PDA

View Full Version : Using different XP tracks. (pathfinder)

shizukanashi
2018-08-08, 06:37 PM
So I am starting a new PATHFINDER campaign for a F2F group. The basic premise is a Drow Kingdom builder set ofcourse in the Underdark. My question goes to the Drow/Drow Noble debate. 3.5 would have me start everybody at 3rd level and impose a -2 CR to anybody who wanted to play the Drow Noble making them LVL 1. In the long run being 3,000XP behind the others though is nothing by 4th level everybody is the same level.

I was kind thinking of using different XP tracks. Standard Drow (14 race points) use the Fast track. Nobles (41 race points) use the Slow track and anybody that wants to build a Drider or something middle of the line can (obviously) use the Med track. This would give the Campaign a sort of old school 2nd edition feel (IE different characters level at different times) has anyone done something like this? Did it work? Pros and Cons? Suggestions?

Crake
2018-08-08, 09:05 PM
Pathfinder doesn't do well in accomodating groups of varying racial strengths. The main issue with what you're trying to do is: while a drow noble is far more powerful at early levels, at the late levels, losing a character level is way more impactful than the drow noble abilities will be. 3.5 combatted that by having LA buyoff as an optional rule, but your method would provide no such method.

I would just say let them all be drow nobles and balance your encounters around that, or, if not all of them want to be nobles, give them something else to compensate, or else just let them be less powerful for the first few levels (as they should be compared to their noble bretheren) until class features surpass racial abilities.

aimlessPolymath
2018-08-08, 09:13 PM
Agreed re: level adjustment.

Alternatively, a minor static bonus of equivalent power granted to the others would function just as well. A noble drow has 27 extra RP, if I read it right- granting the non-nobles 27 RP in assorted benefits over their career- for example, that's just under 7 flexible bonus feats (at the top end of efficient power), or two purchases of Advanced Ability Score (+4) for each of three different stats.

MrSandman
2018-08-09, 02:20 AM
Just give everyone extra RP until they hit 41. Really, it's as simple as that. There are several options that are pretty generic and don't change the race's flavour. The only thing to keep in mind is that you can't have more than 5 traits in any one category.

exelsisxax
2018-08-09, 09:29 AM
Make everyone a drow noble, or make everyone play standard drow(+whatever). Any other answer is wrong. There's no way to balance RP vs XP disparities, different XP tracks have never worked, and there's no reason to attempt this in the first place. Driders aren't PCs, why are you trying to do extra work to allow some people to play a worse race? Make it all equal!