PDA

View Full Version : A Fortune's Friend

cartejos
2018-08-08, 08:22 PM
After reading about the Fortune's Friend PrC, I thought it would be a fun build around. (PunBlake said something about it, thank you)

My first thought about it is that Legacy Champion brings you to 13 levels of it's level based abilities.
+6 Spellcasting Levels, 7 Extra Luck Rolls, and class level bonus to two things 1/day each
Those are the bonuses alongside the ones not affected by the extra legacy champion levels.

The crunch from the Legacy Champion is that your Item of Legacy gets more power. Whether using the item as a weapon, shield, armor, or (preferably) trinket, it does gain a fair bit of power this way.

Entry into the class I think would be something that would benefit from caster levels, but not cringe horribly at the 7 lost caster levels. And for that I turn my eye towards the Mystic Ranger, who only needs 10 levels to unlock their 5th level slots (which happen to be their max). So with 6 Caster levels that means you only need 4 ranger levels, leaving 1 level open for wizard. Why wizard? Well, as many know the answer already, Sword of the Arcane Order.

So Wizard 1/Ranger 4/Fortune's Friend 5/Legacy Champion 10

Feats: Sword of the Arcane Order, a luck or two, a metamagic maybe, I'm not quite sure at all, after I finish writing this post I'm going to be looking through the luck feats and expand my horizons on this build.

As far as race goes, I think Halfling because I believe they are supposed to be the natural lucky ones. Or is that half elf? I can't recall. But if not for flavor, then maybe that cold orc fellow who gets endurance as a bonus feat so you can just trade the Rangers endurance for Sword of the Arcane Order (the trade is either mentioned in the race description or the class description, I can't recall which)

PunBlake
2018-08-09, 01:45 PM
I'm happy to be mentioned. :smallbiggrin:

As far as race goes...

Halfling is fluffed as the "lucky" race (and this is presented as the +1 bonus to all saving throws).
The Luck of Heroes (PGtF) regional feat is the original "lucky" feat (requires human, half-elf, elf, or halfling).

However, for the purposes of Fortune's Friend, the only race I can think of that gives additional luck rerolls is Chaos Gnome (RoS), which at LA +1, gives a 1/d reroll as the Luck Domain power, which explicitly applies to the luck feats because it's based on Luck Domain. I'd only use it with LA buyoff, though.

Cloistered Cleric (with Divine Magician ACF dropping a domain) instead of Wizard/Ranger would get you another Luck Domain reroll, but it's at a cost of -2 to BAB; you'd need to dip something for the missing BAB, though... Barbarian? Crusader? Ranger?

Also, I hope your custom Legacy Weapon uses a Luck Blade (DMG) as its base for another reroll.

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-09, 02:03 PM
There is a first-level maneuver in Tome of battle that allows you to roll two D20 for an attack roll. I think it is in the shadow hand discipline.

There is an ancestor feat for the Scorpion clan in the Dragon number 318 update to the Oriental Adventures 3.0 system that allows 2D 20 to be rolled once per encounter for any check that can only succeed on a natural 20.

Paired with that luck feat that turns a natural one into a natural 20, I hope you are using a pick with its times four critical multiplier, ideally with that luck enhancement that grants an attack reroll, and /or some sort of burst property, and a source of automatic critical confirmation to wreck face once per encounter. Use combat expertise or Power Attack to activate the ancestor feat. Since you are using a pick, you can either get a shield with Shield spikes enchanted with the luck enhancement, or you can swing that bad boy with the two hands to do way more damage with your power attack on a crit.

If you use action points, in Unearthed Arcana There are rules for using 2 action points to reactivate a limited use per day class feature. If allowed, ask if it can apply to the luck domain power. Alternatively, ask if extend Supernatural ability from Tome of magic can extend the luck domain ability, which is a supernatural ability, to two subsequent rolls

cartejos
2018-08-09, 04:22 PM
Cloistered Cleric (with Divine Magician ACF dropping a domain) instead of Wizard/Ranger would get you another Luck Domain reroll, but it's at a cost of -2 to BAB; you'd need to dip something for the missing BAB, though... Barbarian? Crusader? Ranger?

Also, I hope your custom Legacy Weapon uses a Luck Blade (DMG) as its base for another reroll.

I was planning on not using a legacy weapon per say, something that wouldn't be easily sundered is the hope.

Perhaps there's another way to get access to the luck domain? There's a feat that gives a second use of the domain power, but only on the same roll you just used it on. Seems pretty meh on that part.

That chaos gnome definitely seems worth a look.

PunBlake
2018-08-09, 04:52 PM
I was planning on not using a legacy weapon per say, something that wouldn't be easily sundered is the hope.

Perhaps there's another way to get access to the luck domain?

Making a hard-to-sunder weapon is easy; just pay for dwarvencraft adamantine or dwarvencraft starmetal for the base weapon.

The first thing that comes to mind for getting a domain power without Cleric is the feat Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook), which gives a cleric domain power as its base ability. The feat requires Know Planes 8, and you have to (travel to the location and) beat an expert with +18 in an opposed knowledge check, but that's doable.

RNightstalker
2018-08-09, 06:41 PM
It's a fun class to play, though you lose some combat effectiveness...my luck rerolls were the only reason we survived TWO encounters though:smallcool:

If you're going to face any enemies with Vorpal attacks, Advantageous Avoidance is a must, as it's essentially the only defense against such attacks (some monsters have natural vorpal bites/claws, so watch out). The "fact" that fortification armor doesn't stop it is another rant for another post.

My character was CN and mixed Rogue and Wizard spellcasting, prestiging into Arcane Trickster for spellcasting and SA progression. If you have a party member or two that's going over the top, you'll get left behind, and then have fun picking up the pieces when they bite off more than they can chew and your luck rerolls keep you alive:smallbiggrin:

iTreeby
2018-08-10, 01:42 PM
Aurorum is a good special material if you are worried about sundering. It let's you reform the weapon (or item) if it gets broken. Having it enchanted with metaline will let you change it to adamantine while it is whole. This way it is hard to break and easy to remake.