PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Best option for a frontline Gnome 3.5

Shocksrivers
2018-08-10, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone, bin a while since my last post.

So I DM a group of 4 low-power lvl 6 characters. I wanted to get a type of villain of the week thing going, the 7 Gnome children of the Big Bad wizard.

So far I have a Rogue, a Druid, a Trixie sorcerer and as the final one I am thinking a Alchemist or Artificer.

However, I still really need at least one melee-type enemy. Now I was wondering how to make an interesting villain of a small character with a strength -

Selfbuff cleric, a evil paladin or a blackguard, maybe a barbarian (making the most of the con bonus), other suggestions?

StreamOfTheSky
2018-08-10, 02:59 PM
In general, I suggest a whisper gnome and doing a dex-based melee character, taking feats to use dex for attack and damage.

Your title says 3.5, but post mentions considering Alchemist, a PF class... If Alchemist is open, you can do Vivisectionist (and Beastmorph, if you like) archetypes to get rid of bombs for SA and fight like a melee rogue, using the mutagen for a dex buff. Discoveries can give you some extra pointy bits, and wings.

I also enjoy whisper gnome swordsage. It's feat-heavy, but you can dip martial rogue (UA variant, gain fighter feats; lose SA) for a 2 level dip (2 feats, evasion) or 4 level dip (3rd feat, Uncanny Dodge). Besides that, w/ Swordsage you can get Assassin's Stance and other Shadow Hand stances and qualify for Shadow Blade feat (dex to damage). Level 6 range is actually the sweet spot for a whisper gnome swordsage, since the level 3 tiger claw strike, Soaring Raptor Strike, is absolutely devastating when it's first available. The catch is it only works on larger foes, but you're a gnome... :smallwink:
Other good choices are Cloak of Deception and/or distracting Ember if you want to SA; Counter Charge to foil enemy charges, and Sudden Leap to move and full attack.
If you can afford it, get spiked chain proficiency and combat reflexes, perhaps. Oh, and Adaptive Style is mandatory for a Swordsage. Yeah...feat heavy...

The Viscount
2018-08-10, 04:41 PM
The Shadowcloak paladin substitution levels for Gnome would be a good fusion of Full BA and sneaking, and you could progress from a Paladin of Tyranny to Blackguard to continue the theme.

Piggy Knowles
2018-08-10, 04:48 PM
A small mounted charger is always a classic. Spirited Charge and Power Attack on a medium-sized mount means it’ll have solid damage output and maneuverability despite the small size and low Strength. Have it ride something thematic like a dire badger for extra style points.

ShurikVch
2018-08-10, 04:51 PM
For the first two levels - CE Soulborn, so Incarnum Defense would negate your gnomish Str penalty; then - 4 levels of Crusader

Amemnon91
2018-08-10, 04:58 PM
First options that come to mind with that kind of melee fighter is a fighter/rogue thug variant from unearthed arcana or a rogue/swashbuckler with the daring outlaw feat for more of a suave villain. The +2 racial bonus to int helps nicely with the latter build.

RaiKirah
2018-08-10, 05:33 PM
A small mounted charger is always a classic. Spirited Charge and Power Attack on a medium-sized mount means it’ll have solid damage output and maneuverability despite the small size and low Strength. Have it ride something thematic like a dire badger for extra style points.

If you can wield a heavy lance and have access to Dragonlance material, the Tremendous Charge feat lets you substitute your mount's strength for yours when determining damage on the charge.

As others have said, Paladin into Blackguard focusing on mounted combat could be excellent.

noce
2018-08-10, 06:55 PM
Also consider blade bravo from races of stone.

StreamOfTheSky
2018-08-10, 09:44 PM

That has some high entry requirements and doesn't really get good until several levels in.

OP said this was for a villain to fight level 6 characters...

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-11, 12:58 AM
A Totemist could be fun. Level 6 is enough for 4 soulmelds and 2 chakra binds, so you can get some nice combos going.

Shocksrivers
2018-08-11, 06:20 AM
In general, I suggest a whisper gnome and doing a dex-based melee character, taking feats to use dex for attack and damage.

