PDA

View Full Version : Explosive Kunai

Ranikirn.
2018-08-07, 02:42 PM
Im playing a sort of monk/ninja and i want to create some explosive kunai (line the one in naruto). I think it's possible inscribe an explosive glyph on a paper (about 10cm x 5cm) attached to the kunai (a dart), but im a little confused about the activation: can i activate the glyph when it is away from me about 10feet or so? So i can throw it then let it explode :smallamused:

Oms
2018-08-07, 02:48 PM
There is nothing that can do that as far as I'm aware. The closest thing would be a Glyph of Warding spell, but those explode when they are moved more than 10" away from the place they were inscribed just to avoid this kind of shenanigans.

krugaan
2018-08-07, 02:51 PM
Melf's Minute Meteors is close to what you describe.

Or just go sun soul and call it force kunai or something.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-07, 03:08 PM
The Conjure Volley spell pretty much does this.

Edit: I mean not literally, but the effect is pretty similar. It's pretty much a fireball delivered with an arrow, bolt, or thrown weapon.

krugaan
2018-08-07, 03:21 PM

Edit: I mean not literally, but the effect is pretty similar. It's pretty much a fireball delivered with an arrow, bolt, or thrown weapon.

Yeah, there's a lot of "projectile" spells which could just be reflavored a bit.

You might even consider a 4 Elements Monk chassis (gasp) and have the DM approve some additional "spells" you can cast, reflavored as projectiles.

Magic missile - flurry of kunai
Burning hands - a shotgun of kunai
Chromatic orb - big kunai

The benefit of using 4 elements as a chassis is that it's pretty much guaranteed to be balanced from a gameplay standpoint. If some of the spells are slightly stronger than what 4 elements usually gets, who cares, 4 elements is widely seen as underpowered anyway.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-08-07, 04:35 PM
It'd be pretty easy to create magic items that do this, too. Of course, they'd be pretty rare/expensive so you couldn't use them all the time...

Kunai of Explosions
Weapon (dart), very rare
When this dart strikes a solid surface, be it a creature, object, wall or floor, it explodes with a fiery blast. Each creature within 20 feet of the point of impact must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. The dart is destroyed in the blast.

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-07, 05:14 PM
Or, you know.. the spells Ice Knife ans Lightning Arrow exist. You could ask your DM about possibly getting something inspired by that.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-07, 05:55 PM
Asking your DM for a homebrew of ice knife for an element monk seems like the best course of action. shatter and fireball could also be a decent idea to bring up as well, with appropriate level requirements.

krugaan
2018-08-07, 06:25 PM
Asking your DM for a homebrew of ice knife for an element monk seems like the best course of action. shatter and fireball could also be a decent idea to bring up as well, with appropriate level requirements.

I would avoid lightning bolt and fireball in particular, because they are intentionally overstated for their spell slot cost.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-07, 06:37 PM
I would avoid lightning bolt and fireball in particular, because they are intentionally overstated for their spell slot cost.
You would just need to get them an appropriate cost and level requirement. They can already acquire cone of cold for example.

Rixitichil
2018-08-07, 07:45 PM
A variant of the spell Flame Arrows that only effects darts would seem a valid option.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-08-07, 08:16 PM
I think Ice Knife spell is your best bet. Pretty much exactly what you want except for the damage being cold.

Work with your DM to make something similar

Ranikirn.
2018-08-08, 05:39 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I had not noticed the 10-foot rule that trigger the glyph, so what i wanna do its impossible with this spell. All your suggestions are great, but since I'm not going to multiclass a magic class or choosing elemental monk. I think the best i can do is just to throw some normal dart or some acid vial.

Maybe someone in eberron can create something similar to what i want :smallamused:

It'd be pretty easy to create magic items that do this, too. Of course, they'd be pretty rare/expensive so you couldn't use them all the time...

Kunai of Explosions
Weapon (dart), very rare
When this dart strikes a solid surface, be it a creature, object, wall or floor, it explodes with a fiery blast. Each creature within 20 feet of the point of impact must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. The dart is destroyed in the blast.
Ye that would be great, shouldn't be impossible find something like this in d&d world.

Bahamut7
2018-08-08, 05:15 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I had not noticed the 10-foot rule that trigger the glyph, so what i wanna do its impossible with this spell. All your suggestions are great, but since I'm not going to multiclass a magic class or choosing elemental monk. I think the best i can do is just to throw some normal dart or some acid vial.

Maybe someone in eberron can create something similar to what i want :smallamused:

Ye that would be great, shouldn't be impossible find something like this in d&d world.

If your DM is cool with it, you can always use a variation of something I am working on.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565366-Created-new-Spell-Trap-Card-V2-0&highlight=trap+card

Also, GOW has a 1 hour casting time and the distance limit.

Foxhound438
2018-08-08, 06:17 PM
as an aside to all of this, a dagger has the same range as darts but since it's a melee weapon its damage die will scale with monk level, even when thrown. It's relatively more expensive, but at level 5+ the 1gp per throw is probably fine.

Mellack
2018-08-08, 11:14 PM
You could just refluff alchemist's fire. It seems to be similar to what you want.

Ranikirn.
2018-08-09, 06:53 AM
If your DM is cool with it, you can always use a variation of something I am working on.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565366-Created-new-Spell-Trap-Card-V2-0&highlight=trap+card

Also, GOW has a 1 hour casting time and the distance limit.
I'll ask :smallwink:

as an aside to all of this, a dagger has the same range as darts but since it's a melee weapon its damage die will scale with monk level, even when thrown. It's relatively more expensive, but at level 5+ the 1gp per throw is probably fine.
I didn't think this through, not bad

You could just refluff alchemist's fire. It seems to be similar to what you want.
Could work ye

They are all valid suggestions, I will see which one I can use, thanks :smallsmile:

A Fat Dragon
2018-08-09, 08:20 AM
Sun Soul Monk has been suggested earlier. While it may not seem like anything special, they get an ability where they can, as an action, cause a firey explosion, dealing Fire Damage. This skill has no limit to how many times you can use it (aside from eating up your action), and can easily be refluffed as you throwing an explosive Kunai on the ground.

Talionis
2018-08-09, 09:05 AM

These seem like pretty good options to me. Batman from animated Justice League seems to use a lot of the exploding batarangs, which is another reason to want to emulate this playstyle.

A dip of Ranger for some exploding weapons spells is very doable for a Monk, they have the same prerequisites, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Alchemist Fire isn't awful. I think it may work a little better for Rogues who may add sneak attack, but that's not awful.

The UA Artificier had a cantrip that was like an exploding kunai. I believe there is supposed to be an update to the Artificer that is supposed to supplement the Eberron Campaign setting sometime fairly soon. I am patiently waiting and hoping that this will be an interesting archetype.