PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sharpshooter Martial Archetype (PEACH)

Protato
2018-08-07, 03:42 AM
I realized that, while Battlemaster and Champion probably work well enough for it, there isn't really a dedicated mundane Archer subclass for Fighter I've seen that I was into. Let's fix that. Some of what I've written is similar to the Sharpshooter from Unearthed Arcana but I've tried to make it my own, in spite of my relative lack of homebrewing skill.

While many warriors are skilled in archery, some take to it as their calling, not taking the risks associated with wading into melee, and instead take a more methodical approach to their fighting, preferring to attack as far away as possible. Some of their fellow mercenaries scoff at this supposed lack of valour, but the archer's pragmatic approach keeps them alive, and their enemies dead.

Eagle-Eyed: At third level, you gain darkvision out to a range of 30ft. If you already have darkvision from your race, or from another class feature, its range increases by 10ft.

Steady Shot: At third level, you have learned to steady your hand before launching an attack. As a bonus action, once per turn, you may choose to focus your aim and gain advantage on a single ranged attack made during your turn. You also add an extra 30ft. of standard range to your ranged weapon attacks.

Trained Senses: At seventh level, your eyesight has improved dramatically. You gain proficiency in Investigation and Perception. If you already have these skill, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses Investigation or Perception.

Ranged Opportunist: At tenth level, your skills have become so great that loosing an arrow or throwing a dart is like second nature. When an enemy moves 5ft. or more away from your or an allied creature's threat range, you are able to make an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon up to half its standard range as a reaction.

Pierce: At fifteenth level, your attacks can break even mighty guards. For one attack on your turn, you may reroll the damage die and use whichever roll is higher. Additionally, your ranged weapon attacks ignore resistance, and immunity to your ranged weapon attacks becomes resistance instead.

Suppression Volley: At eighteenth level, your ability to accurately hit enemies from a distance has made them afraid of your next attack. When you use your Steady Shot feature, you gain advantage on two attacks per turn. Additionally, if you attack the same target more than once, their movement speed is reduced by 10ft. until the start of your next turn, they are incapable of taking reactions, and they have disadvantage on the next saving throw or ability check they make until the start of your next turn.

Bannan_mantis
2018-08-07, 07:09 AM
I personally would change the 15th level ability, it essentially does a similar effect to GWF but it can be worse at times I mean what if you roll a 4 then get 1 instead. Since it's a 15th level ability I would think just rolling damage die at advantage would be better as it's pretty powerful but at the same time it's a 15th level ability so not too powerful

nickl_2000
2018-08-07, 08:13 AM
Steady Shot: At third level, as a bonus action, once per turn, you may choose to focus your aim and gain advantage on a single ranged attack made during your turn. You also are able to make this attack at long range without disadvantage.

I don't see a single PC using this class that doesn't take sharpshooter, thus making the second piece of this pretty useless. Would you consider modifying it so that it increases your range instead? Maybe multiply the range modifiers by 1.5?

Ranged Opportunist: At tenth level, your skills have become so great that loosing an arrow or throwing a dart is like second nature. When an enemy moves away from an allied creature, you are able to make an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon up to half its standard range as a reaction.

When you say moves away, do you mean moves out of the threat range? Or is it moving more than 5 feet from them? I feel like this need a little bit of fleshing out to make it clearer.

Pierce: At fifteenth level, your attacks can break even mighty guards. You ignore resistance and immunity to damage when making ranged weapon attacks. Additionally, once per turn, you may reroll a damage die made with a ranged weapon attack. You must use the new roll. You can do this for two attacks per turn at eighteenth level.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I like the ignore immunity personally. I feel like ignore resistance and turn immunity to resistance would be more in line with other abilities in the game. You could also directly steal from Elemental Adept and use the any roll of 1 automatically becomes a 2 if you want to avoid extra rolling to keep combat moving.

