PDA

View Full Version : Free 25000gp item for each member of low level party. Suggestions?

Crichton
2018-08-09, 06:13 PM
Let's say a DM wants to give each member of their low level party one very big free item to be a major boost.

You can choose any one item published in a WotC book, without modifications, customizations, or additions, 25000gp price limit, no weapons or armor, and doesn't count against future WBL.

What do you choose? And what would you suggest as the best item for each class or basic class/role type? (martial, rogueish, clericey, caster, etc)

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-09, 06:15 PM
A CG candle of invocation with three times the uses on it. Or three such candles, more like.

Crichton
2018-08-09, 06:31 PM
A CG candle of invocation with three times the uses on it. Or three such candles, more like.

Thanks for immediately exploiting the limits set in the question.

Can't fault you, I guess. It doesn't break the limits I set.

tyckspoon
2018-08-09, 06:32 PM
Being very, very boring: +5 Vests (because virtually nothing else interesting/important uses this body slot) of Resistance. Never stops being useful, will have a significant impact at low levels of doubling or tripling their save bonuses, saves the DM a lot of time trying to find fancy items for classes with such varying needs as Druids/Rogues/Incarnates/whatever.

Less boring, generally useful: Healing Belt of Battle (ie, a Belt of Battle stapled to a Healing Belt.) Gives some healing self-sufficiency to classes that don't already have it, some backup healing for that 'but wait, what do we do when the Cleric eats the giant crit?' question, and the Belt of Battle effect is wanted by pretty much everybody. Leaves some space in the GP cap, but that's ok - this is good enough to be worth not squeezing out maximum gold efficiency.

For anybody whose biggest combat thing is 'I full attack': Boots of Speed.

Weird but useful things that will eventually drive the DM nuts: Gloves of Object Reading and Third Eye: Sense.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-09, 06:39 PM
Normally, I tend to go for single items with a ton of less expensive yet synergistic abilities all together than really expensive items, like a 'possum pouch that acts like a handy haversack expanded to the size of an enveloping pit, tied to a pair of gloves of the master strategist that shrink, store to, and retrieve from said haversack.

Psychoactive skins of proteus excepted, of course.

Granted, this breaks the rules in the OP, but still.

One Step Two
2018-08-09, 06:56 PM
For a martial type, A Cloak of displacement, Minor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofDisplacementMinor) (24,000gp), makes them hard to hit, and immune to sneak attacks. Otherwise a Magic Siphon (25,000gp) from the Magic Item Compendium to remove adjacent enemy debuffs can be handy too.

For a rogue type, a standard Ring of Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#invisibility) (20,000gp), need I explain why a sneaky person would love one? Otherwise a Ring of X-Ray Vision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#xRayVision) (25,000gp) is awesome for a scout!

For a Cleric type, a single Bead of Karma (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) (20,000gp) can be invaluable in a pinch when you need a CL boost. Otherwise a fully charged wand of Cure Critical Wounds is 22,000gp, which will be useful for a good long while.

For a Wizard type, there's many many things, depending on the campaign and how much ingame bookkeeping there is, a Boccob's Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook) (12,500gp) is almost too good to pass up. Otherwise I love using the Casting Glove (20,000gp) from the Magic Item compendium, you can store potions, scrolls or your spell component pouch!

And for anyone at all, a Luckstone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#stoneofGoodLuckLuckstone) is never a bad pick.

PunBlake
2018-08-09, 07:01 PM
I'd go with an item of <ability> +4 added to an appropriately slotted magic item with a cost of 4500g or less.
I would rather be better at what I want to do than safe with a Vest of Resistance +5 or try to break the game with a higher-priced item.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-09, 07:01 PM
A wand of cure critical wounds is more of an entire party item than just for the cleric. After all, they're all going to be using it, even if the cleric is the only one activating it.

Thurbane
2018-08-09, 07:14 PM
Belt of Magnificence +2 (MH): +2 to all ability scores.

One Step Two
2018-08-09, 07:30 PM
A wand of cure critical wounds is more of an entire party item than just for the cleric. After all, they're all going to be using it, even if the cleric is the only one activating it.

