PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul or Divine Bard with Warlock?

Deaconjunglist
2018-08-08, 12:45 PM
I'm currently playing a fey-themed Warforged Warlock 6, but I wanted to make more of a caster and I'm getting to soft reboot the character. All of my stats and feats (all Fey Heritage) need to stay the same but the levels can change.

I'm thinking about making a Eldritch disciple and the DM has waived the turn/rebuke requirement (but the levels of FS/DB won't stack), as well as making it single stat casting (charisma).

So I will be taking four levels of either FS or DB and two levels of Warlock (for sense magic). I could really use the skill points (Int is 11) and I like the spells of the Bard, they seem more Fey like. But the favored soul has the HP and saves... Am I missing anything else?

The rest of the party is a ranger who handles all the healing with skill checks, a dragon shaman with little HP, a thri-kreen Monk with no psionics, and a poisondusk Rogue who doesn't use poison. We are super unoptimized so that's not really important.

Troacctid
2018-08-08, 01:18 PM
Taking four levels is for schmucks. You should just take 1 level plus Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell. Or better yet, pick a class other than Favored Soul—it's terrible for theurge builds. The delay on 2nd level spells really hurts. Alternative Cha-based divine casters include Sha'ir, Urban Druid, and Spirit Shaman.

You could also ask if you can use the homebrew prestige class in my signature, which is designed to be a more Warlock-friendly theurge.

noce
2018-08-08, 01:26 PM
You said all of you are unoptimized, so that's not important.
Then pick the class you prefer thematically, in this case Divine Bard.
Also, skill points and bardic knowledge will be of decent use in later levels, too.

For the saves difference, don't bother, bard has only one bad save.

Deaconjunglist
2018-08-08, 01:57 PM
You said all of you are unoptimized, so that's not important.
Then pick the class you prefer thematically, in this case Divine Bard.
Also, skill points and bardic knowledge will be of decent use in later levels, too.

For the saves difference, don't bother, bard has only one bad save.

I'm thinking this way too.

I'm also thinking of trying to fill the gaps in our team but we don't have a cleric, fighter, or wizard so...