PDA

View Full Version : Optimization fighter/warlock/bard

n00b
2018-08-07, 01:48 PM
I’m looking for some inspiration and mechanical assistance for a potential new character. I generally play non-spellcasters. Different archer and melee builds mostly. This time I still want to be primarily melee focused but I’d like to add some casting to the mix. I do know I’d like to come up with extra attack somewhere, wear heavy armor, and there are some classes that I would like to use, I’m just not sure the best way to go about it. I’d like to use fighter, warlock, and bard.

My initial thought was:

Fighter 1(or 2)/Warlock 5/Bard x, in this scenario I’d take the warlock Pact of the Blade for Thirsting Blade and also Eldritch Smite.

Fighter 1(or 2)/Warlock 1/Bard x, is another option that came to mind. Bard being College of Swords for the extra attack would be the option in this scenario. Also more levels of Warlock could I suppose be taken for more possibilities.

Fighter 5/Warlock 1/Bard x, that’s the last arrangement I can think of that gives me what I’m looking for.

Any of those would fulfill the requirements. Another thing I’d like would be a non-standard race for most Cha builds, for example let’s not do half-elves. We generally roll for stats so I don’t have any yet to give for guidelines so at this point we can just work with standard point buy and with a non-optimal race I’d want to make sure I had a good set of rolls before I built this. I realize I’ll be behind on some casting levels and ASI but I’m really looking for more utility with casting and not worried about getting Wish so much. And our DM and group aren’t huge power gamers so if it’s not completely optimized that’s ok too.

TLDR: Fighter/Warlock/Bard, extra attack and heavy armor requirements, non-traditional races would be preferred. Starting level 8, running to 15. All official published material is ok. UA is DM discretion, so maybe. Not AL.

Thanks.

JeffreyGator
2018-08-07, 02:03 PM
Dragonborn

Ftr (EK 5) Fiend Warlock 2 for invocation (temphp all day and agonizing blast) Bard 1

You will have a bunch of cantrips, but not much more magic beyond shield casting.

Eventually take EK to 7 and continue with more bard (whispers) to 5 and bladepact (to level 5) for lots of smiting options.

If you roll well enough take warcaster at level 4 possibly.

ciarannihill
2018-08-07, 02:10 PM
You can do this a lot of ways, but here's the important break points to keep in mind IMO:

All Fighters get Action Surge at 2, Extra Attack at level 5, and an extra ASI at level 6.
Sword Bard allows you to cast with your sword in hand, gives you a second fighting style, gives you blade flourishes, and gets Extra Attack at level 6.
Hexblade can get Thirsting Blade, functionally Extra Attack at level 5, but you don't have to so it doesn't conflict much.

So I would avoid going Fighter 5+ and Sword Bard 6+ because you have a wasted function that way, but I would use one of them for your Extra Attack option instead of Warlock, freeing up that invocation for something else.

If it was my build entirely?

I'd probably go Fighter 4 (any Archetype works well, but Champion conflicts/overlaps slightly with Hexblade's Curse and EK makes it more MAD, so I'd do Battlemaster), Hexblade Warlock 4 with Pact of the Chain, Sword Bard 12.

As for Race? There are plenty of interesting options... Aasimar, Yuan-Ti, Triton, Dragonborn, etc. Plenty of cool options.

Seems like fun!

krugaan
2018-08-07, 02:24 PM
is heavy armor super necessary? ie re you going to be PAM / GWM'ing it up or doing something else?

Otherwise I'd say pal2 / hex / sword would be preferable for smites.

thoroughlyS
2018-08-07, 09:04 PM
After doing some research and tooling with some concepts, I have some recommendations for your build.

Dragonborn
Fighter 2/Swords Bard 6

STR 16 (14 + 2)
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 16 (14 + 1 + 1)
Feat: Dragon Fear

Dragonborn gives you +2 STR and +1 CHA, in addition to a meager breath weapon. Most importantly you can get a fear option at your first ASI in addition to upping your CHA. Fighter 2 gives you heavy armor and martial weapons, in addition to second wind and action surge. Swords bard gives you short rest inspiration, 3rd-level spells, and extra attack (you can also use your inspiration to fuel blade flourishes).

One more level in fighter gives you manuevers, turning you into the king of short rest resources. After that I recommend straight bard until the end of the campaign. If you ever find your build lacking, a fourth and final level in fighter gives you an ASI to play with.

n00b
2018-08-08, 08:37 AM
Someone pointed me to a build by Treantmonk that was done in his Guide to Everything Xanathar. He has a Hexblade/Swordsbard build that looks a lot like what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions.