizards couldn't blockade OGL material. They wouldn't want to if they could.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-18, 12:27 AM
Yeah...why on Earth would they want to block OGL-based sites, let alone be contractually able to?

Seffbasilisk
2007-09-18, 12:31 AM
A thousand curses!

I'm actually not sure the number of games i'm in, the number is in constant flux, but I'd place it in the 6-8 games category. Unfortunatly, only one sheet is on thetangledweb, as I place almost exclusivly on rpgwebprofiler. Sad thing is, I was actually planning on switching that one sheet over as well....

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 12:50 AM
hm. wonder what started all this?

Asmodeus
2007-09-18, 08:19 AM

TTW got hacked. They are restoring things now, but it will take a bit. try again later today.

Reinboom
2007-09-18, 08:30 AM
Man, I'm really glad I only just started using it. Only two sheets on it, one that I have a hardcopy of, and another that was just loose concept.

For the future, it may be tedious but worth it to use several websites, put all your sheets on each so that when one goes down you still have the others. Only problem would be with updating the sheets over, and over, and over....

Just save it to one and keep backing it up to your PC. Then back those up somewhere if you're paranoid. Much less of a hassle than logging and uploading through sites - and it saves on the webmaster's bandwidth bill.

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 08:39 AM
well, according to opendns, rpgweb has had some sort of server failures.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-18, 09:33 AM
Wow, there's Karma. I can't get a connection at Google right now. I can't even check my freakin' email.

Reinboom
2007-09-18, 09:35 AM
Wow, there's Karma. I can't get a connection at Google right now. I can't even check my freakin' email.

There has been numerous servers that have dropped connections recently for north america.
Use daveproxy.co.uk to access google.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-18, 09:39 AM
There has been numerous servers that have dropped connections recently for north america.

It doesn't like the non-secure server. Edit: But thanks :smallsmile:

Solo
2007-09-18, 09:41 AM

Al Quaeda's latest cyber terrorism attack has left millions of nerds in panic....

psychoticbarber
2007-09-18, 09:42 AM
Al Quaeda's latest cyber terrorism attack has left millions of nerds in panic....

I'd be less frustrated if I didn't use Gmail.

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 10:05 AM
hm. wonder if a region's gone down?

psychoticbarber
2007-09-18, 10:13 AM
Even better, "Myeconlab" (a site for my Economics class) has gone down. I have a quiz due today, and I can't access the freakin' site.

wingover gimble
2007-09-18, 09:51 PM
i have the solution fellow nerds. it was a simple system upgrade who was the main villain here. but never fear i have the old one to log into and use your characters! it works for me so it should work for you.
may wingover be with you
http://profiler.thetangledweb.net/login.php

Asmodeus
2007-09-18, 10:06 PM
i have the solution fellow nerds. it was a simple system upgrade who was the main villain here. but never fear i have the old one to log into and use your characters! it works for me so it should work for you.
may wingover be with you
http://profiler.thetangledweb.net/login.php

Just to be sure we are clear, that is only good for the people who thought The Tangled Web had died. RPGProfiler is still AWOL.

SandDemon
2007-09-18, 10:15 PM
Not really, lost a day of data.....but least it's up now.

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 11:05 PM
Not really, lost a day of data.....but least it's up now.

still offline here in seattle.

criminy, this is getting silly. going on what, week and some now?

Jack Mann
2007-09-19, 07:41 AM
Just to be sure we are clear, that is only good for the people who thought The Tangled Web had died. RPGProfiler is still AWOL.

Actually, that does have the RPGWebprofiler data... from some time ago. Sadly, it doesn't have any of my more recent characters, so it's not a whole lot of use to me.

dsuursoo
2007-09-19, 08:55 AM
yeah, i'd say it's a bit more than a day of data lost... it doesn't remember me at all.

de-trick
2007-09-19, 04:34 PM
i checked it doesnt have my acount on it's memory

dsuursoo
2007-09-19, 05:15 PM
heads up guys, looks like rpgwebprofiler is offline.

i got this email from the guys at the tangled web.

We have no affiliation with the folks over at rpgwebprofiler.net other
then we use the profiler software. I have actualy spoken with them to
see if we can get their Database, so all of their users can transfer
over to our site since they are no longer hosting their profiler. But
until that happens the profiles you had stored on their site are not
accessible though ours. You are however more then welcome to create an
account here and recreate your character profiles

guess that sums it up.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-19, 05:27 PM
Should we take that email to mean that the rpgwebprofiler guys aren't bringing their profiler back online?

de-trick
2007-09-19, 05:52 PM
kind of a kick in the balls, find a campaign, decide what to play, spend enough time on a character and then they cut it off with no warning

dsuursoo
2007-09-19, 06:09 PM
Should we take that email to mean that the rpgwebprofiler guys aren't bringing their profiler back online?

i think so. like he said, they're working on bringing the database over, but no word on progress on that. so who knows?

Jensik
2007-09-19, 07:31 PM
Thats really crappy of them to just up and leave without warning.

dsuursoo
2007-09-19, 07:59 PM
well, as i heard it from the fellow at tangledweb...

From what I have been told, the people running rpgweprofiler.net owned
their own hosting company, which has now gone out of buisness. I have
not gotten ahold of the lead developer yet to confirm this but thats
what one of their devs told me.

so i guess that explains it. sucky but oh well.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-19, 08:07 PM
Man what.

Okay, going out of business happens, but for god's sake, give your customers some warning when you're about to go offline. Anything else is unprofessional.

Fortunately, we know the database is still there in this case, and hopefully the tangledweb folks will be able to acquire it...don't see why they wouldn't...

Duvik
2007-09-19, 10:16 PM
Hi guys, i'm one of the admins over at www.thetangledweb.net and figured I'd let you all know what is going on with our own profiler and the rpgwebprofiler.

RPGwebprofiler is gone. The folks who were on the dev team also ran Jatol, a hosting company that is now seemingly extinct. Not only is the profiler gone, but so are the accounts of hundreds of customers they had.

We're trying to contact Tarlen or one of the devs to get the old database and host it on TW so that you all can get your sheets transfered out.

i wouldn't hold my breathe on that though.

So far as our own past with downtime... as was stated before, we got hacked. Someone was running a bot and fileserver through us and we just recently discovered it.

We've since wiped everything, restored what was important, and upgraded all of our forums and profiler code.

Our profiler is now a total rewrite of the old and works much better. It has a few new features and most all the custom sheets that are spread around. We'll also be adding a sheet for Kenzercos latest RPG, Aces and Eights here soon.

You are welcome to come on over and use our profiler as it isn't going anywhere. i promised that it'd stay up for a good long time a while back and... you can count on us to stick things through til the end.

We've had some bricks in the road but, we've recently had a few coding gurus join our admin staff and things are perking back up.

Forgive the abrupt background changes... we just had to rush our upgrading due to the discovery of the hack so... we're still finalizing visuals.

I hope to see some new faces over at TW and we'll do what we can so far as getting the old rpgwebprofiler set up on our site. If we do, it will only be set up for you to recover sheets... you'll have to find them a new home at ours or one of the other profilers.

I can confidently say that ours is now the best one out there though.

Digitalxero did a fine job on integrating it with our forums and making it run cleaner.

Anyway, i gotta get to bed... hope this helps clear the air and lets some of you move on without wondering.

Solo
2007-09-19, 11:01 PM
Hi guys, i'm one of the admins over at www.thetangledweb.net and figured I'd let you all know what is going on with our own profiler and the rpgwebprofiler.

RPGwebprofiler is gone. The folks who were on the dev team also ran Jatol, a hosting company that is now seemingly extinct. Not only is the profiler gone, but so are the accounts of hundreds of customers they had.

We're trying to contact Tarlen or one of the devs to get the old database and host it on TW so that you all can get your sheets transfered out.

i wouldn't hold my breathe on that though.

So far as our own past with downtime... as was stated before, we got hacked. Someone was running a bot and fileserver through us and we just recently discovered it.

We've since wiped everything, restored what was important, and upgraded all of our forums and profiler code.

Our profiler is now a total rewrite of the old and works much better. It has a few new features and most all the custom sheets that are spread around. We'll also be adding a sheet for Kenzercos latest RPG, Aces and Eights here soon.

