PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Creating a hime mind

Melcar
2018-08-09, 02:49 PM
Hellow fellow scriberinos...

I have a question about using Rary's Telepathic Bond and Permanency, to create a hive mind with my group of apprentices.

Now I seem to have trouble with the math of how many times I need to cast permanency to get it to work.

I currently have 4 apprentices, but will eventually end up with 7. Now when making Rary's Telepathic Bond permanent it only binds 2 mind together per casting of permanency. If all 5 (Me and 4 apprentices) need to be connected to each other, how many times is that? My own math tells me I have to cast Permanency 20 times (for 4 apprentices), and 56 times (for 7 apprentices), but again I'm unsure if this is correct!

Any help, or guidance will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

MrSandman
2018-08-09, 03:49 PM
Slightly off, it's 10 and 28 respectively. You can check it by drawing 5 and 8 points and draw lines between them until they're all connected. I'm sure there's also some sort of formula, but I'm too tired at the moment to work it out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the formula is p * (p - 1) / 2 where p is the number of people you want to connect telepathically.

HighWater
2018-08-10, 01:33 AM
Slightly off, it's 10 and 28 respectively. You can check it by drawing 5 and 8 points and draw lines between them until they're all connected. I'm sure there's also some sort of formula, but I'm too tired at the moment to work it out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the formula is p * (p - 1) / 2 where p is the number of people you want to connect telepathically.

Actually, it's 10 (for a hive of 5) and 21* (for a hive of 7) respectively. :smallsmile: Edit: But OP was asking about a hive of 8, so 28 is correct...

The provided formula is correct.

MrSandman
2018-08-10, 01:40 AM
Actually, it's 10 (for a hive of 5) and 21* (for a hive of 7) respectively. :smallsmile:

The provided formula is correct.

I though OP meant 7 apprentices? (For a total of eight people counting his character)

HighWater
2018-08-10, 03:38 AM
I though OP meant 7 apprentices? (For a total of eight people counting his character)

Whoops! My correction stands corrected! 28 (for a hive of 8: 7 apprentices and 1 master) it is.
Serves me right for posting in the morning... :mitd:
Added a correction to the post above. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: I thought I'd amend my error by explaining why the numbers and the provided formula are correct.

It is important to remember that Telepathic Bond requires a single link between every pair (the telepathy flows both ways), so that means that if there is a connection from Alpha to Beta, you don't need to add a connection from Beta to Alpha.

Say you have a group of five:
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta and
Epsilon

Let's work through the numbers:
If you want a connection from Alpha to all the others, you need four connections (the total number of people - 1), because Alpha does not need to connect to themselves, but doesn't already have a connection to all the others.
If you then want to add a connection from Beta to all the others, you need only three connections (the total number of people -1 (themselves) AND -1 Alpha, because Alpha is already connected to Beta).
If you continue this for all the members in the group, you get 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 0 = 10 connections required.
If you do the same for a group of 8 people, you need to add 5 + 6 + 7 to the previous result of 10 (which gets you 28).

Now to the formula: The number of people * (the number of people - 1) will get you the OP's result, but "the number of people -1" only applies to the first person to be connected to the others. The last person doesn't need to connect to anyone, as everyone is already connected to them! The second person has one fewer connection to make than the first, while the second to last person has to make one connection more than the last and so forth... The average number of connections per person to be connected is therefore always half of the number of connections the first person needs to make. Hence the /2

=> P * (P-1) / 2 :smallsmile:

Asmotherion
2018-08-11, 06:47 AM
Enough to drain your xp to their level seems like the right answear :P

If you wanna have fun with a hive-mind, may I suggest having a look at Bats and Dark Speech instead? You Grow a Hive-Sorcerer out of it too. Just a ​suggestion.

Nifft
2018-08-11, 06:58 AM
Any help, or guidance will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

You're asking about creating a hime mind, and hime is obviously a type of haircut popular in anime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hime_cut

Mediate on that haircut and you're sure to reach your desired mind-state.

Melcar
2018-08-11, 01:39 PM
You're asking about creating a hime mind, and hime is obviously a type of haircut popular in anime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hime_cut

Mediate on that haircut and you're sure to reach your desired mind-state.

Ha ha ha... that really cracked me up!!! :smallbiggrin:

To all the others, thank you for those answers. That luckelly made that process much cheaper! :smallsmile: