PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling Shadow Sorcerer

Ksburt0
2018-08-08, 11:04 AM
I am in the process of building a shadow sorcerer for an upcoming campaign. For RP/story reasons I am choosing a tiefling for the race but have not decided on the variant. I am leaning toward the winged variant for the increased mobility options but am concerned that I will be hamstringing myself by not taking a variant with access to free spells.

This will be a martial campaign that I assume will involve a lot of battles more or less in the open with large numbers of opponents. That's all the more I can give you for campaign info. DM is being cagey.

What do you guys think my best bet would be on tiefling variant? Also would be interested in spell selection thoughts to maximize efficiency of the darkness/hound of ill omen abilities.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-08, 11:15 AM
Being a shadow sorcerer already gives you darkness for free, and you can only see through it when you cast it from sorcery points. So I wouldn't feel to pressed to go for the extra spells.

Hound works with any spells that force a save, especially ones that force multiple saves.

Ksburt0
2018-08-08, 04:45 PM
What about the new lineages in Mordenchainen's? Some of them get access to some fairly potent spells.

Dr. Cliché
2018-08-08, 06:01 PM
Personally, I'd take wings every time. The spells, while decent, aren't anything to write home about (and you'll have a decent amount of your own anyway).

On the other hand, Shadow Sorcerers (unlike Divine and Draconic sorcerers) never get access to wings. Getting a weaker version of their wings at lv1 is pretty damn good.

Also, who wouldn't want to have wings? xD