PDA

View Full Version : Souls in D&D?

Grungmonk
2018-08-09, 12:50 PM
I came across an item, the ring of mind shielding, which stores your soul within it should you die while wearing it. Is there a way to restore your character by transplanting this soul into a living host?

Ninja_Prawn
2018-08-09, 12:56 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I think the general idea is that someone uses revivify, raise dead or resurrection to put you back in your own body.

Vogie
2018-08-09, 01:25 PM
I'd rule that you can store the soul to be used for Reincarnate later, in lieu of a piece of a dead humanoid

Ranikirn.
2018-08-09, 01:32 PM
Reincarnation because this speel need ur soul to be free

dragoeniex
2018-08-09, 11:35 PM
Or you can have it come pre-filled with the soul of a previous wearer and add a brain friend NPC to the story. After all, an inhabiting soul is the only one who can speak with its wearer regardless of the ring's shield or owner's desire. Think of the plot threads! It doesn't even have to be malevolent to be crazy interesting.

With an empty one, the choice to become a brain friend to an existing comrade or maybe your backup character also seems like interaction gold.

Asmotherion
2018-08-10, 04:56 AM
Step 1: Get your party to give your "Ring of Mind Shielding TM" to a "redhair Npc TM". According to some sources, it's slightly more effective than a Tiefling or Warlock Npc (Or, for maximum efficiency, use a Red-Haired Tiefling Warlock who has made a Pact with a Fiend. Can't go wrong with that one.). :P

PS: It's just a non-offensive joke. No intention to insult Redhairs, Tieflings or Warlocks. In fact, I love all of the mentioned, each in a very diferent way (redhair women are sexy, Tiefling women are sexy, and Warlock women are sexy... ok, that was not so different after all :P)

Nifft
2018-08-10, 05:10 AM
The actual soul of any PC is the player who animates and directs the PC's actions.

To transmigrate, the PC simply dies or retires, and a new PC is created with the exact same soul.