PDA

View Full Version : DM Help the SAINTHOOD decribed in the book “Book-of-Exalted-Deeds”

WinterIsComing
2018-08-10, 04:41 AM
Q1. the question is about the SAINTHOOD decribed in the book “Book-of-Exalted-Deeds”
if after becoming a saint, the character commits an evil act : what are the conséquences ? The powers acquired with the saint can be lost , or are acquired definitively ?

MeimuHakurei
2018-08-10, 04:51 AM
"Saint" is a template that can be applied to any creature of good alignment. By that logic, any creature ceasing to be of good alignment would no longer qualify for the template and therefore no longer have it.

I'd probably rule this similar to a paladin where a willingly evil act takes it away from you, maybe with the possibility to regain it through the atonement spell depending on the circumstances.

Necroticplague
2018-08-10, 07:15 PM
"Saint" is a template that can be applied to any creature of good alignment. By that logic, any creature ceasing to be of good alignment would no longer qualify for the template and therefore no longer have it. Templates don't work that way. If they did, a massive amount of them would flat-out not work properly. Like most undead-producing templates, which require 'a living creature'.

Q1. the question is about the SAINTHOOD decribed in the book “Book-of-Exalted-Deeds”
if after becoming a saint, the character commits an evil act : what are the conséquences ? The powers acquired with the saint can be lost , or are acquired definitively ?
Well, since Sainthood is a template, it's forever. However, any evil act will cause a Saint to lose all their Exalted feats (which Saint requires you to have).

Telonius
2018-08-11, 12:51 AM
It's a Template, but it's also an acquired Template, not an inherited one. I'd treat this the same way I'd treat someone who was cured of lycanthropy. Though the rules don't come out and explicitly say the character loses the template (either for "fallen" Saints or cured Lycanthropes), it's pretty clear that would be the intent.

Calthropstu
2018-08-11, 02:21 AM
Obviously this thread goes over my head.

Feantar
2018-08-11, 06:26 AM
Since a saint doesn't get the good subtype... nothing. You loose your exalted feats, but the template remains. Maybe this is why gods very rarely apply the saint template, because it can be used for evil deeds. Remember that the saint template does not bestow the good subtype, which means your nature is still free willed.

Note that when something like a template includes a fall clause, it is stated explicitly (See Dragonborn).

Blue Jay
2018-08-11, 08:29 AM
Templates don't work that way. If they did, a massive amount of them would flat-out not work properly. Like most undead-producing templates, which require 'a living creature'.

Well, unlike most templates, sainthood does have an explicit ongoing requirement: "Must at all times behave in a way the DM considers to be exemplary of the exalted path described in this book." So RAI seems pretty clear: qualification for sainthood isn't supposed to be a one-time deal, but is something you have to maintain in perpetuity.

I think that alone justifies the idea that you lose the template through bad behavior. But, there really should be something more explicit than that.