In hindsight, this is true, but it will also free up the Cleric to prepare oddball spells without having to worry about needing to convert them to healing as often.
Another item for Clerics I like is from a module called Key of Destiny based in Dragonlance, it's called a Ring of Grace, For Divine spell casters the ring that offers a +2, +4, or +6 Enhancement bonus to Wisdom for the preparation of spells and the DC's for their spells cast. While it does not affect saves or skill checks, it's slightly cheaper than your standard Periapt of Wisdom at 3,000 gp, 12,000 gp, and 27,000gp respectively. I also rule that it affects your bonus spell slots, but that's me as a GM. Admittedly it's third party, but it's a good way of boosting a cleric without everyone with a low will save insisting they can use the item as well.

Troacctid
2018-08-09, 08:07 PM
25k is exactly enough for +5 equivalent armor if you waive the masterwork cost. I'd be inclined towards a suit of +1 Greater Ethereal Armor, because who doesn't like having 9th level spells at will?

Another cool thing you could get is an intelligent item. For only 2000 gp extra, for example, you can give any item the ability to cast Bless 3/day, which is pretty nifty.

It's also thinking small. Why settle for 50 charges when a Healing Nodules graft (21,000 gp) can give you effectively unlimited charges?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-09, 08:14 PM
It's also thinking small. Why settle for 50 charges when a Healing Nodules graft (21,000 gp) can give you effectively unlimited charges?Yeah, but autocannibalism is gross.

Crichton
2018-08-09, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=Troacctid;23287327]25k is exactly enough for +5 equivalent armor if you waive the masterwork cost. I'd be inclined towards a suit of +1 Greater Ethereal Armor, because who doesn't like having 9th level spells at will?

/QUOTE]

Ok, ya lost me here. Never mind that the rules said no armor, but what's more important is where do I find stats for +1 Greater Ethereal Armor? The only thing I can find even close to that is the Etherealness armor modification, which is a 49000gp addon.

Troacctid
2018-08-09, 09:37 PM
Ok, ya lost me here. Never mind that the rules said no armor, but what's more important is where do I find stats for +1 Greater Ethereal Armor? The only thing I can find even close to that is the Etherealness armor modification, which is a 49000gp addon.
Defenders of the Faith, page 23.

eggynack
2018-08-09, 09:54 PM
For a druid, I'm thinking you'd want a combo ring of the beast/ring of spell-battle. Runs 24,000 GP, which is super close to the limit, and it does two things you really want. I was also thinking about something involving the skin of kaletor, because that item is borked as hell, but other good shoulder items tend to go over limit. I mean, it's still probably worth the price, and it's not like there're no options to combine it with. Just not quite as clean. As a side note, I'm not sure why you have a limit on weapons and armor. Lower tier characters are significantly more likely to avail themselves of those options than high tier ones, and, while weapons and armor could be the best options on those characters sometimes, I doubt they exceed the best options that classes with more juice can get. That ring I just mentioned is super nifty.

Deophaun
2018-08-09, 10:03 PM
Being very, very boring: +5 Vests (because virtually nothing else interesting/important uses this body slot) of Resistance. Never stops being useful...
...until you get access to superior resistance. Then it stops being useful.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-09, 10:11 PM
A bag containing 25,000 gp worth of gold ore chunks.

I would totally be optimizing a Craft skill to refine that. Turn 25,000 gp of ore into 75,000 actual gp.

Crichton
2018-08-09, 10:14 PM
Defenders of the Faith, page 23.

Thanks! My google-fu failed me on that one!

Crichton
2018-08-09, 10:16 PM
As a side note, I'm not sure why you have a limit on weapons and armor.

Thanks for the response, those are some good items!

