PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best edition and best class for invisible woman type of character?

Perch
2018-08-09, 11:34 AM
So my group just finished an entire campaign, it was very fun and some of the gorup were huge noobs that now are hooked in the game.

one of them a kind of jock friend of mine was palyign cleric, there were a total of 3 clerics in this campaign a necromancer kind of cleric, the main healer and this guy.

He didn't really know what he was doing but he liked playing suport and buffing the group, until one battle with a dragon where the gorup was saved by the wizard using Prismatic Sphere.

He loved that spell and now wants toc reated a character focused on using energy shields and barries.

I have no idea what he should do, I suggest a protection or sun cleric but he said he wanted to play another class.

I'm thinking about some type of psion becuase he joined us after watching Stranger Things (he got curious about D&D) and is a big Matilda and stephen king fan but I never used them in my games before anyone has any suggestions?

legomaster00156
2018-08-09, 11:39 AM
We need to know what system you are using.

Perch
2018-08-09, 12:24 PM
We need to know what system you are using.

That's the point! I'm open to any edition as long as it can acomodate my players wishes.

Most of the other players are very easy to please this is the only one where I'm in need of help so I can go any way as long as there is a class for this kind of character.

DeTess
2018-08-09, 12:37 PM
Does this need to be dnd? I'm fairly certain mutants and masterminds is made for doing superhero stuff.

Perch
2018-08-09, 01:16 PM
Does this need to be dnd? I'm fairly certain mutants and masterminds is made for doing superhero stuff.

Yes, either D&D or pathfinder.

Rhedyn
2018-08-09, 01:35 PM
Yes, either D&D or pathfinder.
Well there goes my Savage Worlds supers suggestion.

How about a PF aether kineticist?

legomaster00156
2018-08-09, 05:03 PM
Ok, while basic Pathfinder is not ideal, if you want to throw in the Spheres of Power 3rd-party supplement, you could do this with the barriers of the Protection sphere (and if you want invisibility, dabble in the Illusion sphere).

Calthropstu
2018-08-09, 07:16 PM
Lots of spells do this.

Globe of invulnerability and wall of force in particular come to mind.

Given the requirements, I recommend the sorcerer.

vasilidor
2018-08-09, 08:15 PM
I recommend spheres of power, allows for invisibility (basically hide in plain sight), telekinesis and barriers all form level 1, without being overpowered.

Thrudd
2018-08-09, 09:23 PM
"Focused on" using magical barriers is probably not possible in any D&D edition. A character that has the potential to learn a few spells like that? Yes. You probably want a wizard, in any edition. Those are mostly arcane/wizard spells. At low level, you might have the shield spell. Later you get various sphere and shell and wall spells.

Calthropstu
2018-08-09, 11:04 PM
I recommend spheres of power, allows for invisibility (basically hide in plain sight), telekinesis and barriers all form level 1, without being overpowered.

You get all that from a sorcerer as well, and if pf you can get more of it. I don't think SoP gets prismatic sphere ever, which is the spell that prompted this.

Sorcerer with barrier/telekenesis theme:
Lvl 0:
Mage hand.
Presdidigitation.
Mending.
Scoop.
Root.

Lvl1:
Shield.
Mage Armor.
Magic missle.
Hold portal.
Peacebond.
Protection from X.
Stone shield.
Unseen servant.
Floating disc.
Vanish.
Lighten Object.
Sundering Shards.

And that's just the options available at lvl 1. Vanish, sundering shards, mage hand, presdidigitation, mending, root and scoop sounds like a decent starting "invisible woman" theme.

vasilidor
2018-08-10, 01:22 AM
with the spheres of power, the different talent spheres can be expanded upon, and the base abilities scale with level. It is actually rather easy to understand and incorporate into a game. otherwise I would recommend not using DnD, d20 or any of its derivatives, and go for something like fate or fudge.

Pilo
2018-08-10, 02:46 AM
If you are going with D&D 3.5, I recommand the Beguiler class from PHB2. Which is a rogue/illusionist-sorcerer mix.