PDA

View Full Version : (Character Help) Playing a magic Master Thrower

Lapshaman
2018-08-07, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post and I just wanted to ask a few questions about a character idea I have. Any help would be awesome and I really appreciate it.

I'm building a character for 3.5 game I will soon be participating in. The DM wants us to make creative characters and is having us start at level 10. I want to play a Master Thrower, and have some ideas already fleshed out, but would like some help optimizing it a bit more. What I am currently thinking is to take 9 levels in either Cleric or Wizard and then one level of Master Thrower. The dip into Master Thrower would be for Palm Throw or Doubletoss (I'm not sure which is better, suggestions would be wonderful). As for my equipment, I would have 50 returning spell storing shuriken. Since they are enchanted as ammunition, one stack would be plenty and also within my budget, and since they return, there is no chance of them getting lost. The idea is that every day at dawn, my character gets up and stores all of his spells per day in his shuriken and then tosses them out in the heat of battle. Although I am sacrificing range and flexibility a bit, the idea is that with Palm Throw or Doubletoss, I can cast two spells every turn in combat while keeping all of my materials for the next battle.

So, when it comes down to it, here are my questions:
Should I go for Doubletoss or Palm Throw? (I intend to be dex based)
What feats should I invest in? (and should I play human for the extra feat?)
Are there any cool items that would help me in this build? (A good way to store the shuriken would be helpful)
Are there any other prestige classes that I should look at?
Does this seem viable/is it breaking a rule I don't know about?

Thanks in advance for the help, even if you can only answer one questions, it would be a great help. Any other general suggestions would be awesome too!

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-08, 12:12 AM
Shuriken use the rules for ammunition for some things, including being destroyed when they hit. So making them Returning is a waste of money.
Spell-Storing may not be viable for ranged weapons. It's been debated a lot so you should ask your DM how he rules it.

Doubletoss isn't worth getting - it only works as a standard action so you can't use it in a full attack and the point of being ranged is to get full attacks.

Since Palm Throw doesn't allow Str bonus you'll want to find another source of bonus damage. Throwing 2 shuriken per attack doesn't help much if they only do 1d2 damage.
The War domain and the Holy Warrior feat (CC) help with that.

As for viability you'd probably be better off with a bow - you'd get longer range, Str to damage (and clerics have a lot of strength buffs) and access to enchantments like Seeking and Splitting.
There's also no need to multiclass for that. Cleric archers work just fine single classed.

ViperMagnum357
2018-08-08, 12:14 AM
Unfortunately, Shuriken are explicitly treated as ammunition, so they automatically break when striking a target, and 50% of the time on a miss no matter the enchantment. For that reason, most throwing builds use either daggers or a couple of magic weapons in conjunction with 4 levels of the Bloodstorm Blade PRC from Tome of Battle. Daggers have a handful of of PRC support like Whisper Knife and Invisible Blade, while the Bloodstorm blade allows you to build a competent thrower while enchanting only 1 or 2 weapons.

You can find some ideas here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?174073-3-5-Trapfinding-Dagger-Thrower

EDIT: Ninja'd as usual. Speaking of, getting some precision damage like Sneak Attack or Iaijutsu is a good idea, since you will not have the easy-bake damage multipliers of the various Charger/Power Attack builds.

Lapshaman
2018-08-08, 12:22 AM
DM said we could do spot checks to find ammunition, so I'm going by what they said, sorry for not clarifying that. The idea is not that the shuriken carry the damage, but rather the spells inside them from spell storing deal all the damage. To be able to cast two Flamestrikes, or two Fireballs, or even Black Tentacles + Ice Storm in a turn sounds like a dream to me. I could even get a set of silver shuriken, so they deal 0-1 damage and put heal spells on them to chuck at my party if I go the Cleric route.

I would use daggers, except I can only reasonably afford a few, and if I have too few, then I'll have to spend turns in combat putting spells back into them, and that nullifies the bonus.

ViperMagnum357
2018-08-08, 12:31 AM
...? What other house rules are you using? None of those spells are viable for the Spell Storing quality in a weapon, since they need a target to be used like that. Also note you actually have to deal damage with the weapon for the spell to activate, so a Shuriken that did zero damage to an ally would not trigger a Cure spell or the like.

Lapshaman
2018-08-08, 12:35 AM
Ah, I see, that is exactly what I needed to know. Now I know that this build isn't viable, and I can safely discard it and figure out something else. Thank you for your help. Unless there is some alternative, I'd say the case has been closed.

PunBlake
2018-08-08, 12:16 PM
Since you're talking about Cleric spells and healing (or using other debilitating touch spells) at range, I'd like to point out that Complete Mage's Divine Magician ACF is probably your best bet if you want to go that route. You can use it to add Spectral Hand to your Cleric spell list, along with any other goodies you want to grab from the other spell levels. (Wizard already has access.) A spell slot or two with a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Quicken Spell is worthwhile for when you need to reach out and touch someone.

Since you're starting at level 10 and are encouraged to build something interesting, consider Raptoran (RotW) for always-on EX flight: use the Cleric racial substitutions; dip Fighter 1 (Cleric is favored class so no multiclass penalty) for the ACF to fly while encumbered and access to the Footbow (or other bows); and consider the prestige class Skypledged for more non-Cleric spell access.