PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Multiclassing into Hexblade

GigaGuess
2018-08-08, 11:32 AM
So I'm a little unclear as to how Multiclassing into Hexblade works, as the chart seems to assume that I'm starting as a Warlock.

So, as a Bard, will I e required to invest Warlock levels into my Character first, or can I take just one level of Hexblade, and theoretically walk away?

Sorry if this is covered implicitly somewhere in the rulebooks and I'm just not seeing it, and thanks in advance!

Willie the Duck
2018-08-08, 11:38 AM
It's not clear what your question really is. If you are a bard, and are about to level up (and meet the multiclassing requirements for both bard and warlock), you can multiclass into warlock (whereupon, as a first level warlock, you choose your patron, which can be the hexblade one). You get the initial benefits thereof, including medium armor proficiency and ability to use Charisma as your combat stat for one-handed weapons.

Does that answer your question?

GigaGuess
2018-08-08, 11:43 AM
Yes, I believe so. The core of my question is quite simply "Can I just take a Hexblade level, or do I require two Warlock levels before I can reach that?"

(And yes, I have the prerequisites handily. :) )

Willie the Duck
2018-08-08, 11:48 AM
Well, obviously you have to get to over level two (so 300 xp) before you can take your second total level (which would be warlock level one). But you choose your patron at warlock level one. Level 2 is where you get invocations. Is it that you choose your "Pact of___(blade, chain, tome)" at level 3 that is throwing you?

GigaGuess
2018-08-08, 12:35 PM
The thing that's throwing me is I saw a chart (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hexblade_(5e_Subclass)) for Hexblade, and it only starts at Level 3, so that led to some confusion for me.

Arvin Natsuko
2018-08-08, 12:47 PM
The "chart" you put a link to is a homebrewed martial archetype for the Fighter class, based on the Hexblade. There is even an warning on top of the page:

"Design Note: This is a fighter martial archetype. It is not to be confused with the warlock patron found in Xanathar's Guide to Everything."

That's why you are having problems.

Wilb
2018-08-08, 12:47 PM
The thing that's throwing me is I saw a chart (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hexblade_(5e_Subclass)) for Hexblade, and it only starts at Level 3, so that led to some confusion for me.

dandwiki is useless, simply ignore it.

GigaGuess
2018-08-08, 12:48 PM
D'OH! Mother f...

Thanks guys. I'm an idiot who can't read. >_<

Willie the Duck
2018-08-08, 12:59 PM
dandwiki is useless, simply ignore it.

They put in a nice disclaimer "Home of user-generated, homebrew pages!," in tiny little print somewhere on the page, but it would be nice if they had some kind of blinky ribbon or something at the top of page saying, "Warning: this is home-brew material. Do not confuse this with 5e official material!"

GigaGuess
2018-08-08, 01:01 PM
I mean this is true, too.

ciarannihill
2018-08-09, 08:38 AM
They put in a nice disclaimer "Home of user-generated, homebrew pages!," in tiny little print somewhere on the page, but it would be nice if they had some kind of blinky ribbon or something at the top of page saying, "Warning: this is home-brew material. Do not confuse this with 5e official material!"

It's not blinking, but the disclaimer is a large purple banner a the top of the page. I mean it looks sort of like the type of banner ad most people have learned to completely ignore without a second glance, though, so I can understand the confusion.

Willie the Duck
2018-08-09, 09:35 AM
It's not blinking, but the disclaimer is a large purple banner a the top of the page. I mean it looks sort of like the type of banner ad most people have learned to completely ignore without a second glance, though, so I can understand the confusion.

Which is exactly what I did. I was talking about the text to the left.

ciarannihill
2018-08-09, 10:06 AM
Which is exactly what I did. I was talking about the text to the left.

Yeah it's...a poorly designed wiki, lol.
I have absolutely made that mistake before and began reading an article before realizing it was homebrew from the contents.

Segev
2018-08-09, 10:08 AM
Now that that's cleared up, just to finalize asking the question:

Starting as a Bard, if you multiclass to Warlock, you get the benefits in the 5e PHB for multiclassing to Warlock. You also, as a level 1 Warlock, can choose the Hexblade Patron, which gives you all of the powers listed as being granted by that Patron at level 1 of Warlock.

Joe the Rat
2018-08-09, 10:36 AM
To emphasize: Look at page 164 for the proficiencies and Spellcasting notes. Everything else in the Warlock section from "Otherworldly Patron" on is applied.

Yeah it's...a poorly designed wiki, lol.
It's consistently bad on a meta-level.

Asmotherion
2018-08-09, 04:20 PM
I wonder why they let anyone just upload homebrew stuff on that page.

At least when I make an archetype, I try to give it a name of non-existing material in 5e. And double-check if I upload.

MrStabby
2018-08-09, 07:34 PM
I wonder why they let anyone just upload homebrew stuff on that page.

At least when I make an archetype, I try to give it a name of non-existing material in 5e. And double-check if I upload.

To be fair to whoever did that, it may have been before XgtE was released and the Hexblade was just UA. Unlikely to be prior to that just due to hexblade's curse.