PDA

View Full Version : the periodic table of the elementals

kentma57
2007-09-12, 05:28 PM
So we have the four basic elementals but what about the other elements they should not be left out. In style with Red-Cloak's elementals lets make more.

here are the ones I know from the story

titanium: light but strong
magnesium: strong and gets very hot when on fire
clorine: toxic

I am sure there was at least one more 'shrugs' well what rules do you think we could make for the other ones.

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-12, 06:40 PM
How about Uranium?

starwoof
2007-09-12, 06:43 PM
I would have titled this thread 'the periodic table of the elementals'.:smallwink:

Sodium elementals+Water elementals= fun

kentma57
2007-09-12, 06:48 PM
good title do you know if I can change the title (I have seen some recrutement threads that I think have change (ie. DM needed to Full))

starwoof
2007-09-12, 06:49 PM
If you edit the first post then you can change the title of the thread.

kentma57
2007-09-12, 06:51 PM
Thanks starwoof

Ghal Marak
2007-09-12, 06:55 PM
The more radioactive elements should probably have some kind of aura ability. The closer you get to it, the more it affects you.

Possibly, it could have improved chanses of giving you radiation poisoning. I'm sure one of the brilliant people out there can come up with something infinately better than I could, so I'm going to leave it alone. :smallwink:

Mercury would be an awesome golem. Or rather, Quicksilver. Neon Golem? Hmmm... immunity to electricity, but it lights up really bright when hit? :smallbiggrin:

Gygaxphobia
2007-09-12, 07:06 PM
Iodine elementals... the wounds they inflict really sting, but at least they won't get infected...
Flourine elementals... they bite you with really bright white teeth.
Helium elementals can fly.
Xenon elementals can put out fires.
Copper elementals conduct heat and electricity really well.
Gold and Lead elementals are pretty heavy.
Carbon elementals go up in smoke when killed, also very slippery (graphite)
Calcium elementals leave white chalk marks behind

All for sillyness and I highly recommend that you don't use them in games.

jjpickar
2007-09-12, 07:08 PM
The Neon elementals would have a super cool glow when they get excited.

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-12, 07:12 PM
Flourine elementals... they bite you with really bright white teeth.

That's flouride. Flourine is even more poisonous than chlorine. Flourinals would be about the deadliest things in existence ^_^

Moff Chumley
2007-09-12, 07:28 PM
It would be very funny to see Redcloak launch a bunch of Uranium elementals at the PCs...

Ghal Marak
2007-09-12, 07:35 PM
Zirconium would have Immunity to Acid, and possibly a weakness to Bludgeon weapons.

Strontium would be hard to make into a Golem, as it degrades upon contact with air, and even more so with water.

Nickel Golems would have some kind of Dazzle attack due to it's highly polished sheen.

Any wounds caused by an Arsenic Golem would poison the recipient of the attack with arsenic poisoning.

Phosphorus Golems would have a Death Throwes ability. They explode upon death, or when attacked with a fire attack. Also, any creature or object in it's explosion radius would instantly catch fire, which does not extinguish when submurged in water.

Vadin
2007-09-12, 07:45 PM
Maybe if you started off grouping elementals in terms of their column (is that period or family?), as those tend to share common characteristics. You know, give them a few common abilities like elements in Column I react violently with water, destroying themselves and dealing HDd6 damage in some radius around them. Things like that and stuff.

Ghal Marak
2007-09-12, 07:50 PM
That would work. Hmm...

EDIT- It's too hard for me to do it like that. Besides, I was just throwing ideas out there. Whoever actualy stats them gets to determine their abilities. :smalltongue:

StickMan
2007-09-12, 08:09 PM
Carbon elementals go up in smoke when killed, also very slippery (graphite)

Actually you may need two different versions of Carbon elementals with a 50% chance to get ether one. Graphite and Diamond are both 100% Carbon.

Balkash
2007-09-12, 08:29 PM
As well, shouldn't a lead elemental have DR/ magic? maybe even magic immunities or an anti-magic field?

Valairn
2007-09-12, 08:56 PM
God forbid a Francium(sp?) or Cesium elemental jumps in a puddle of water.....

