PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder deciding on feats for my skeleton

finaldooms
2018-08-08, 06:52 AM
so i posted a while back about my DM giving me a custom skeleton and possibly more of them..well the DM has decided in his infinite wisdom to say i only get 1 and it can only gain 10 lvls of an NPC class ( which is fine really since i had not made the other 4 yet lol)

anyways im most likely going to do all 10 lvls in adept ..OR do 9/1 adept warrior ..havent quite made my mind up

i currently need to pick 2 feats for him though and im not quite sure what to pick..he is most likely going to end up being a crafter of some kind ( and assist my sorcerer with making potions) and shall spend most of his time in the back of the party when we bring him along

so..any advice folks can give would be appreciated

BowStreetRunner
2018-08-08, 08:22 AM
I would be inclined to put item creation feats on the skeleton so that its XP is spent instead of mine - which begs the question: is your DM going to allow the skeleton to gain/spend XP?

finaldooms
2018-08-08, 08:39 AM
Pathfinder doesnt use XP i thought?
And he has given it exp just like a party member so far

Geddy2112
2018-08-08, 09:24 AM
I am guessing your DM is giving your skeleton intelligence, or waiving the rule of "Many undead, however, are mindless and gain no skill points or feats."
With "-" for INT, your skeleton is worthless as a crafter and you are best off making a decent bodyguard out of warrior 10. Even without feats, with decent gear they will be capable of killing low level things easily.

A dip in warrior is good if you want to deck your skeleton out in weapons and armor. With just adept ranks they will be fairly easy picking, even just hiding in the back of combat. Hand it a decent bow and put it in the heaviest armor that won't stomp on its dex bonus and call it good. Adept 9 vs adept 10 is a moot level; I would dip for proficiency. Also getting it in full plate or similar armor that covers it entirely helps hide the fact you are walking around with a skeleton. Just say it is your silent bodyguard/valet.

Brew potion is a decent feat, and access to the adept spell list helps a lot here. I don't know if I would max craft(alchemy) but make it carry an alchemy lab around if you go that route. You really can't beat craft wonderous item for a feat, and having an NPC party crafter is really handy. I would eschew combat feats, even if you give em weapons and armor, this is really just a means of emergency defense should something attack it. A buckler, longbow and one handed melee weapon of choice should do.

Vizzerdrix
2018-08-08, 09:25 AM
EWP Prof- battle poi (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/battle-poi/)

Skill focus Preform- Poi Dancing

BowStreetRunner
2018-08-08, 10:52 AM
Pathfinder doesnt use XP i thought?
And he has given it exp just like a party member so far
I had missed that this was Pathfinder. In that case, it still would be worth having the skeleton take the feat so that you don't have to. You can still provide the spells.

finaldooms
2018-08-08, 11:07 AM
Yes, the dm choose to waive that for the skeleton, and had me roll 4d6b3 for it and just ignore the con roll ( straight down the line which made me sad..i lost an 18 lol) but thanks for the help! So focus on getting him crafting feats and stick some armor on him when i have the funds