Your capstone seems underwhelming to me. You can re-roll an attack an extra time per round. It's powerful, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be compared to some of the other things. Another thoughts that could be fun

Called Shot - Your accuracy with ranged weapons has become legendary allowing you to hit wherever you want on the target. As an action you may make a called shot against an opponent aiming for the arms, legs, or head.
Arms - Your arrow pierces their arms/hand/claw giving the opponent disadvantages when attacking with that hand until they spend an action removing the arrow.
Legs - Your arrow sticks into their foot/wing hindering their movement. Until they spend an action removing the arrow, their movement speed is cut in half
Head - You make a mighty shot aimed directly at their head. On hit, your arrow causes massive damage doing 10d8 damage. (note this averages out to be 45 damage in a round. With 4 attacks you are likely averaging 9 damage per attack at 36 total damage per round. So, it's a trade off to do more damage, but at the risk of nothing since you only get one chance to hit instead of 4)

There are likely some balancing issues here, but it gives more options besides rolling an an extra die per round as a capstone.

Fnissalot
2018-08-07, 10:03 AM
I don't think the darkvision fits in a subclass without magic. It does not feel like a mundane change. I would do eagle eyed as it increases the range of attacks, now you have an option of what to do with your bonus action and remove the last part of steady shot (it is still super strong when multiclassed with rogue):
-Marksman: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your bonus action to do one of the following options;
- double the range(short and long) of the next ranged attack this turn.
- you gain advantage on your next ranged attack during this turn.
- you ignore the effects of darkness on your next ranged attack this turn.

The wording of ranged opportunist is a bit wonky, maybe something like:
-Whenever an ally would be able to do an attack of opportunity on a creature which you can see and is within range of your weapon, you can use your reaction to attack it.

How about doing something like the following with the last feature as it plays well with the steady shot:
- Beginning at 15th level, whenever you have advantage on a ranged attack and hit, you may choose one of the following effects before rolling the damage dice. If the attack is a critical hit, you can choose two different effects.

Disarming shot: the creature drops 1 thing it is holding of your choice.
Oppressing shot: the creatures has disadvantage on its next attack.
Ricochet shot: the shot bounces on another creature within 5 feet of the creature hit. It takes damage equal to your proficiency bonus + your dexterity modifier.
Hampering shot: the creatures speed is reduced to 10ft until the start of your next turn.
Reliable shot: when rolling a 1 on a weapon damage dice, add 1d4 to the damage of the attack, it deals the same type of damage as the weapon.
Piercing shot: the creature has -2 AC until the start of your next turn.

Protato
2018-08-07, 10:39 AM
I've edited the class a bit. I didn't remove darkvision because I feel like it can be flavored as your eyesight being so good, you have a limited night vision from it. I made sure it was reduced versus the Gloomstalker's though, as that might step on the toes of that subclass a little too much. For Steady Shot, I thought doubling range or increasing by 1.5x is a bit much, so I put a static +30ft. standard range in there, figuring it wouldn't be too much work but would still be a good increase in range, which was my original intent with the feature anyway. How its supposed to work, for example, is that let's say I'm throwing a Dart for argument's sake. 20/60 becomes 50/60, and not 50/90. I do hope that's clear enough as written. Ranged Opportunist has been rewritten to hopefully make it clearer. It's supposed to work that, if the other person could make an attack of opportunity, you can too up to half the standard range of a weapon attack. If its still too muddy I'll change it. Trained Senses fits with ribbon abilities of Battlemaster and Champion I'd think. Pierce got a bit of a buff, twice per turn at level 15 and you simply use whichever damage is highest. You don't ignore immunity altogether now though, it becomes resistance and you ignore standard resistance. Lastly, I added something called Suppression Volley, basically a suppressive attack that pins the enemy down, and an improvement to Steady Aim. It seems powerful but to be fair, you're level 18 by the time you get it. It might still be too much and I'm willing to change it if need be.

Vogie
2018-08-07, 12:05 PM
I actually think that called shots are not the best option - that can just as easily be processed as a Battlemaster Fighter using superiority dice and choosing maneuvers

Eagle-Eyed: At third level, you gain darkvision out to a range of 30ft. If you already have darkvision from your race, or from another class feature, its range increases by 10ft.
Steady Shot: At third level, you have learned to steady your hand before launching an attack. As a bonus action, once per turn, you may choose to focus your aim and gain advantage on a single ranged attack made during your turn. You also add an extra 30ft. of standard range to your ranged weapon attacks.

I like this. Instead of increasing range, I'd increase give a damage increase, to keep it in line with all of the other Fighter archetype features. This could be a flat amount of damage, a die of damage, increased crit range, something smite-ish, or the like.

Trained Senses: At seventh level, your eyesight has improved dramatically. You gain proficiency in Investigation and Perception. If you already have these skill, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses Investigation or Perception.

