PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Rush while Mounted

kbob
2018-08-09, 09:50 AM
Greeting all! Can you use rhino rush while mounted? Also, along the same train of thought, can you use leap attack while mounted?
Thanks!

Darrin
2018-08-09, 11:02 AM
Can you use rhino rush while mounted?

It depends on what you mean by "use", as there are different ways to use this spell.

If you mean, can my character enjoy the benefits of this spell even if he stays in his saddle, then by strict RAW, no. While you are on a mount, you're not moving, and thus aren't actually using the "Charge" action. Your mount is the creature charging. If you cast rhino's rush on yourself while mounted, you'd have to execute a "fast dismount" (DC 20 Ride check) and then use a full-round action to move at least 10' directly towards your target, etc., as per the typical rules for charging.

If you choose to cast the spell on your mount via your Share Spells ability, either affecting both of you or just the mount as a touch spell, then your mount can take advantage of the spell when they make a charge attack. If your mount can make multiple attacks on a charge (as with Pounce), then it's not explicitly clear if the spell effect applies to all attacks as part of that charge or just the first successful hit. Based on the wording, it sounds like the spell is referring to a singular "hit", so it's likely just double damage on the first hit.

Also, along the same train of thought, can you use leap attack while mounted?

No. Leap Attack specifies "you", so the movement and/or jumping done by your mount doesn't count towards activating Leap Attack.

If you had an extra move action (via hustle, synchronicity, Marshall ability), you could use a "fast dismount" to drop into a square beside/behind your mount, execute a standing 10' long-jump to activate Leap Attack charge, and use a "fast mount" to get back on your mount.

It might also be possible to ride a particularly big mount (huge size or greater) that has a saddle large enough to execute a 10' long jump while still staying on the mount, but you're really stretching pretty far outside the "Spirit of the Rules" territory there.

kbob
2018-08-09, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the insight.
Is it possible for a mount to get leap attack as a feat if it gains HD to eventually obtain feats (i.e. Paladin mount).

ViperMagnum357
2018-08-09, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the insight.
Is it possible for a mount to get leap attack as a feat if it gains HD to eventually obtain feats (i.e. Paladin mount).

As long as a creature is not Mindless (no Intelligence score, like a Vermin) it has Feats: 1, plus 1 per 3 Hit Dice, plus any bonus Feats.

Darrin
2018-08-09, 02:46 PM

Yes, that's possible. You'll probably want to make sure that it has Jump as a "class skill", which isn't always clear when you're dealing with stat blocks in the MM. To take Leap Attack, a mount would need at least 5 HD and 8 skill points.