Balkash
2007-09-12, 10:13 PM
speaking of which, you figure if we can join certain elementals, we can make new elementals? like instead of just 24 karat gold, like 10 karat gold elemental? stronger, but still very popular among the ladies!

BRC
2007-09-12, 10:14 PM
Francium elementals get electron steal

Cryopyre
2007-09-12, 11:40 PM
Maybe over break I'll organize an entire periodic table of elementals with your help.

I'm a fricken nerd

Cryopyre
2007-09-12, 11:49 PM
For the sake of keeping things easy I say we don't include most inner-transition metals, or anything above 100.

After all those elementals wouldn't last very long.

Collin152
2007-09-12, 11:52 PM
All I know is I want a pet Einsteinium Elemental at my beck and call.

Cryopyre
2007-09-12, 11:59 PM
All I know is I want a pet Einsteinium Elemental at my beck and call.

Why, it isn't that interesting, just will make you sick to approach it and will be hard to lift.

Now a mercury element will be cool!

Oxygen would be interesting, and elemental that boosts you?

NakedCelt
2007-09-13, 02:09 AM
Sulphur elemental: an old word for sulphur is "brimstone". They'd have a Stench ability and maybe some connection to the Nether Planes.

Silver elementals would presumably negate DR/silver with their slam attacks: would iron elementals count as cold iron? And what would happen to elementals of any metal if you cast a chill/heat metal spell on them? Iron elementals would flee in terror from rust monsters...

On a slightly more playable note — the Four Elements come from classical alchemy. The alchemists also had a list of Seven Metals, which corresponded to the Seven "Planets" (that's astrological planets, including the sun and moon) and seven gods; what's more, remember at this time it was believed that the gods from different pantheons were the same basic set of gods, just under different names...

Ah, what the heck. Here's a nice handy table:

Metal Planet God (Roman) God (Greek) God (Norse) God (Saxon)

Gold Sun Apollo/Sol Apollo/Helios Sunni Sunne
Silver Moon Diana/Luna Artemis/Selene Mani Mon
Iron Mars Mars Ares Tyr Tiw
Mercury Mercury Mercury Hermes Odin Woden
Tin Jupiter Jupiter Zeus Thor Thunor
Copper Venus Venus Aphrodite Freyja Freo
Lead Saturn Saturn Kronos [none] [none]

Run your eyes down the Saxon Gods column, skipping over to the Roman God when you get to the bottom line. Remind you of anything?

Anyway, I reckon there should be some kind of Seven Metals elementals, each with the attributes of the corresponding gods — so, for instance, the Tin Elemental can throw lightning bolts, the Copper Elemental is good at charm spells, and so on.

Ghal Marak
2007-09-13, 09:04 AM
You know what I just realized? I've been saying Golem, instead of elemental! :smallsigh: I hate it when I do stupid stuff like that.

boomwolf
2007-09-13, 10:50 AM
hydrogen elemental! a suicide elemental!

GimliFett
2007-09-13, 11:37 AM
Run your eyes down the Saxon Gods column, skipping over to the Roman God when you get to the bottom line. Remind you of anything?

Nicely done, NakedCelt. Happy Thunor to you! :smallbiggrin:

StickMan
2007-09-13, 12:33 PM
You should get the avatar artists to do a picture of all the different elementals for a big periodic table that would be cool.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-13, 12:58 PM
You guys are all talking in crazy scientific language that I don't understand, but I totally want to see a finished periodic table of elementals.

Cryopyre
2007-09-13, 03:28 PM
Sulphur elemental: an old word for sulphur is "brimstone". They'd have a Stench ability and maybe some connection to the Nether Planes.

Silver elementals would presumably negate DR/silver with their slam attacks: would iron elementals count as cold iron? And what would happen to elementals of any metal if you cast a chill/heat metal spell on them? Iron elementals would flee in terror from rust monsters...

For sake of nerdiness, we change rust monster to Oxidation monster, and we have it ruin every metal, except gold, which doesn't oxidize I think

Mewtarthio
2007-09-13, 03:51 PM
So, how are we going to determine HD? HD = atomic number :smalleek:? HD = atomic mass :smallamused:?

Kaelaroth
2007-09-13, 03:57 PM

They have no need. Francium explodes when in contact with any moisture. Sneezing should do it.