You are welcome to come on over and use our profiler as it isn't going anywhere. i promised that it'd stay up for a good long time a while back and... you can count on us to stick things through til the end.

We've had some bricks in the road but, we've recently had a few coding gurus join our admin staff and things are perking back up.

Forgive the abrupt background changes... we just had to rush our upgrading due to the discovery of the hack so... we're still finalizing visuals.

I hope to see some new faces over at TW and we'll do what we can so far as getting the old rpgwebprofiler set up on our site. If we do, it will only be set up for you to recover sheets... you'll have to find them a new home at ours or one of the other profilers.

I can confidently say that ours is now the best one out there though.

Digitalxero did a fine job on integrating it with our forums and making it run cleaner.

Anyway, i gotta get to bed... hope this helps clear the air and lets some of you move on without wondering.

Thank you, Duvik.

Guess it is time for a moment of silence to rpgwebprofiler, and all my characters.

Now, it is time for us to more on. Amen.

In other news,

REPENT! REPENT ALL YE SINNERS, REPENT!

dsuursoo
2007-09-19, 11:17 PM
thanks for the more informed post, duvik. my info came courtesy of digitalxero, but it wasn't as in depth as you provided.

Justin_Bacon
2007-09-19, 11:27 PM
From now on, I'm downloading every significant character sheet onto my computer.

See, this is why I can't figure out why anyone would ever use Google Docs and similar services.

Put my data at the mercy of someone else's up-time and continued existence as a business? No thanks.

Justin Alexander
http://www.thealexandrian.net

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-19, 11:49 PM
See, this is why I can't figure out why anyone would ever use Google Docs and similar services.

Put my data at the mercy of someone else's up-time and continued existence as a business? No thanks.

Justin Alexander

Trust me, I've learned the folly of my ways after this.

storybookknight
2007-09-19, 11:53 PM
I just use Myth-Weavers. They have a pretty sweet forum over theres.

Roland St. Jude
2007-09-20, 12:32 AM
...You are welcome to come on over and use our profiler as it isn't going anywhere. i promised that it'd stay up for a good long time a while back and... you can count on us to stick things through til the end....

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know what happened and that we can now abandon all hope that it's a temporary outage.

That said, the Tangled Web profiler seems not to be working either. At least I am unable to get it to give me anything other than a "Not Authorised" message. I registered a new account and confirmed it via the link in the email, and I still get the same message when I try to access the new profiler.

Is it just me? Or are you still having some issues in the post-hack recovery process?

dsuursoo
2007-09-20, 01:25 AM
you know your thread's about a subject that's touched a lot of hearts and games when the modslinger himself walks in and leans on the bar.

i've been having issues with getting tangledweb started too, it's kind of strange, really. hopefully the rest smooths out soon. only i can't even make an account.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-20, 01:51 AM
Roland - the old tangledweb profiler still seems to be working, so if you get desperate, you can create a character there (until Nov. 1st), and then export it...

Jannex
2007-09-20, 01:52 AM
That said, the Tangled Web profiler seems not to be working either. At least I am unable to get it to give me anything other than a "Not Authorised" message. I registered a new account and confirmed it via the link in the email, and I still get the same message when I try to access the new profiler.

Is it just me? Or are you still having some issues in the post-hack recovery process?

I registered today (*glances at clock* Well, yesterday, now...), and was running into the same trouble. It started working after a couple of tries, though. I'd suggest trying to log in again, and seeing if it works.

That said, how does one make character sheets there public, so they can be viewed by other people?

Fixer
2007-09-20, 06:14 AM

Justin Alexander

Because by uploading you can allow the GM to see your character sheet at any time without having to constantly send them an update, you can send them a URL.

dps_kane
2007-09-20, 07:03 AM
thanks for information, duvik!

i hope you guys will be able to get the sheets from rpgwebprofiler - there are days of work lost otherwise... :-(

i will start a new sheet at tangledweb now, but ... my character story i won't rewrite. ... pages full of information lost - i could cry...

adanedhel9
2007-09-20, 07:09 AM

I had the same issue, but I was able to get in by following the login link in the upper-right corner of the page. The login fields in the middle of the page don't seem to work.