I chose to exclude weapons and armor because I specifically just want items that provide utility, rather than just 'I can hit way above my weight class' kinda stuff. While there are utility items that do that (especially AC boosting items), I was hoping for some more utility focused items.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-09, 10:36 PM
I chose to exclude weapons and armor because I specifically just want items that provide utility, rather than just 'I can hit way above my weight class' kinda stuff. While there are utility items that do that (especially AC boosting items), I was hoping for some more utility focused items.Weapons can most definitely be utility items. A Fine-sized adamantine or riverine morphing/sizing -2 cursed sword can be turned into a ton of utility items. Like a Colossal quarterstaff can be used to hold up a collapsing ceiling, or to hold a door shut (either through sheer weight or by wedging it between walls behind it). You could also use it as a bridge to bypass a ravine, as needed. Can be turned into a wood axe to chop down a tree, or a dart with a thin, sharp needle to act as a toothpick. A Large chakram with decorative spokes can be substituted for a broken wagon wheel in a pinch. There are lots of musical instruments that double as weapons, such as a grand piano (just look at Looney Tunes). A hammer is a hammer, whether it be used for whacking knights in mail or iron nails.

And since it's a -2 cursed sword, you can never lose it. Best if given to a rogue-type.

Lots of potential, there, especially when you have a good imagination, or at least limited tools. When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail. In this case, literally.

[edit] Note that the cursed enhancement lowers your accuracy, but it prevents the item from being lost or stolen. This means you can use it as a cheap throwing/returning weapon, especially since you can use morphing to turn it into boomerangs or axes or other throwing weapons.

RoboEmperor
2018-08-09, 10:44 PM
Phylactery of Change.

It's one of the only ways of playing a monster race without the debilitating LA.

DeAnno
2018-08-09, 10:51 PM
The Continuous version of the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis is 22k (Tome of Magic pg 156). Definitely one of the stronger options, good for any sneaky type.

A Ring of Greater Counterspells is a 16k item (DMG II, pg 263). It's action efficient and sees some play at higher levels to no-action stop a Greater Dispel Magic (with the first ability) and 1/day immediate counterspell attempt vs a Disjunction (or something else, but seriously, Disjunction). Good for anyone with a full caster level really.

Deophaun
2018-08-10, 12:08 AM
Weapons can most definitely be utility items.
Don't forget dislocating weapons. For when you absolutely positively need that door/statue/boulder/support pillar 30' that way right now. Of course, the limited daily uses makes it more desirable on a disposable arrow. A rusting weapon can likely get rid of just about any metal object (RAW, it only really does anything more than cosmetic damage to armor only, but that's not fun). Binding weapons are nice against teleporters.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-10, 01:24 AM
A Ring of Greater Counterspells is a 16k item (DMG II, pg 263). It's action efficient and sees some play at higher levels to no-action stop a Greater Dispel Magic (with the first ability) and 1/day immediate counterspell attempt vs a Disjunction (or something else, but seriously, Disjunction). Good for anyone with a full caster level really.

It's a trap. For the same price you can buy a normal Ring of Counterspells and a Ring of Spell-Battle which do everything the RoGC does, only the immediate action counter also lets you retarget the spell (plus the extra benefits of the RoSB). Even if you pay the extra 2k to combine the two it's well worth it.

thethird
2018-08-10, 05:28 AM
Presto's Hat of Many Spells, exactly 25k, animated series handbook

Crake
2018-08-10, 07:51 AM
Weapons can most definitely be utility items. A Fine-sized adamantine or riverine morphing/sizing -2 cursed sword can be turned into a ton of utility items. Like a Colossal quarterstaff can be used to hold up a collapsing ceiling, or to hold a door shut (either through sheer weight or by wedging it between walls behind it). You could also use it as a bridge to bypass a ravine, as needed. Can be turned into a wood axe to chop down a tree, or a dart with a thin, sharp needle to act as a toothpick. A Large chakram with decorative spokes can be substituted for a broken wagon wheel in a pinch. There are lots of musical instruments that double as weapons, such as a grand piano (just look at Looney Tunes). A hammer is a hammer, whether it be used for whacking knights in mail or iron nails.

And since it's a -2 cursed sword, you can never lose it. Best if given to a rogue-type.