So, teleporting about 77777 onto the Stronghold of Poseidon on the Elemental Plane of Water....:smalltongue:

Cryopyre
2007-09-13, 03:58 PM
hell no, probably by groups, but then, the most dangerous would be weaker, and the most stable stronger.

I say we just flesh them out one at a time, no worry for their HD

Vadin
2007-09-13, 05:04 PM
An idea: First, start off with a base elemental stat block. No changes or anything, just HD type, skill points, stats, and the like. Now, based off of those original statistics, apply templates to it. Ah! Hydrogen elemental? Alkali metal template! I can't remember if hydrogens an alkali metal, but I know those are around there somewhere. Now, in that template, have some abilities. A pick and choose list perhaps, like:

Violent Reaction With Water (Ex):
This elemental reacts violently with water, dealing HDd6 damage to all creatures and objects within X feet. DC (10+whatever) reflex save for half damage.

And then place some restrictions on the abilities like VRWW can't be taken with (just an example) Lighter Than Air or Noxious Aura.

Throw in some common stat modifications for columns of elements, and BAM. Build-An-Element! Throw a spell to summon these little beasties, and Chlorine elementals will be the least of your worries! After that, a spell that lets you apply two templates for summoning Compoundals and Ionic Solidals would probably be in order, of course.

If this kept up, most of chemistry could probably be turned into Wizards' playthings...

BisectedBrioche
2007-09-13, 05:27 PM
How about having a system for generating the system for elements rather than working it out for each one.

State of Matter (298 K): This determines the "classical" element the basic stats are derived from. Solid elements are based Earth elementals, liquid on water and gas on air.

Group: Depending on the group make the following changes;
Group 1: -1 to AC per 2 periods, contact with water reduces the duration of the summon by 1 round per 500ml (or reduces its HD by 1) but gives +1 to speed, AC, and attack and damage rolls (max bonus +5, summon reduction unlimited).

Group 2: contact with water reduces the duration of the summon by 1 round per 1000ml (or reduces its HD by 1) but gives +1 to speed, AC, and attack and damage rolls (max bonus +5, summon reduction unlimited), all allies within 30 ft of an elemental (add 10ft for every size catergory increase over medium) gain +1 to AC.

Transision Metals: Add +1 to dexterity and an extra 10ft to base land speed if they take acid damage (may be repeated up to five times)

Group 3: May poison (1d6 con immediate, fort, DC 10 + period) on a successful hit.

Group 4: If four allies surround this elemental (on an adjacent square) each one may use the AC value of the ally with the best AC. If more than four surround the elemental then the allies standing in a square with a face (as opposed to a vertacy) touching the elemental's square get priority.

Group 5: They form strong bonds, increase the duration of their summon by a number of rounds equal to half the element's period.

Group 6: Fire resistance/5, all damage dealt is considered fire damage

Group 7: The area the elemental occupies is treated as a stinking cloud spell, creatures within also take 1d6 acid damage per turn they spend in the same area.

Group 8/0: Treat as etheral creatures (limited ability to react to the material plane)

Radiactive: Radiactive elements last half as long when summoned and cause 1d6 heat damage to any living creature within 10 feet (+10 per size catergory over medium).

Heavy Metal: 1 point of Con damage are dealt to a creature every three times a heavy metal elemental makes a successful hit (as long as the last two hits occured within a week of the first).

Feel free to modify/critique, I'm tired. :smallsigh:

Chronos
2007-09-13, 05:45 PM
And what would happen to elementals of any metal if you cast a chill/heat metal spell on them?Hmm, the spell used to be restricted to ferric metals, but I see they've changed that to any metal. Just as well; now we don't need to decide whether cobalt and nickel count as ferric.

Heavy Metal: 1 point of Con damage are dealt to a creature every three times a heavy metal elemental makes a successful hit (as long as the last two hits occured within a week of the first).I think the heavy metals are actually primarily an Int poison, not Con.

BisectedBrioche
2007-09-13, 05:55 PM
I think the heavy metals are actually primarily an Int poison, not Con.

It varies, some cause lung damage, some cause neuron damage, some are carcinogens. Con damage is a good catch all.

MythMage
2007-09-13, 05:55 PM
They have no need. Francium explodes when in contact with any moisture. Sneezing should do it.
Actually, Francium goes off even in ordinary air, due to water vapor found in it. Only the most arid atmosphere won't set it off.

