PDA

View Full Version : Tortle teamwork!

Spacehamster
2018-08-07, 07:03 AM
So premise, STR based tortle monk that have two halfling martial classes in his team, he ties them along his arms, holding them out so they can attack his enemies while he kicks them with his unarmed monk attacks, this should by RAW be possible since two halflings should not be that heavy for a 16-20 STR tortle?
Could also glue a gnome wizard to his shell, totally shell-shocking his enemies by being a mobile artillery platform!

Desteplo
2018-08-07, 09:24 AM
halfling are restrained condition though
-wizard doesn’t matter much
-three people tied up including their equipment might set you over. At the very least be hard to start combat with everyone tiring themselves first turn

Spacehamster
2018-08-07, 01:28 PM
-three people tied up including their equipment might set you over. At the very least be hard to start combat with everyone tiring themselves first turn

Well I thought he would have them glued/tied to him all day until rest time, Tortle monk 14, bear totem barb with double carry weight. :) One halfling can take the protection fighting style
and go sword and board and the other one can be a dual wielder or smthn. ^^

GlenSmash!
2018-08-07, 01:38 PM
A Halfling trying to attack while being swung around on somebody's arm seems quite difficult to me. I'd probably call for some ability checks to resolve the uncertainty.

leogobsin
2018-08-07, 01:41 PM
Also to attack on your turn the halflings would need to be holding their actions, so no Extra Attack or bonus action stuff.

username1
2018-08-07, 01:55 PM
I always thought tortlee have bad backs. Also I would count the halflinge as restrained so they couldn't make attacks.

Spacehamster
2018-08-07, 02:13 PM
Also to attack on your turn the halflings would need to be holding their actions, so no Extra Attack or bonus action stuff.

They attack on their own turn, always say they do their turn after the Turtle host body has done its turn. :)

GlenSmash!
2018-08-07, 02:15 PM
They attack on their own turn, always say they do their turn after the Turtle host body has done its turn. :)

Wouldn't that require the Tortle Beating them in initiative, using the Ready action, or a houserule that lets PCs delay their turn?

I know such houserules are common but they are certainly not RAW.

Spacehamster
2018-08-07, 02:28 PM
A Halfling trying to attack while being swung around on somebody's arm seems quite difficult to me. I'd probably call for some ability checks to resolve the uncertainty.

They are not being swung around they are held out zombie style, as I said the Tortle attacks with kicks not punches so they are held perfectly still. :)

Spacehamster
2018-08-07, 02:29 PM
Wouldn't that require the Tortle Beating them in initiative, using the Ready action, or a houserule that lets PCs delay their turn?

I know such houserules are common but they are certainly not RAW.

Well its the rule we go by so its all fine and dandy, thought it were in the rule book even but maybe I remember wrong. :)

Spacehamster
2018-08-07, 02:30 PM
I always thought tortlee have bad backs. Also I would count the halflinge as restrained so they couldn't make attacks.

They are bound over the chest and legs, arms are free so they are not restrained they are held out at the enemies flailing away like 4 extra arms. :)

Quoxis
2018-08-07, 02:35 PM
I haven’t seen the nameless king in a while, i bet there won’t be any cheesy posts like it anymore...

Grod_The_Giant
2018-08-07, 02:35 PM
They are bound over the chest and legs, arms are free so they are not restrained they are held out at the enemies flailing away like 4 extra arms. :)
Besides the comic value, what exact benefit are you hoping to gain here? Even if all rulings are favorable, all you really seem to be doing is squishing your party's entire melee team into a single square.

Spacehamster
2018-08-07, 02:41 PM
Besides the comic value, what exact benefit are you hoping to gain here? Even if all rulings are favorable, all you really seem to be doing is squishing your party's entire melee team into a single square.

Were just a fun idea I wanted to share, obviously I doubt you could get 3 friends to first of all play halflings and gnomes and then be bound or glued to your toon. :P But I guess the boon would be ignoring the slow movement of the halflings and gnoams and
having the sword and board hafling protect the other 3 toons. :)

GlenSmash!
2018-08-07, 03:03 PM
It does have an odd Voltron like appeal to it.

Quoxis
2018-08-07, 03:05 PM
From a RAW perspective:
Glueing someone onto you would have them share your space, which i‘m 99% sure won’t work with a medium and 2-3 small creatures.
Having them on your arms would probably also constitute a grapple, so half movement speed for your tortle.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-07, 03:07 PM
From a RAW perspective:
Glueing someone onto you would have them share your space, which i‘m 99% sure won’t work with a medium and 2-3 small creatures.
Having them on your arms would probably also constitute a grapple, so half movement speed for your tortle.

I wouldn't rule it as a grapple unless the targets of said grapple are unwilling participants, but that's just me.

leogobsin
2018-08-07, 03:56 PM
Probably the best way to run this is treat the tortle as an independent mount, as far as I'm aware there's no actual rules preventing PC from acting as mounts, or one creature acting as a mount for multiple other creatures.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-07, 04:02 PM
Probably the best way to run this is treat the tortle as an independent mount, as far as I'm aware there's no actual rules preventing PC from acting as mounts, or one creature acting as a mount for multiple other creatures.

It's up to the DM to determine what can constitute a mount based on its physical characteristics etc.

Quoxis
2018-08-08, 02:23 AM
It's up to the DM to determine what can constitute a mount based on its physical characteristics etc.

Then again you usually don’t ride a horse tied to its legs, but sitting on its back.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-08, 11:59 AM
Then again you usually don’t ride a horse tied to its legs, but sitting on its back.

Yup, I was thinking more of the halfling is on a tortle's back kinda scenario.

Either way I wouldn't rule the tortle as an effective mount, but that's just me.

xroads
2018-08-08, 01:26 PM

To be honest, if I even allowed this in my campaign I'd probably also treat the tortle as restrained. RAW arguments not withstanding, this would probably break my suspension of disbelief. So I'd want to make it immediately apparent that this wouldn't work.

Spacehamster
2018-08-09, 02:13 AM
To be honest, if I even allowed this in my campaign I'd probably also treat the tortle as restrained. RAW arguments not withstanding, this would probably break my suspension of disbelief. So I'd want to make it immediately apparent that this wouldn't work.

A world where mighty sorcerers bend the fabric of the universe is easier to imagine than halflings tied to a Tortle for some good old fashioned teamwork? :O

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-08-09, 04:04 PM
This is so stupid...

I love it!!! :)

Good job thinking outside the box! The guy who mentioned Voltron is right on.

Derpldorf
2018-08-09, 10:21 PM
Heh, ask a Craftsman to make your tortle a combination backpack/saddle so your gnome wizard can ride in style. Get a whole MasterBlaster thing going on.