Lots of potential, there, especially when you have a good imagination, or at least limited tools. When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail. In this case, literally.

[edit] Note that the cursed enhancement lowers your accuracy, but it prevents the item from being lost or stolen. This means you can use it as a cheap throwing/returning weapon, especially since you can use morphing to turn it into boomerangs or axes or other throwing weapons.

I think you're missing the point of a cursed item. If it's cursed, it will manifest in the worst place at the worst time, ruining any attempt to utilize it in any of those ways. What you're describing is an item enchanted to be beneficial, so it would cost significantly more.

Arael666
2018-08-10, 09:06 AM

A bag containing 25,000 gp worth of gold ore chunks.

I would totally be optimizing a Craft skill to refine that. Turn 25,000 gp of ore into 75,000 actual gp.

I get that we're in an online forum where people tend to exploit rules.... but I really want to understand why the imediate response of some people is "how can I get more of what was intended to be given?". It completely defeats the purpose of the question that is being asked and, while it may contribute to the discussion, it clearly doesn't help at all the OP....

eggynack
2018-08-10, 09:19 AM
I think you're missing the point of a cursed item. If it's cursed, it will manifest in the worst place at the worst time, ruining any attempt to utilize it in any of those ways. What you're describing is an item enchanted to be beneficial, so it would cost significantly more.
The cursed sword is a well defined item that does what it says it does. In particular, it is drawn in place of any other weapon you would draw, and it has its stated loss to accuracy and damage. There is no room for ambiguity, where it would do other things that hinder you, or where it would be costed higher for its weird benefits.

Anyway, yeah, there're utility oriented weapons/armor and super boring magic items. I don't see much cause to allow a generic stat booster but not allow a smoking weapon or something.

Edit:
I get that we're in an online forum where people tend to exploit rules.... but I really want to understand why the imediate response of some people is "how can I get more of what was intended to be given?". It completely defeats the purpose of the question that is being asked and, while it may contribute to the discussion, it clearly doesn't help at all the OP....
I don't think this is necessarily useless to the OP. The choice of item is seemingly up to the players to at least some extent, and identifying the fact that what's being given could be borked to all hell is useful information. It's a long way of telling the OP that it would be wise to exercise care.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-10, 09:47 AM
The cursed sword is a well defined item that does what it says it does. In particular, it is drawn in place of any other weapon you would draw, and it has its stated loss to accuracy and damage. There is no room for ambiguity, where it would do other things that hinder you, or where it would be costed higher for its weird benefits.

Anyway, yeah, there're utility oriented weapons/armor and super boring magic items. I don't see much cause to allow a generic stat booster but not allow a smoking weapon or something.

Edit:
I don't think this is necessarily useless to the OP. The choice of item is seemingly up to the players to at least some extent, and identifying the fact that what's being given could be borked to all hell is useful information. It's a long way of telling the OP that it would be wise to exercise care.Took the words right out of my mouth, eggy.

Plus, what about the dust of sneezing and choking? It's a cursed item, but there's nothing stopping you from using it as a weapon against your enemies. Same with most of the other cursed items, in fact.

DeAnno
2018-08-10, 09:51 AM
It's a trap. For the same price you can buy a normal Ring of Counterspells and a Ring of Spell-Battle which do everything the RoGC does, only the immediate action counter also lets you retarget the spell (plus the extra benefits of the RoSB). Even if you pay the extra 2k to combine the two it's well worth it.

You can choose any one item published in a WotC book, without modifications, customizations, or additions, 25000gp price limit, no weapons or armor, and doesn't count against future WBL.

People don't seem to be paying any attention to the OP but it specifies no custom items, which I think likely bans merging effects.

Arael666
2018-08-10, 12:05 PM
I don't think this is necessarily useless to the OP. The choice of item is seemingly up to the players to at least some extent, and identifying the fact that what's being given could be borked to all hell is useful information. It's a long way of telling the OP that it would be wise to exercise care.

