PDA

View Full Version : Item thoughts

cartejos
2018-08-08, 06:49 AM
If you were given your entire levels 1-20 wealth by level at level 1 as a payment in advance for a single (very long) mission planned to take you from 1-20;
What class would you play?
What would you buy?
What cheese would you employ?

I had a friend a while ago tell me his dm did something like this, and what jogged my memory about it was reading through a debate about magic item abilities qualifying for prc's (assume for this that they do, even if you dont think they should) and then finding the wild shape amulet in magic of faerun. Tacking on the amulet and master of many forms to any build seems like great fun l for melee.

What would you do?

Kayblis
2018-08-08, 12:03 PM
Level 20 WBL is 880,000 gold. Honestly, you'll have the easiest 12 first levels of your LIFE. As a starter, you can get a mantle(forgot the name) that completely neutralizes nonmagical weapons and allows a DC 15 Reflex save for half damage against magic weapons. You also get +6 items for any relevant stat, +5 to saves and the best magic weapons and armor you can wield. You get flight, invisibility, Freedom of Movement, a lot of special resistances and can make Spell Resistance items not suck major ass for some time. You'll be untouchable by anything other than a nat 20, and will hit most things with ease for huge amounts of damage. You could also wield wands for days with an UMD boosting item, so any great spell of 4th level or lower is available to you(that's the cap for wands; Eternal Wands just have daily uses instead of charges and go up to 3rd level).

It's a proposition that benefits martials way more than casters, because casting is supplemented by WBL while physical combat lives or dies by how much you can spend to increase your combat abilities. Probably an archer would find most use in this setup, because the ability to fly or be invisible is a great boon to them and, unlike casters, you can use your WBL to boost that full attack at low levels to wreck major ass. Rapid Shot + Haste is 3 attacks on level 1. And you get Greater Bracers of Archery. And Hank's Bow.

Looks like a completely unbalanceable game and I love it.

noce
2018-08-08, 01:32 PM
With 880.000 gold, I'd spend a decent amount at disappearing from the one who gave them to me.

I mean, retire to private life, while avoiding any one will ever find you in the place you're going to retire yourself.
Lots of anti-divination stuff, I think.

Plus a couple of coins spent in hp and saves, just so that you don't die of diseases or the like.

Enjoy your new beautiful life.

(I tend to roleplay my characters. I'd never go in a dangerous quest if I already have enough money to live the life of a king.)

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-08, 04:07 PM
I'd probably take it as an opportunity to experiment with just how far wealth alone can take a character with my "You can't kill me" build. Commoner into fortune's friend and survivor, maybe a racial paragon class (or two if I go half-elf). Play it as the summons went to the wrong recipient and I just rolled with it. :smalltongue:

PunBlake
2018-08-08, 04:48 PM
With that much free cash, I'd build a artificer or similar and focus on making the cash go waaaaaaaay further than it should.

unseenmage
2018-08-08, 07:20 PM
Artificer. 8nfinite wealth. We read online that it amounted to a +7 LA.

Been there, done that.

We banned Gate, Miracle, Wish, and Genesis just because. We also limited the PCs to non-epic priced items.

We should have banned Simulacrum, resetting traps, and Spell Clocks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-08, 08:06 PM
I would like to play in this game!

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

I'd probably go refluffed Old Dragonwrought kobold factotum 1/shaper 5/constructor 9/random manifesting PrC 5 (ghostbreaker, maybe?), because it's easily my favorite combo. If gestalt, I'd be tossing in some totemist, as well. I'd have a psicrystal, and I would love him and pet him and squeeze him and hug him. He'd take a Host feat to get a psi-like ability without actually getting any power points, and then he'd start taking a few useful feats, like Mindsight and Lifesense.

I'd definitely start by taking my ol' standby -- an illithid humanoid skin graft turned into a ML8 Words of Creation'd sanctified device psychoactive skin of proteus, with a built-in extradimensional 'possum pouch (acts as a handy haversack with the inner dimensions of an enveloping pit) that is attached to the hands, which act as a pair of gloves of the master strategist so I have my own hammerspace inventory. Then I would spend wealth on further boosting its effective ML a few times. Easily the best item in the game.

After that, I'd get a powerleech sap to refill my power points whenever I ran low by harmlessly smacking my psicrystal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=20249100#post20249100), as well as a few handfuls of aurorum +1 manifester arrows. A specially-modified elvencraft +1 morphing/sizing/skillful/aptitude Hank's energy bow with a complement of useful special abilities. The tooth of Leraje and a few copies thereof. Some aurorum +1 spell storing/power storing dye arrows, from Pathfinder, which won't be useful right away, but they will be. A couple of mirrors of opposition. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) A large number of the cheaper magic rings (such as a ring of sustenance) made from +1 ringsword/morphing/sizing/metalline poison rings. That way I could stack a ton of them together and wear them all, and I could use them as multitools. Looks like a ring on my finger with a fine chain attached, that wraps around my wrist a few times, and each chain link is another ring. Add defending, spell strike, eager, warning, aptitude, and skillful to various rings and other weapons.

I'd get a separate psychoactive skin of proteus for my psicrystal, as well. Maybe a few device scrolls of polymorph any object for a nonmagical way to permanently change my form for an Int boost, as well as a form-change for my psicrystal, as well.

After that, I'd have to see.