Your title says 3.5, but post mentions considering Alchemist, a PF class... If Alchemist is open, you can do Vivisectionist (and Beastmorph, if you like) archetypes to get rid of bombs for SA and fight like a melee rogue, using the mutagen for a dex buff. Discoveries can give you some extra pointy bits, and wings.

Yeah, we don't play really strict with stuff like this, so we add PF-features we like. This might be a good call, though I wanted to save the Alchemist as a final complicated, prepared villain. On the other hand, they won't necessarily know the class, so it doesn't really matter :smallsmile:

I also enjoy whisper gnome swordsage.

One of our characters is a swashbuckler/swordsage, and I would prefer not to get to close to the characterdesign of my players, to avoid showing them their build, but better. (Also, this is what I mean with low-power, my player liked swordsage more than warblade, even though the core ability doesn't fit with swashbuckler or her stats...)

Shocksrivers
2018-08-11, 06:24 AM
The Shadowcloak paladin substitution levels for Gnome would be a good fusion of Full BA and sneaking, and you could progress from a Paladin of Tyranny to Blackguard to continue the theme.

If you can wield a heavy lance and have access to Dragonlance material, the Tremendous Charge feat lets you substitute your mount's strength for yours when determining damage on the charge.

As others have said, Paladin into Blackguard focusing on mounted combat could be excellent.

Ooh, this might be fun, I don't think we have ever had mounted combat before, and they are in a desert wasteland with lot's of open space... Can one SA from horseback?

RaiKirah
2018-08-11, 11:08 AM
Can one SA from horseback?

Subject to the same restrictions as usual, yes. May I draw your attention to the Shadow Hand stance Island of Blades? A mount counts as an ally...

StreamOfTheSky
2018-08-11, 11:33 PM
One of our characters is a swashbuckler/swordsage, and I would prefer not to get to close to the character-design of my players, to avoid showing them their build, but better. (Also, this is what I mean with low-power, my player liked swordsage more than warblade, even though the core ability doesn't fit with swashbuckler or her stats...)

Heh, I'm the opposite, at least with the martial characters (which is both my preference as a player and thus I know much more about building one and the ones I figure need all the help they can get).

Wrapping up a 5 year campaign now, and I was often using classes/builds similar to the PC's for NPC foes when appropriate. I liked giving them some of my favorite tricks and combos, showcasing them against the party, then the player would be all like, "wow, how's he do that?" and I'd share the feat/class/etc... and they'd often look into incorporating it into their character.
Heck, one guy started off having never even looked at ToB and just took a 1 level Warblade dip on his Fighter/Barb build concept after i encouraged him to give it a try. 17 levels and several retrainings later, he's finishing the campaign as a Warblade 10 / Eternal Blade 10 and loves ToB now. :smallsmile:

Zaq
2018-08-12, 12:34 AM

Here's the classic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19914052) Blade Bravo build, if that's helpful.

Shocksrivers
2018-08-12, 09:12 AM
Heh, I'm the opposite, at least with the martial characters (which is both my preference as a player and thus I know much more about building one and the ones I figure need all the help they can get).

Wrapping up a 5 year campaign now, and I was often using classes/builds similar to the PC's for NPC foes when appropriate. I liked giving them some of my favorite tricks and combos, showcasing them against the party, then the player would be all like, "wow, how's he do that?" and I'd share the feat/class/etc... and they'd often look into incorporating it into their character.
Heck, one guy started off having never even looked at ToB and just took a 1 level Warblade dip on his Fighter/Barb build concept after i encouraged him to give it a try. 17 levels and several retrainings later, he's finishing the campaign as a Warblade 10 / Eternal Blade 10 and loves ToB now. :smallsmile:

Ha, yeah, I can see how that's fun, so I might reconsider!

And Zaq, thanks alot! That's really helpful :)

Thanks everyone for the input!

Coventry
2018-08-12, 12:25 PM
The Pathfinder Synthesist Summoner rules easily overcomes the problem of a small size character wanting to tank, because wearing the eidolon boosts the character to medium size, turns all three physical stats into dump stats, and with minimal gear can still be a challenge to the party.