I really don't think so. Your previous suggestion of custom magic items actually help the DM with what to expect, he might now be wondering "do I allow the players to get the most out of the 25k by allowing them to make custom magic items or do I want to challenge them with the choice between getting the benefit of the full 25k I'm givving or getting a cheaper magic item that would best suit their need right now?".

Suggesting that someone can use a well know loop to have infinite wealth, or a less known one to triple the ammount of gold the DM intended to give just goes aggainst the whole spirit of whatever the DM is trying to do. Even if the DM is completely oblivious of said "loopholes" that would only result in a "uh..... yeah, NO". It really doesn't help the OP at all.

rrwoods
2018-08-10, 12:17 PM
Being very, very boring: +5 Vests (because virtually nothing else interesting/important uses this body slot) of Resistance. Never stops being useful, will have a significant impact at low levels of doubling or tripling their save bonuses, saves the DM a lot of time trying to find fancy items for classes with such varying needs as Druids/Rogues/Incarnates/whatever.

Rogue’s Vest / Vest of Resistance. Following MIC stacking guidelines, there’s no additional cost to adding resistance bonuses to a vest. +2 will cost a total of 22k and can be improved with further bonuses at normal cost under those same rules.

EDIT: even if you can’t merge items, Rogue’s Vest on its own is a useful item that goes in the vest slot!

Deophaun
2018-08-10, 02:26 PM
Following MIC stacking guidelines
Nitpick: Those are actually rules, not guidelines (custom magic items, meanwhile, are guidelines).

To address this issue, Magic Item Compendium presents official rules for adding common item effects to existing magic items.

Shalist
2018-08-10, 03:57 PM
Any thought on item sets rather than individual items? "Wraith's Woe" (MIC pg 215) is 24k, and has some interesting perks.

Choker of life protection (14k) +2 AC against undead; protection from 3 negative levels/day
Gauntlets of ghost fighting (4k) attacks/spells ignore incorporeal miss chance; +1d6 melee damage against incorporeal creatures
Shirt of wraith stalking (6k) Hide from undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideFromUndead.htm) (very OP, as it specifically denies even intelligent undead the usual saving throw.)

Set benefits:
2 pieces: Detect undead at will.
3 pieces: 1/day cure all your ability damage, plus drain on one ability. (Saves 100g on a restoration (www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restoration.htm))

edit:

Obligatory links:

Bunko's Bargain Basement: Magic Items That Are a Steal!" (from Wizards forum) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445114-quot-Bunko-s-Bargain-Basement-Magic-Items-That-Are-a-Steal!-quot-(from-Wizards-forum))

List of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)

Complete MacGyver (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=8944.0)

Crake
2018-08-11, 04:16 AM

Edit:

Well, at the very least, a -2 cursed sword cannot be enchanted with anything else, as special abilities require at least a +1 bonus, wheras a cursed sword has a -2 bonus, so no sizing, morphing or anything else.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-11, 09:02 AM
Well, at the very least, a -2 cursed sword cannot be enchanted with anything else, as special abilities require at least a +1 bonus, wheras a cursed sword has a -2 bonus, so no sizing, morphing or anything else.If that's your problem, add the curse after it's already enhanced. Or use Persisted greater magic weapon to give it a +3 or greater before you add the other effects.

Deophaun
2018-08-11, 09:24 AM
Or use Persisted greater magic weapon to give it a +3 or greater
Why Persist it? To give a weapon a +3 requires a CL of 12. Greater magic weapon lasts an hour/level. Extend gets you to a full day at that point.

StreamOfTheSky
2018-08-12, 01:14 PM
Let's say a DM wants to give each member of their low level party one very big free item to be a major boost.

What do you choose? And what would you suggest as the best item for each class or basic class/role type? (martial, rogueish, clericey, caster, etc)

Take that, non-casters! :smalleek:

Anyway...

Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (continuous) (22,000): Characters who want to sneak and/or move around a lot
Ring of Evasion (25,000): Anyone w/ good reflex but no evasion currently or expected in the future
Ring of Arcane Might (20,000): +1 arcane CL...so any arcane caster
Ring of Invisibility (20,000): Rogues and other sneaky characters
Cloak of Minor Displacement (24,000): Just about anyone could use constant miss chance. Since it lets one hide at will (concealment), definitely sneaky types especially if they have HiPS
Greater Chausible of Fell Power (18,000): Warlocks
Carpet of Flying (20,000): Anyone w/o flight spells/options already
Greater Metamagic Rod (24,500): Any +0 or +1 metamagic feat; good options would be Sculpt, Extend, Silent, or Energy Substitution (acid or electric); for casters
Rod of Splendor (25,000): Cha-based characters who want luxury

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-08-12, 09:50 PM
Third Eye: Sense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#sense) (also in MIC) should be at the top of the list of the most powerful items within that price range. That allows you to remotely view/listen on a location with effectively unlimited range at will. You can use it to spy on a location nearby, then based on what you can see from there you can use it again to spy on another location, and repeat that as often as you want to observe wherever you want.

A Ring of Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#invisibility) allows you to benefit from Invisibility as the spell at will.

Magic Siphon (MIC), usable 1/day, when activated as a standard action it hits every adjacent creature with a targeted Greater Dispel Magic at cater level 20th.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-12, 10:22 PM
Two phylacteries of change, from the Arms & Equipment guide, 11,200 gp each. Each is less than half of what the maximum amount is, but with the right form, it is friggin' amazing. Polymorph into whatever form you want, which is permanent while it's worn.

7-headed hydra form? Yep. Amazing for martials.

Choker form with Assume Supernatural Ability: Quickness? Now you've got it, and you gain an extra standard action each round. Insane for casters.

Basically, it's a fantastic way to vastly improve one's power and versatility at the cost of the throat slot, with the right form(s). Not a patch on the psychoactive skin of proteus, but it's the next best thing.

Go look at the various polymorph threads around for more details.

Feel free to increase the caster level to increase its versatility. You should be able to get up to at or near 15th level for a full 25,000 gp. ([Edit] It's right at 24,000 gp at CL 15.)

Hell, you could give the whole party 2-3 apiece, and they'd be the most-used items in the whole game, I'm sure.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-13, 01:50 AM
Two phylacteries of change, from the Arms & Equipment guide, 11,200 gp each. Each is less than half of what the maximum amount is, but with the right form, it is friggin' amazing. Polymorph into whatever form you want, which is permanent while it's worn.

Does any DM actually allow that? Let alone voluntarily inflict it on himself?
It's 3.0 content, Polymorph Self doesn't exist anymore. And at-will Polymorph for 11k gp is broken as hell.

Troacctid
2018-08-13, 02:04 AM
It's 3.0 content, Polymorph Self doesn't exist anymore. And at-will Polymorph for 11k gp is broken as hell.
You can get a scroll of polymorph any object for a quarter of that price. 🤷

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-13, 07:36 AM

You can get a scroll of polymorph any object for a quarter of that price. 🤷Not at-will. It's 1/day, but a permanent effect so long as the phylactery is on. Much cheaper than scrolls if you use it for more than 4 days. Which you undoubtedly will.

Also, it's updated to 3.5, so polymorph, not polymorph self.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-13, 08:37 AM
You can get a scroll of polymorph any object for a quarter of that price. 🤷
The difference being that a scroll of PAO lets you get one form, once. And if it's dispelled that's it, which isn't that big a problem with only minimum CL.
Also PAO only really becomes a big problem if you allow the dubious (if not outright illegal) interpretation of "double PAOing", using a non-permanent PAO to make a follow-up PAO permanent.

Not at-will. It's 1/day, but a permanent effect so long as the phylactery is on. Much cheaper than scrolls if you use it for more than 4 days. Which you undoubtedly will.

Also, it's updated to 3.5, so polymorph, not polymorph self.

My point is that it wasn't updated to 3.5. A DM can update it to 3.5 Polymorph, but if he does i'd say he also needs to update the price. The player doesn't get to have it both ways.
Because it's way too cheap for 3.5 Polymorph, so "3.5 Polymorph for 3.0 price" is it's not an item that's available to buy in my campaigns - or any that i've ever played in.

