PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Usual DM being a player looking for advice on helping the new DM

Icecaster
2018-08-09, 02:11 PM
Okay, so.
I am usually the DM for my d&d group, but one of the players wants to take on the cursed honored mantle and give it a go. Everybody involved agreed that a premade adventure would be a good way for him to build DM skills like improvisation and roleplaying several npcs while taking away the incessant need to plan, replan, and herd the players like hyperactive black cats in a dark room normal, respectable people. If it matters, we are playing fifth edition and are going to be using hoard of the dragon queen.

Now, since I've DMed for them (and several other groups) before, I know it can be demanding even with a premade adventure, so I'd like to be able to help him in any way I can from the other side of the screen. After some brainstorming and half-hearted research, my list includes:

After stating a plan the party intends to use in order to solve a problem, attempt to engage and roleplay in-game in order to give him a moment to think about how to deal with such a plan
Also engage with other players periodically so that he has a moment to read ahead some more
Engage with npcs
Go along with plot hooks, even if it involves suspension of disbelief
Stay on task and attentive, and try to keep other players from distracting the DM or other players (especially with phones)
Don't correct him on rules and let him make his own calls

I think I've got a good base, but I know that there are far wiser people here on the forums and would like to be able to give my friend a good experience for his first time DMing. What other things could I be mindful about to help him? Also, this is only my second or third time in the game as a player so I'm worried I may have bad tendencies, so any other general advice for a DM-turned-player is certainly welcome!

Blymurkla
2018-08-09, 02:26 PM
Perhaps this blog (https://gnomestew.com/game-mastering/gming-advice/stealth-gming/) might be worth a read.

DMThac0
2018-08-09, 02:49 PM
Well...um...strap your helmet on..this is going to be a bumpy ride!

I went and decided to let my fiancee she begged me and gave me those eyes... try her hand at DMing and I've learned a lot since then.

In no particular order:

Don't correct them in game, wait until after the game and give them your input.
--Do not tell them they were wrong unless it's truly black and white, instead give them your take on it and leave it at that.

Do not back seat DM.
--Wait for them to look at you and ask for help.

Try to be the face of the team.
--This will allow you to do the most help, herding the cats for them.

Refer your players to the DM.
--Players will naturally ask you for your ruling/input, you are not the DM it's not your say.

Make sure the first game is a one shot, short-ish, adventure with throw away characters.
--The first game should be the introduction to the seat, where the points don't matter and there are no winners.

Make sure the second game is still a module adventure.
--Many creative types want to homebrew straight out the gate, NO!

-----

I could go on to recount what the process has been like, but in the end it comes down to making sure that you help the new DM become confident. I strongly suggest doing LMoP, Sunless Citadel, or something small and short-ish like that. The first adventure should be nothing more than diving into that cold, cold water and letting the new DM become comfortable there. It's the litmus test to see if it truly is something they want to do. By having "throw away" characters in a shortish adventure, any mistakes or, if they don't want to DM after, won't have characters hanging in the wings.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-08-09, 11:30 PM
Okay, so.
I am usually the DM for my d&d group, but one of the players wants to take on the cursed honored mantle and give it a go. Everybody involved agreed that a premade adventure would be a good way for him to build DM skills like improvisation and roleplaying several npcs while taking away the incessant need to plan, replan, and herd the players like hyperactive black cats in a dark room normal, respectable people. If it matters, we are playing fifth edition and are going to be using hoard of the dragon queen.

Now, since I've DMed for them (and several other groups) before, I know it can be demanding even with a premade adventure, so I'd like to be able to help him in any way I can from the other side of the screen. After some brainstorming and half-hearted research, my list includes:

After stating a plan the party intends to use in order to solve a problem, attempt to engage and roleplay in-game in order to give him a moment to think about how to deal with such a plan
Also engage with other players periodically so that he has a moment to read ahead some more
Engage with npcs
Stay on task and attentive, and try to keep other players from distracting the DM or other players (especially with phones)

I think I've got a good base, but I know that there are far wiser people here on the forums and would like to be able to give my friend a good experience for his first time DMing. What other things could I be mindful about to help him? Also, this is only my second or third time in the game as a player so I'm worried I may have bad tendencies, so any other general advice for a DM-turned-player is certainly welcome!

I'm a newer DM and two of my players almost volunteer to be my assistants.

One guy loves keeping track of everything the party has. I give him some tips like they are the "area 51" black boots. He keeps track of this for me in effect!

The other guy is a walking players hand book. He is ready with the cost of this and that from the equipment page for me. He also keeps track of NPC names. This is helpful because I homebrew some. I can go to his list afterwards.

So, if you did the above for me it would be helpful.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-08-10, 05:40 AM
I usually DM, but got brought into another game as a player, because the DM of that game was getting frustrated at how directionless the PCs were being...

So I'd definitely say that going along with plot hooks no matter how ridiculous is an important service you can provide. Try to lead the other players into the story, if they're dragging their heels. When you've been DMing a while, you can sometimes pick up on subtle signals that the DM is trying to send that other players might miss as well. Like, you can usually tell when they're angling for a particular response. So you can sometimes reduce the fumbling around and confusion that often happens when the DM is being mysterious.

Another thing that you can do is just lean into the roleplay aspect. Ham it up, be the face, play crazily suboptimal characters, feed your own ideas into the story when it seems like the DM is stuck. Having been the DM, you'll have lots of experience playing multiple personalities and trying to figure out how different NPCs respond to things, so it's much easier to then go and do the roleplaying part of the game as a player.

BarbieTheRPG
2018-08-10, 09:44 PM
Engage with npcs

1. Tell him/her to roll with player choices: the dice will decide outcomes. Usually. He/she should be prepared to see any conflict end suddenly ..... or run on unexpectedly. Play along.
2. If you can keep other players focused and in-game, bless you :smallbiggrin:
3. Throw NPC dialogue at players and pray they bite. Odd NPC behavior can lead to fun group experiences.
4. Hooks should have an emotional push that triggers character background behavior. Each scene should matter to
the characters individually.
5. Tell them to shutdown phones & computers. The best GMs command attention and need that for peak
storytelling.
6. The GM is the final word on rules and he/she has to be in order to keep the adventure flowing along. Establish
this pre-game and hold it.

Drache64
2018-08-16, 01:26 PM
My biggest advice: take off your DM hat and put it in a drawer. Don't even bring it to the party. Just enjoy being a player.

DMThac0
2018-08-16, 02:43 PM
My biggest advice: take off your DM hat and put it in a drawer. Don't even bring it to the party. Just enjoy being a player.

Easier said than done, but well worth the attempt!

Drache64
2018-08-16, 03:06 PM
Easier said than done, but well worth the attempt!

I'm in the same boat. I taught my group DnD when they were freshmen in highschool, now they're sophomores in college and I tend to come across high and mighty when innocently offering DM advice. I've noticed it's better for me and the dm when I relax a bit and just let things play out.

It's a better learning experience and the new DM will develop his own style and flare which will be better in the long run for them coming into their own, though it takes time, there will be a few rough sessions.