This design is based on using the (13/12/11/10/9/8) array for ability scores, assigned like so:

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

Base:

Adjusted for Race:

Eidolon Override:
-
-
-

Final:
14*
12*

* The level 4 ability score bonus was dropped into WIS on the gnome (to pick up the +1 on the will saving throw), and in CON on the eidolon (to add 5 hit points to the gnome and 4 temporary hit points to the eidolon).

Alternate racial Trait:
Fey Magic, replacing Obsessive. Grants uses of minor druidic magic in one terrain type. Used to pick up "Enlarge Tail", which grants reach to the Eidolon's tail attack.

Eidolon
Base Form: Quadruped
Evolutions: Legs (free), Legs (free), Bite (free), Claws, Tail, Sting, Flight (Wings), Improved Natural Armor, Improved Natural Armor, Pounce.

I am imagining a medium-sized clockwork suit of bumblebee armor, but the appearance is just fluff.

Spells
6 Level 0: (6 your choice)
4 Level 1: Shield, Mage Armor, (2 your choice)
3 Level 2: Barkskin, Summon Eidolon (1 your choice)

Feats
(3 your choice)

Skills
Invest heavily into Fly in order to be able to hover. Everything else is fair game.

Hit points are effectively 75 (43 plus 32 temporary).

If given time to buff before battle, Armor Class increases by +4 (armor) with Mage Armor, +2 extra shield (+2 to +4) with Shield, and +2 extra natural armor (+10 to +12) with Barkskin.

Gnome summoner (synthesist) 5 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player's Guide 54, Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Magic 80)
NE Medium humanoid (gnome)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +3
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 25, touch 13, flat-footed 30 (+3 Dex, +10 natural, +2 shield)
hp 43 (5d8+15)
Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +7; +2 vs. illusions
Defensive Abilities defensive training, evasion
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft., fly 40 ft. (good), fly 5 ft. (average)
Melee bite +7 (1d6+3), 2 claws +7 (1d4+3), sting +7 (1d4+3)
Special Attacks hatred, pounce
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 5th; concentration +7)
. . 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound (DC 13), prestidigitation, speak with animals
Summoner Spell-Like Abilities (CL 5th; concentration +7)
. . 5/day—summon monster III
Summoner (Synthesist) Spells Known (CL 5th; concentration +7)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Base Atk +4; CMB +7; CMD 20
Skills Acrobatics +3 (+7 to jump, +5 to balance), Fly +15, Perception +3; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception
Languages Common, Gnome, Sylvan
SQ fey magic, fused eidolon, fused link, gnome magic, shielded meld
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Defensive Training +4 Gain a dodge bonus to AC vs. monsters of the Giant subtype.
Evasion (Ex) No damage on successful reflex save.
Fey Magic (Favored Terrain [Plains]) Gain spell-like abilities in selected terrain.
Fly (40 feet, Good) You can fly!
Fused Eidolon (32/32 HP) The synthesist wears the eidolon like translucent, living armor.
Fused Link (Su) Starting at 1st level, the synthesist forms a close bond with his eidolon. Whenever the temporary hit points from his eidolon would be reduced to 0, the summoner can, as a free action, sacrifice any number of his own hit points. Each hit point sacrificed this way prevents 1 poin of damage done to the eidolon.
Gnome Magic Add 1 to the DCs of any saving throws to resist illusion spells cast.
Hatred +1 Gain a bonus to attack vs. goblinoid/reptilian humanoids.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in dim light, distinguishing color and detail.
Pounce (Ex) You can make a full attack as part of a charge.
Shielded Meld (Ex) At 4th level, whenever the synthesist is fused with his eidolon, he gains a +2 shield bonus to his Armor Class and a +2 circumstance bonus on his saving throws. This ability replaces shield ally.
Summon Monster III (5/day) (Sp) Standard action summon lasts minutes, but only 1 active at a time and can't use with eidolon.

Gear
The only thing this gnome needs is a spell component pouch. High on the gnome's want list from the wizard-boss will be a belt of giant strength +2 and an amulet of mighty fists +1.