That's fine. If you wanted to give a sort of non-magical Hunter's Mark thing here, that would also work.

Ranged Opportunist: At tenth level, your skills have become so great that loosing an arrow or throwing a dart is like second nature. When an enemy moves 5ft. or more away from an allied creature's threat range, you are able to make an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon up to half its standard range as a reaction.

You'll want it to read "When an enemy moves 5ft. or more away from you or an allied creature" otherwise people will argue you are (or are not) allied with yourself

Pierce: At fifteenth level, your attacks can break even mighty guards. For up to two attacks on your turn, you may reroll the damage die and use whichever roll is higher. Additionally, your ranged weapon attacks ignore resistance, and immunity to your ranged weapon attacks becomes resistance instead.

Why up to two attacks? Fighters are the sole class able to attack up to 4 times a turn.

I Like the ability to punch through, but I think you're cutting yourself short. I'd think you'd be able to increase damage in a very Sharpshooter-esque way, by giving -5 to hit but then damage turns Immunity into resistance, then Resistance into Nothing, and Nothing into Vulnerability until end of turn.

Suppression Volley: At eighteenth level, your ability to accurately hit enemies from a distance has made them afraid of your next attack. When you use your Steady Shot feature, you gain advantage on two attacks per turn. Additionally, if you attack the same target more than once, their movement speed is reduced by 10ft. until the start of your next turn, they are incapable of taking reactions, and they have disadvantage on the next saving throw or ability check they make until the start of your next turn.

I'd move the reaction theft into the Ranged Opportunist skill.

If you wanted to make this sexier, I'd increase the Dexterity cap to 22 (so the player can use their level 19 ASI to bump DEX to 22), to further increase the difference from the other archetypes

Protato
2018-08-07, 01:01 PM
How about this, Vogie?

Steady Shot: At third level, you have learned to steady your hand before launching an attack. As a bonus action, once per turn, you may choose to focus your aim and gain advantage on a single ranged attack made during your turn. You also add an extra damage die + half your Proficiency Bonus to this attack.

Trained Senses: At seventh level, your eyesight has improved dramatically. You gain proficiency in Investigation and Perception. If you already have these skill, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses Investigation or Perception. Additionally, you may cast the spell Hunter's Mark once per long rest.

Ranged Opportunist: At tenth level, your skills have become so great that loosing an arrow or throwing a dart is like second nature. When an enemy moves 5ft. or more away from you or an allied creature's threat range, you are able to make an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon up to half its standard range as a reaction. Additionally, your target cannot take reactions until the end of their next turn.

Pierce: At fifteenth level, your attacks can break even mighty guards. For one attack on your turn, you may reroll the damage die and use whichever roll is higher. Additionally, you can reduce the accuracy of your ranged attacks by -5. Doing this allows the attack to bypass immunity and it instead becomes resistance, resistance is ignored, and a target with no resistance is vulnerable.

Suppression Volley: At eighteenth level, your ability to accurately hit enemies from a distance has made them afraid of your next attack. When you use your Steady Shot feature, you gain advantage on two attacks per turn. Additionally, if you attack the same target more than once, their movement speed is reduced by 10ft. until the start of your next turn, and they have disadvantage on the next saving throw or ability check they make until the start of your next turn. You also gain +2 to Dexterity, and your maximum Dexterity score is now 22.

Vogie
2018-08-07, 02:12 PM
Steady Shot: At third level, you have learned to steady your hand before launching an attack. As a bonus action, once per turn, you may choose to focus your aim and gain advantage on a single ranged attack made during your turn. You also add an extra damage die + half your Proficiency Bonus to this attack.

That seems a bit much - that's basically making it a critical hit, with advantage, without trying. Compare that to, say the Brute Fighter's 1d4 to each attack until, like level 10, or the sole 1d8 that most of the hunter archetypes get. Picking a single die would be good. Or actually, just +Proficiency to damage would be fine, as it'll scale with levels better.

Fnissalot
2018-08-07, 03:12 PM
Advantage is already indirectly more damage. The added proficiency + weapon dice + Hunter mark is a lot of damage. I would probably skip hunters mark as well. It was a mundane class earlier, it starts being more like a ranger and it already has plenty of damage. A ribbon with expertise in two of the better skills is already good at level 7.

I like options when playing so I would still make steady shot an option of using your bonus action for either longer range, advantage or bonus damage.