You want 1/day Polymorph that lasts all day? Why, that sounds like a persisted 4th level spell to me. Command Word, CL 7, (10*7*1800) or 126k gp.
Is it on par with constant Mind Blank? Maybe not quite, but it's also not far off and much more versatile. I'd allow it for 100k.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-13, 08:44 AM
Polymorph self is the same level as polymorph. Since the phylactery still only affects the wearer, and you can still only take a single form per use, and it's the exact same effect, why would the price be higher?

[edit]

You want 1/day Polymorph that lasts all day? Why, that sounds like a persisted 4th level spell to me. Command Word, CL 7, (10*7*1800) or 126k gp.
Is it on par with constant Mind Blank? Maybe not quite, but it's also not far off and much more versatile. I'd allow it for 100k.Psychoactive skin of proteus is leagues better than that, and that's less than 85k.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-13, 10:01 AM
Polymorph self is the same level as polymorph. Since the phylactery still only affects the wearer, and you can still only take a single form per use, and it's the exact same effect, why would the price be higher?
Because prices changed between editions. Just look at the prices for some of the things in OA compared to the unofficial 3.5 update.

Psychoactive skin of proteus is leagues better than that, and that's less than 85k.
Good point, i didn't take that into account. But it's not that much better. I'll lower it to ~60k. Maybe as little as 40k if i'm feeling generous, but 11,2k is way too cheap.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-13, 10:08 AM
Because prices changed between editions. Just look at the prices for some of the things in OA compared to the unofficial 3.5 update.

Good point, i didn't take that into account. But it's not that much better. I'll lower it to ~60k. Maybe as little as 40k if i'm feeling generous, but 11,2k is way too cheap.The skin is usable at will instead of 1/day (which is a VAST improvement, all on its own; way more than the normal x5 price multiplier would make it seem), can be used to turn the wearer into objects, can be used on things that aren't alive (and can turn undead and construct things into other undead or construct things), and doesn't take up a standard item slot.

It's WAY better.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-13, 10:29 AM
The skin is usable at will instead of 1/day (which is a VAST improvement, all on its own; way more than the normal x5 price multiplier would make it seem), can be used to turn the wearer into objects, can be used on things that aren't alive (and can turn undead and construct things into other undead or construct things), and doesn't take up a standard item slot.

It's WAY better.

And yet the main use would still be for the same purpose as the Polymorph item. The turning into objects and affecting non-living things are relatively minor boni and we both know it.
And the main benefit of both is the "all day" duration. Sure, changing forms in-between is great, i'm not disputing that. But not having it isn't worth a 80% price reduction.
Your 1/day Polymorph item doesn't cast Polymorph 1/day, it still has the all-day duration. That ups the price considerably.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-13, 10:32 AM
And yet the main use would still be for the same purpose as the Polymorph item. The turning into objects and affecting non-living things are relatively minor boni bonuses and we both know it.
And the main benefit of both is the "all day" duration. Sure, changing forms in-between is great, i'm not disputing that. But not having it isn't worth a 80% price reduction.
Your 1/day Polymorph item doesn't cast Polymorph 1/day, it still has the all-day duration. That ups the price considerably.Just as it would with the at-will, all-day duration skin. The cost should scale accordingly.

Note that, as mentioned previously, a scroll of polymorph any object would be FAR cheaper, and yet it could also be permanent.

Fizban
2018-08-13, 11:42 AM
The price multiplier you're looking for is the 2x for 1 minute duration, which is not reduced by daily limits. Formula for 1/day Polymorph is 22,400, for 7 minutes. Would I allow that? Eh, sure, but then I'm not going to let you cheese it either, and the price of a scroll of Polymorph Any Object doesn't much matter when I'm abolishing that ridiculous duration table.

Phrasing in the OP doesn't make it clear whether the DM is giving as in picking the item, or the players are picking the items, though presumably it's the latter.

