PDA

View Full Version : Animate object + Pixie Polymorph balance question

Aaedimus
2018-08-09, 11:10 AM
What level would you say animated objects count as? (The spell said they're creatures)

We ended up ruling that it would be level 5 because it's a 5th level spell, but that's wrong and op, and I feel that it would depend on the size of object animated.

Is there any non-subjective material stating the CR of each sized object?

Also, the player who summoned the pixies was a Shepard Druid and created the class area effect with the bear helper after the objects were animated but before they were Polymorphed. I'm guessing the temp HP carries over, but.... again, the amount of Temp HP is dependant on the target's level. So, how much HP is that?

What's funny is we turned animated coins into elephants, but what we were fighting was immune to all non-magical damage lol

lperkins2
2018-08-09, 11:16 AM
The DMG has rules for calculating CR based on combat statistics.
Someone's punched it in online here: https://5etools.com/crcalculator.html

The tiny (flying) animated object is CR 2, without flight, it's CR 1. You can punch in the stats for the other sizes if that matters.

Aaedimus
2018-08-09, 11:31 AM
Ah! Very useful, thank you!
So next time, we'll be turning coins into Giant Constrictor Snakes and Giant Spitting Lizards...

That begs the second question:
We have a calculator for CR, but not level. Would we just assume they're a CR 2 level 1 construct?

CR 2 beasts (wildshapes) vary from level(hd) 4 to level 8.

Times a number HD appears in CR 2 wildshape forms:
4: 2
5: 3
6: 4
7: 4
8: 4

So would you say 6 is a realistic level to apply the temp HP from the Bear Spirit at?

leogobsin
2018-08-09, 11:42 AM
So 'level' specifically means 'levels in character classes'. If something doesn't have levels in a character class, it doesn't have a level. Unlike in other editions, for things other than PCs level =/= hit dice.

Also, the temporary HP from Bear Spirit is dependent on the level of the druid who summons the spirit, not the creatures who are receiving the temporary HP.

Aaedimus
2018-08-09, 12:08 PM
Ah, I assumed you could use HD for a beast's level due to a guide that was specifically advocating Giant Bats for the shepherd druid summon creature, however I just realized that's a different class ability! Thanks for letting me in check lol

Mellack
2018-08-09, 01:22 PM
So 'level' specifically means 'levels in character classes'. If something doesn't have levels in a character class, it doesn't have a level. Unlike in other editions, for things other than PCs level =/= hit dice.

Also, the temporary HP from Bear Spirit is dependent on the level of the druid who summons the spirit, not the creatures who are receiving the temporary HP.

I don't think that is true that it has to be character level. If it did, that would mask it impossible to ever offensively us polymorph against a monster.

lperkins2
2018-08-09, 01:31 PM
I don't think that is true that it has to be character level. If it did, that would mask it impossible to ever offensively us polymorph against a monster.

"The new form can be any beast whose Challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a Challenge rating)."

The default is to use CR, level is only for things without CR.