BisectedBrioche
2007-09-13, 05:58 PM
Actually, Francium goes off even in ordinary air, due to water vapor found in it. Only the most arid atmosphere won't set it off.
I die a little inside everytime someone claims to know how Francium reacts.

Actually Francium has never existed on Earth for more than a fraction of a second before decaying. All instances of this have been artificial and only produced a few atoms.

It makes it a bit hard to see how it reacts with water, m'kay?

Cryopyre
2007-09-13, 07:45 PM
Actually, Francium lasts for quite a few minutes before decaying. Still would be hard to test, also dangerous, but not impossible.

Durendal
2007-09-13, 08:32 PM
Yeah, according to my Chem book and Wikipedia, francium is a naturallly occuring element, though very very rare. Also, its shortest half life (for isotope Fancium 223) is less than 22 minutes, but more than a "fraction of a second."

Drglenn
2007-09-13, 09:22 PM
In the spoiler is the stats for the Group 1 (Alkali Metal) elements, i might get the other ones done at some point in time, i have based them on the stats for earth elementals, I plan to base all the stats for elements that are solid at room temperature on earth elementals, liquids on water elementals and gasses on air elementals
Lithium
Small Elemental (Alkali Metal, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11hp)
Initative: -1
Speed: 20ft (4 Squares)
Armour Class: 17 (+1 Size, -1 Dex, +7 Natural), Touch 10, Flat Footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+0
Attack: Slam +5 Melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: Slam +5 Melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Push
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, Violent Reactions
Saves: Fort +4, Ref -1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 8, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +2
Feats: Power Attack

Sodium
Medium Elemental (Alkali Metal, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30hp)
Armour Class: 18 (-1 Dex, +9 Natural) Touch 9, Flat Footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+8
Attack: Slam +8 Melee (1d8+7)
Full Attack: Slam +5 Melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, Violent Reactions
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +3
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave

Potassium
Large Elemental (Alkali Metal, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 8d8+32 (68hp)
Armour Class: 18 (-1 Size, -1 Dex, +10 Natural) Touch 8, Flat Footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+17
Attack: Slam +12 Melee (2d8+7)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +12 Melee (2d8+7)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/Water Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, Violent Reactions
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +5
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave

Rubidium
Huge Elemental (Alkali Metal, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 16d8+80 (152hp)
Speed: 30ft (6 Squares)
Armour Class: 18 (-2 Size, -1 Dex, +11 Natural) Touch 7, Flat Footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+29
Attack: Slam +19 Melee (2d10+9)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +19 Melee (2d10+9)
Space/Reach: 15ft/15ft
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/Water Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, Violent Reactions
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +4, Will +7
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +10, Spot +9
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Awesome Blow

Caesium
Hit Dice: 21d8+105 (199hp)
Armour Class: 20 (-2 Size, -1 Dex, +13 Natural) Touch 7, Flat Footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+33
Attack: Slam +23 Melee (2d10+10)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +23 Melee (2d10+10)
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/Water Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, Violent Reactions
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +6, Will +9
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +14, Spot +14
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Awesome Blow, Alertness, Improved Sunder

Francium
Hit Dice: 24d8+120 (228hp)
Armour Class: 22 (-2 Size, -1 Dex, +15 Natural) Touch 7, Flat Footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+37
Attack: Slam +27 Melee (2d10+11/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +27 Melee (2d10+11/19-20)
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/Water Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, Violent Reactions
Saves: Fort +19, Ref +7, Will +8
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +29, Spot +29
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Awesome Blow, Alertness, Improved Sunder, Improved Critical (Slam)

Violent Reactions
An Alkali Metal elemental is vulnerable to water and acids, any attacks that deal damage to fire elementals also do damage to alkali metal elementals, if a Alkali Metal elemental is fully submerged into water it will die instantly, if it is doused with water it takes 1d6 damage per pint it is doused with. Alkali Metal elementals that take damage deal the same amount of damage to any creature within twice the reach of the elemental, this includes damage from dousing or submerging in water. A Water Elemental's slam attacks counts as a water attack for the purpose of an Alkali Metal Elemental's damage reduction