PDA

View Full Version : Superhero M&M 3e Concept Build

The_Architect
2018-08-10, 08:29 PM
There used to be a thread on building powers for M&M 3e, but since it hasn't been active since last April, it's probably best to do a thread.

I wanted to iron out a power concept, inspired by both Trafalgar Law from One Piece, and the Egyptian goddess Nut. In One Piece, Trafalgar Law gained the power to create a space called a ROOM from the Op-Op fruit, in which he can "operate" on anything inside.

In Egypt, the goddess Nut was the goddess of the sky, and her body formed a vault over the world, with her hands and feet touching north, south, east, and west. Apparently I can't post links or images, but pictures of Nut can be found on a Yahoo! Images search for "Nut" and "Egypt."

I've combined these ideas together, where a character has a Sidekick who, if you were to personify it, would be a Burst Area like Nut, only on a smaller scale. For purely illustrative purposes, say Burst Area 2, a 60 ft. radius. Like Nut, it doesn't actually have a physical body, but it can be conceptualized in those terms for the purposes of the Sidekick. It can see anything and anyone within its 60 ft. area (Radius: Vision, Counters All Concealment: Vision, Penetrates Concealment: Vision, Limited: to its area). It can perceive any phenomena that happens within its area, and has sufficient ranks of Quickness to be able to process what happens and react to it. If someone were to shoot a bullet into the area, it would see the bullet as it enters its area, and react in that time. It would see Speedsters running into its area. This effect would be Rapid Vision, but I'm not sure how many ranks would be necessary.

It would have a Communication Link with the character it's a Sidekick for (Senses: 1), and through this link would be able to communicate what it sees to the main character, and the MC could tell it what to do. To avoid being overpowered, the Sidekick would have the Complication that it could only act defensively. So, if someone was trying to snipe the MC, while the MC would be incapable of reacting to a bullet once it's been fired, the Sidekick would perceive the bullet the moment it entered its area, and would be capable of reacting fast enough to stop it before it reaches the MC. This addresses characters who have powers that would be able to defend it, but aren't fast enough to actually react to an attack as it's happening, unless their defensive power is always on.

On its turn it would use Aid to add circumstance bonuses to the MC's defense, but would be incapable of granting bonuses to attack checks, per the Complication. I'm having trouble of thinking of other things it could do beside giving Aid. It's supposed to be limited in capacity, but it since Aids can only be used for someone in melee, it could spend a lot of turns doing nothing.

So this is the outline:

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Powers
Concealment: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Innate; Permanent)
Immunity: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects)
Insubstantial: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; Innate; Permanent)
Senses: Senses 1 (Communication Link: Mental Link with MC)
Senses: Senses 10 (Counters All Concealment: Vision, Penetrates Concealment: Vision, Radius: Vision; Limited: to its area)

Complications
Cannot act offensively.
Cannot move past 60 ft. radius centered on MC.

Those are the effects I know, but I'm looking for suggestions for necessary senses in the sufficient ranks, and defensive actions it could take aside from Aid actions. (Actually, I just remembered it could use a standard action to Defend. Can you use a Defend action to defend for someone else?) And it seems I need something with an attack check that's non-damaging for the purposes of Aid, since you need to make an attack check for it. It wouldn't have any STR or STA, or PRE, but I'm assuming it would need AWE for Perception checks. I'm unsure of AGL, since it would be a Burst Area centered around the MC, and would be incapable of moving beyond the MC, being tethered to him (another Complication, probably). But since it would move with the MC when the MC moves, its area being centered around the MC, it might need some. DEX is for hand-eye coordination/manual dexterity, and it doesn't have hands. Perhaps it might have Enhanced Perception and Skill Mastery: Perception, Limited to anything within its area. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BarbieTheRPG
2018-08-10, 09:26 PM
You want a character that can touch anywhere ("under the Sky"):

Spatial Embrace: Move Object X; perception (visual), damaging, precise, subtle [4pp per rank + 2], linked to
Remote Sensing X; visual & auditory; [3pp per rank]

Should cover it.