Shroud of Scales or Shirt of X-skin is quite effective unless your DM throws DR piercing humanoids at you, but then Greater Boots of the Mountain King's 1/day Stoneskin is generally better. Robe of Arcane Might combines the usefulness of never actually having to bother casting Mage Armor with +1 caster level on your favorite school, or a Cloak of Battle has the armor bonus with disarming- or just go for the War Wizard Cloak's grab bag which also includes a daily Mage Armor. Mask of the Skull and Turquoise Veil are just a daily save or die, while the Flesh Eater and Harrow rods and Lens of the Desert are multiple daily death sentences at the lowest levels. Boots of Speed and Cloak of Mysterious Emergence (Dragon Magic) are both far under limit, but are still strong for the entire game, as is a Broom of Flying. Gwaeron's Belt gives overland travel, squeezing through cracks, and some flaming weapon as well. A Ring of Wizardry 1 is worth a lot of spells now and a lot of spells later. If people love miss chances so much, they should marry a Minor Cloak of Displacement. A Warlock could do worse than skipping straight to Greater Chasuble of Fell Power, same goes for a natural weapon build and Amulet of Mighty Fists +2. A MAD person might want a Belt of Magnificence +2 (Minis Handbook). Any combat Figurine of Wondrous Power will solo stuff for a few levels, Marble Elephant having the most staying power while the Golden Beetle (Sandstorm) is the most open-ended.

A Minor Iceheart (Frostburn) is a source of lots of daily battlefiend control with those Sleet Storms, while a Waterskin of Deluge (Sandstorm) is way under budget but also hilariously destructive 1/week. A Healing Nodule Graft (Magic of Eberron) gives you 1/hour Cure Serious with a daily Remove Disease option, much survival aside from your -6 starting hp.

The +4 ability mod or +5 cloak/vest of Resistance or +3 deflect/natural is boring but obvious, and that's where a lot of classic FR "specific" items have multiple benefits. Rod of Splendor hits cha plus fancy stuff, I think the Greater Belt of Priestly Might's probably in there, etc.

What you'd want depends on the character, party, and game, obviously. For longevity of use the Boots of Speed and Cloak of Mysterious Emergence are hard to beat, though the 1/day Stoneskin of Greater Boots of the Mountain King is up there and the War Wizard Cloak has a Dim Door as part of its grab bag. Anything else is going to depend a lot on whether you need power now, or need to get your money's worth because items will be short later.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-13, 11:43 AM
Just as it would with the at-will, all-day duration skin. The cost should scale accordingly.
Yeah, and in this the case the permanent duration adds a flat cost after the daily charges are calculated. Because it's worth just as much with 1 charge as with infinite charges.
Or even considerably more - you could after all simply re-use the at-will item when it runs out.

Note that, as mentioned previously, a scroll of polymorph any object would be FAR cheaper, and yet it could also be permanent.
That's not nearly the same thing - i explained why above - and you know it too or you wouldn't be arguing to buy the 11,2k gp item instead of the 3k gp scroll.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-13, 11:56 AM
Yeah, and in this the case the permanent duration adds a flat cost after the daily charges are calculated. Because it's worth just as much with 1 charge as with infinite charges.
Or even considerably more - you could after all simply re-use the at-will item when it runs out.

That's not nearly the same thing - i explained why above - and you know it too or you wouldn't be arguing to buy the 11,2k gp item instead of the 3k gp scroll.The phylactery allows you to change your shape 1/day (and go back to your original form, should you desire to), and it doesn't affect your Int score (which could be good or bad, depending on your original Int and the forms you choose). Even with a scroll available, the phylactery could well be worth it due to the above.

Troacctid
2018-08-13, 01:09 PM
The phylactery allows you to change your shape 1/day (and go back to your original form, should you desire to), and it doesn't affect your Int score (which could be good or bad, depending on your original Int and the forms you choose). Even with a scroll available, the phylactery could well be worth it due to the above.
It's more that it doesn't require any DC 35 Use Magic Device checks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-08-13, 02:42 PM
It's more that it doesn't require any DC 35 Use Magic Device checks.I guess this could be an issue if there are no casters available who would cast it for you.