PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Robin

Pex
2018-08-07, 11:24 AM
I was watching a nice film with nostalgia and some audience member had to ruin it by cutting onions.

It's not a new story in terms of plot, but it's a fun journey.

Starbuck_II
2018-08-07, 11:59 PM
Eeyore was the best. His deadpan humor had me laughing every scene he was in. MVP by far.

Though, Pooh is second best. I just love how they are exactly like I remember them.

Delicious Taffy
2018-08-08, 01:38 AM
Definitely one of the best films I've seen this year. I'm tempted to see it twice.

Legato Endless
2018-08-10, 09:38 PM
It's...fine? It's nowhere near as good as Disney's last animated effort in 2011, but MacGregor is charming enough, especially when he saves his friends in the log.

Bohandas
2018-08-20, 12:51 PM
Did it remind anyone else of the movie Hook? It seemed to have a similar premise.

Delicious Taffy
2018-08-20, 07:42 PM
Did it remind anyone else of the movie Hook? It seemed to have a similar premise.

It was basically Hook, but with characters people actually care about. No Robin Williams, though, which is admittedly a missed opportunity.

Pex
2018-08-21, 12:02 PM
It was basically Hook, but with characters people actually care about. No Robin Williams, though, which is admittedly a missed opportunity.

Robin Williams wouldn't have been right for the part. We would want him to be funny, and this movie is not a comedy. Ewan McGregor was fine. His star power was probably meant to be an asset, but despite Star Wars he's done too many R rated movies to be convincing as Christopher Robin for me. I kept seeing the actor not the character, though I still liked the movie.

It might be a stunt, but I wonder how the movie would go, considering its plot, if a grown up Harry Potter actor was Christopher Robin. Not Daniel Radcliffe, but Matthew Lewis maybe or even Rupert Grint with a proper hair cut. Tom Felton too I suppose if only not to be playing an antagonist for a change. Different universes of course, but metamovie the audience could relate to a Christopher Robin grown up when remembering the actor as a child.

georgestawn
2018-09-07, 02:02 PM
Is it good? I haven't seen it yet, and I am looking for something nice to watch

Willie the Duck
2018-09-07, 02:22 PM
Is it good? I haven't seen it yet, and I am looking for something nice to watch

And while we're at it, can someone clear something up? On the most recent How Did This Get Made? podcast, Jason Mantzoukas commented that, in the movie, Winnie the Pooh gave Christopher Robin advice on how to please his wife in the bedroom. That was just a rude joke and nothing like that exists in the movie, right (please)? He also made pooh=poo jokes, so I'm not taking it too seriously.

JadedDM
2018-09-07, 04:14 PM
And while we're at it, can someone clear something up? On the most recent How Did This Get Made? podcast, Jason Mantzoukas commented that, in the movie, Winnie the Pooh gave Christopher Robin advice on how to please his wife in the bedroom. That was just a rude joke and nothing like that exists in the movie, right (please)? He also made pooh=poo jokes, so I'm not taking it too seriously.

No, there was nothing like that at all.

Bohandas
2018-09-07, 07:02 PM
I don't remember anything like that either

Delicious Taffy
2018-09-08, 04:52 AM
Winnie the Pooh gave Christopher Robin advice on how to please his wife in the bedroom.
That's some seriously eye-crossing imagery, right there, and it's given me all kinds of YTP material.

But no, that guy was taking the piss. Not just taking it, but performing a full-scale piss heist, complete with a police shootout, car chase, and sewer tunnel escape.

Pex
2018-09-09, 05:57 PM
The movie is wholesome. No grittiness. No trying to be hip. No vulgarity. It's for grown ups like Christopher Robin to remember your childhood.

The one not so serious nitpick I have is lack of continuity. There was a Winnie the Pooh movie where Roo befriends a Hefalump making them not scary monsters anymore. That story is ignored.

JadedDM
2018-09-09, 11:57 PM
The one not so serious nitpick I have is lack of continuity. There was a Winnie the Pooh movie where Roo befriends a Hefalump making them not scary monsters anymore. That story is ignored.

This movie, however, is based on the books, not the movies. The hefalump cartoon was not from the books.

Bohandas
2018-09-10, 02:21 AM
No grittiness.

Well except for the whole thing about Christopher Robin being a possibly shellshocked war veteran, but that's glossed over except for a minute ir so towards the beginning

Bohandas
2018-09-10, 02:31 AM
This movie, however, is based on the books, not the movies. The hefalump cartoon was not from the books.

The not based on the movies is correct, but I wouldn't go as far as to say based on the books, since the Christopher Robin in the books was always based on A.A.Milne's son, and A.A.Milne lived long enough for him and his son to have a decades long falling out with him over how being known as the guy with the children's book character based on him messed him up. So the whole dead father part doesn't fit the spirit of the books.

IIRC that movie in turn ignored several episodes of the TV show